*** Official IOWA STATE Vs #14 Wisconsin Game(Day) Thread ***

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Greg Gard is one of four finalists for coach of the year?

Are you referring to this list? (I'm only checking to verify, I hadn't followed it that closely).

And I see TJ isn't even on this list. That leads me to the question, do they vote based on the regular season only or the entire season including any postseason tournament (NCAA)?

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Hey, the script gets flipped now. Instead of playing Bucky on basically their home court, we'll have a big-time home crowd in Chicago vs Miami.

A potential rematch with KU will probably be pretty evenly split, but we'll have plenty there for that one too. Obviously, we'd outdraw Providence by a huge margin.

As crazy as it sounds, our path going forward to a potential Final 4 is probably one of the best scenarios we could hope for right now.

These guys have a huge opportunity here.
I'll be dating myself here, but first year of Johnny era at the Horizon in Chicago against Illinois over New Years. Next day newspapers basically said (paraphrased) 'technically it was a home game for the Illini, but you wouldn't know it by the majority contingency of Iowa State fans'. That also was the 3 blind mice (ie refs) reference by Orr after the game. Bottom line: Iowa State travels well!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Overheard today in a sandwich shop in Madison. “Why the hell isn’t Iowa Sate in the Big 10? Instead we get Rutgers.”

The UW fans I will be interacting with this week won't be like that.

It will about the guy with zero points who kept letting Hunter get to the basket getting injured.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
And I see TJ isn't even on this list. That leads me to the question, do they vote based on the regular season only or the entire season including any postseason tournament (NCAA)?
I'm not familiar enough with the process - so I'm only guessing here w/ limited info - fan vote (5%) is open March 22-29, men's winner announced April 3 ... I assume "official" vote would be due sometime around March 29 - so still could take into account most of the tournament. But I imagine the nominees were determined prior to tournament.

Reactions: t-noah

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I was watching another tournament game right before ours started, and not sure if anyone else noticed, but the ticker showed Iowa State 2, Wisconsin 0. I think it was at about 5 pm, and it made me panic and switch to our game, but it hadn't started yet. Just thought that was odd.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I was watching another tournament game right before ours started, and not sure if anyone else noticed, but the ticker showed Iowa State 2, Wisconsin 0. I think it was at about 5 pm, and it made me panic and switch to our game, but it hadn't started yet. Just thought that was odd.
I did the same thing!

Reactions: Cyclonepride

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
A few people were arguing the davidson vs conditt collision moving screen foul.

Here's a nice condensed version of the rule:

Legal screening is when the player who is screening an opponent:

• Is stationary (within the vertical plane) when contact occurs.
  • Has both feet on the floor when contact occurs.
  • Time and distance are relevant.
  • The screener shall be stationary, except when both the screener and opponent are moving in the same path and the same direction.
Illegal screening is when the player who is screening an opponent:

• Is moving when contact occurred.
  • Does not give sufficient distance in setting a screen outside the field of vision of a stationary opponent when contact occurred.
  • Does not respect the elements of time and distance of an opponent in motion when contact occurred.
  • A player may not use arms, hands, hips, or shoulders to force movement through a screen or hold the screener and then push the screener aside in order to maintain legal guarding position.
If the screen is set within the field of vision of a stationary opponent (front or lateral), the screener may establish the screen as close to the opponent as desired, provided there is no contact.

If the screen is set outside the field of vision of a stationary opponent, the screener must permit the opponent to take 1 normal step towards the screen without making contact.

If the opponent is in motion, the elements of time and distance shall apply. The screener must leave enough space so that the player who is being screened is able to avoid the screen by stopping or changing direction.

The distance required is never less than 1 and never more than 2 normal steps.

A player who is legally screened is responsible for any contact with the player who has set the screen.

Based on those requirements. Here is what I would argue:

1) Conditt gave Davison 2 steps after the release of the ball.

2) Conditt was not in the direct path of the defensive player to his target

3) Conditt did not make ANY movement toward Davison

4) Davison changed his course to intentionally collide with Conditt. You can see where he takes a hard right off his left foot before planting his right and initiating contact with Conditt. It looks very intentional to me. The only excuse I could see for this would be that he was going to try to cut behind Conditt's defender, realized that he couldn't do it and tried to right his course AND in turn ran into Conditt that is allowed to have his space on the floor without being accosted by another player.

