*** Official IOWA STATE Vs #16 Auburn Game(Day) Thread ***

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I disagree. Matt was far better as a freshman. I’m not saying Grill won’t pan out, but he’s far from ready.
Matt wasn't very good as a freshman or a Sophomore. There's a reason by the time Big 12 rolled around and the competition got tougher he wasn't starting and wasn't playing many minutes. Not to mention why he didn't start a game as a Sophomore. Understandably ISU had a hole in the starting lineup as a Fr that seemingly he could fill. But realistically as a Fr and So he was only a spot up shooter that wasn't shooting well. IN HS he was a good off the bounce guy, but that is a big adjustment. Should be a good lesson why you don't give up on a guy early. Matt's development on both ends of the court was dramatic.

• Agree
Reactions: simply1

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
can't wait for Grill to take Lewis' minutes against Baylor. Nixon and Jacobson starting and playing 30 minutes. Lewis DNP.

So you want to keep playing the worst +/- guys? Nixon once again has the worst +/- on the team (-14 today). Against OU he was -6 in a win (only other in neg. numbers was Jacobson). Nixon was -26 against TTech! Is 12% from 3 pt in Big 12 and not a defensive stopper as advertised. Jacobson and Nixon starting is why they fall behind at the beginning of games.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Thought they were pretty decent today.

In some aspects.... yes. Haliburton, Young, and Lewis kept fighting and played hard and that was good to see.

Shooting.... was still far from decent today... especially wide open 3's which weren't bad shots to take. Missed nearly every important one that I can remember.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Matt wasn't very good as a freshman or a Sophomore. There's a reason by the time Big 12 rolled around and the competition got tougher he wasn't starting and wasn't playing many minutes. Not to mention why he didn't start a game as a Sophomore. Understandably ISU had a hole in the starting lineup as a Fr that seemingly he could fill. But realistically as a Fr and So he was only a spot up shooter that wasn't shooting well. IN HS he was a good off the bounce guy, but that is a big adjustment. Should be a good lesson why you don't give up on a guy early. Matt's development on both ends of the court was dramatic.
Again, Matt was still much better as a freshman than Grill has been. That is pretty much undeniable. Stats also back it up if you don’t remember. I’m not saying Grill can’t be good. Gun to my head though an I’d guess he doesn’t have near the career Thomas had. Could be a valuable bench guy down the road though.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: Cyclad and CloneIce

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I think Grill plays as hard as anyone when he is on the court. Despite not making his threes yet, I think he makes contributions. I’m hoping he gets a couple threes to fall and I think that will do wonders for him. I like the minutes he is getting. It’s an investment in my opinion.

I’m not one to be negative on specific players, but I think we need to shake up the starting lineup. Some of the non starters are just bringing more energy than some of the starters. Time to see if these guys can grow with the opportunity.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Again, Matt was still much better as a freshman than Grill has been. That is pretty much undeniable. Stats also back it up if you don’t remember. I’m not saying Grill can’t be good. Gun to my head though an I’d guess he doesn’t have near the career Thomas had. Could be a valuable bench guy down the road though.
The comparison is there because people gave up on Ice his freshman year, that’s not to say grill has to meet or exceed an NBA role player. It’s the fact that fans give up on freshmen and it’s ridiculous to make those claims yet.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
The comparison is there because people gave up on Ice his freshman year, that’s not to say grill has to meet or exceed an NBA role player. It’s the fact that fans give up on freshmen and it’s ridiculous to make those claims yet.
Nobody gave up on Matt after his freshman year. A bunch of people did after his sophomore year cause he took a step back.

• Agree
Reactions: Mississippi Clone1

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I think he’s a good player playing in a larger role than originally asked of him when he got here. Still a young guy.
He’s really on the ball a lot at the end, rather than Hali. But he’s got some scorers swagger so

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana

Wasn’t Matt basically a fan whipping boy much of his freshman year and saw his minutes decline as the season progressed? He overcame that year with hard work and improved confidence.

• Agree
Reactions: ca4cy and JP4CY

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
So you want to keep playing the worst +/- guys? Nixon once again has the worst +/- on the team (-14 today). Against OU he was -6 in a win (only other in neg. numbers was Jacobson). Nixon was -26 against TTech! Is 12% from 3 pt in Big 12 and not a defensive stopper as advertised. Jacobson and Nixon starting is why they fall behind at the beginning of games.

I think you should spam text Prohm with this post! Send again and again and again.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
My preferred lineup going forward:
Bolton / Jackson
Haliburton / Nixon
Griffen / Grill
Lewis / Jacobsen
Young / Conditt

Conditt being the only bench players that should get more than 5-10 minutes per game. Either Bolton or Haliburton on the floor at all times. Nixon has a red light from 3 unless it is a kickout.

• Agree
Reactions: HouClone

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
That was his sophomore year.

It was prior to his sophomore year he had the OWI, correct? Plus going through a lot of stuff in general, as I recall from an article from earlier this fall. And none of us really knew it at the time.

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
It’s funny you remove solo from the starting lineup.. and the none starters thrive.. solo isn’t the problem.. at this point in the season even a half brain coach should know the best lineup.. I’ll give you a hint prohm, it doesn’t involve Jacobson or Nixon most people knew this a month ago why is the guy that gets paid to know not getting it.

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84