5) Davison DID get the call on the first contact, but continued to try to collide after the whistle (just shows what he was trying to do)

6) This was well in the field of vision of Davison, (Maybe not Conditt as he got run into from the backside)

7) Conditt's feet were "pretty" set until he was knocked off balance by Davison

THEREFORE, IF Conditt was not a screener, which is my contention based on all of the above points, then he is not capable of setting a moving screen and the action taken by Davison to cause that collision is a foul called displacement on HIM.

Please feel free to argue my points. Even if you aren't a Varsity BB coach.

• Winner
Reactions: Snydes and clone52

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
I'll be dating myself here, but first year of Johnny era at the Horizon in Chicago against Illinois over New Years. Next day newspapers basically said (paraphrased) 'technically it was a home game for the Illini, but you wouldn't know it by the majority contingency of Iowa State fans'. That also was the 3 blind mice (ie refs) reference by Orr after the game. Bottom line: Iowa State travels well!
I remember the old Horizon. Hey, I'm old enough to remember when the roof collapsed back in '79.

I was at the UC for the Duke/ISU game some years back during the McDermott era. Great ISU crowd for that one.

And our last Sweet 16 at the UC vs Virginia was an amazing ISU crowd. I wasn't there but on TV, it sounded like Hilton East. And that's how it's going to sound Fri night as well.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think I’m gonna like this King kid

I think if there were more stuff like this including film of their time together more people would think this is a pretty damn special group.

Also add in that Tre King kind of looks like a bad dude and I got a little excited for next year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
A few people were arguing the davidson vs conditt collision moving screen foul.

Here's a nice condensed version of the rule:

Legal screening is when the player who is screening an opponent:

• Is stationary (within the vertical plane) when contact occurs.
  • Has both feet on the floor when contact occurs.
  • Time and distance are relevant.
  • The screener shall be stationary, except when both the screener and opponent are moving in the same path and the same direction.
Illegal screening is when the player who is screening an opponent:

• Is moving when contact occurred.
  • Does not give sufficient distance in setting a screen outside the field of vision of a stationary opponent when contact occurred.
  • Does not respect the elements of time and distance of an opponent in motion when contact occurred.
  • A player may not use arms, hands, hips, or shoulders to force movement through a screen or hold the screener and then push the screener aside in order to maintain legal guarding position.
If the screen is set within the field of vision of a stationary opponent (front or lateral), the screener may establish the screen as close to the opponent as desired, provided there is no contact.

If the screen is set outside the field of vision of a stationary opponent, the screener must permit the opponent to take 1 normal step towards the screen without making contact.

If the opponent is in motion, the elements of time and distance shall apply. The screener must leave enough space so that the player who is being screened is able to avoid the screen by stopping or changing direction.

The distance required is never less than 1 and never more than 2 normal steps.

A player who is legally screened is responsible for any contact with the player who has set the screen.

Based on those requirements. Here is what I would argue:

1) Conditt gave Davison 2 steps after the release of the ball.

2) Conditt was not in the direct path of the defensive player to his target

3) Conditt did not make ANY movement toward Davison

4) Davison changed his course to intentionally collide with Conditt. You can see where he takes a hard right off his left foot before planting his right and initiating contact with Conditt. It looks very intentional to me. The only excuse I could see for this would be that he was going to try to cut behind Conditt's defender, realized that he couldn't do it and tried to right his course AND in turn ran into Conditt that is allowed to have his space on the floor without being accosted by another player.

5) Davison DID get the call on the first contact, but continued to try to collide after the whistle (just shows what he was trying to do)

6) This was well in the field of vision of Davison, (Maybe not Conditt as he got run into from the backside)

7) Conditt's feet were "pretty" set until he was knocked off balance by Davison

THEREFORE, IF Conditt was not a screener, which is my contention based on all of the above points, then he is not capable of setting a moving screen and the action taken by Davison to cause that collision is a foul called displacement on HIM.

Please feel free to argue my points. Even if you aren't a Varsity BB coach.

The purposeful stomping on Conditt's lower leg needs more love here. The flopping or whatever is a player taking advantage of rules that aren't consistently applied.

THAT was worth kicking him out.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Listening now to Bucky podcast, I guess the Cyclone defense just lucked out. It must be a BIG thing that only the mighty BIG is worthy of a final 4. My reply to Bucky fans, GFY. Bucky's 5th Podcast.

Last edited:

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
The recent trend of immediately flashing to the players family every time they do something, is annoying. No, I don't care how they are reacting, get back to the damn game.

If they did it but only showed Monte's mom each time, then it would be okay.

She was the best in the stands.