*** Official Iowa State Season Thread ***

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Just wait until Brad Stevens gets canned in Boston. IU will have offered him a job within seconds.

This brings up a fun point not related to Iowa State. I wonder if Stevens would go back to the college game? He’s been successful enough in the NBA that he would get another shot there.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
This brings up a fun point not related to Iowa State. I wonder if Stevens would go back to the college game? He’s been successful enough in the NBA that he would get another shot there.
Only way I see Stevens going back to college is if it was for a big time job like Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
I love Pollard and I hope he stays for many more years, but if he doesn’t can Prohm this year it will really diminish all the good things he did here. That Prohm hire and extension are two of the worst mistakes an athletic director could make, just a horrendous lack of judgement from someone that has shown really good judgement in the past. He had prior telling him not to do the extension too...Nobody is perfect, but holy cow that was two gigantic mistakes.
The Prohm hire was fine! It was not a bad hire unless you're using hindsight. He had led Murray State to basically an 80% win percentage and developed Cameron Payne into a lottery pick.

The extension wasn't good in retrospect. This is also a ton of hyperbole. Pollard literally hired Gene Chizik. He Hired Greg McDermott. He also hired Fred and Matt Campbell who have brought us some of the best years in Iowa State sports.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
The Prohm hire was fine! It was not a bad hire unless you're using hindsight. He had led Murray State to basically an 80% win percentage and developed Cameron Payne into a lottery pick.

The extension wasn't good in retrospect. This is also a ton of hyperbole. Pollard literally hired Gene Chizik. He Hired Greg McDermott. He also hired Fred and Matt Campbell who have brought us some of the best years in Iowa State sports.

Prohm hire was very meh. Only one NCAA tournament with a team that was usually the most talented in the league. Prohm hire would have been ok if Fred had failed but you have a really good program at the time and could try to reach a little higher and maybe pay a little more but they went cheap mid major coach. I don't remember many people thinking it was some great hire.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I’m a JP guy, not moving on from Prohm would definitely change my opinion of him, but keeping CMC here is priority #1.

Exactly. Campbell has a clause in his contract where I think his buyout drops if Pollard isn't the AD. It's the AD at least until Campbell leaves.

You don't fire him for retaining the basketball coach. You just take it for what it is: a tacit admission that basketball isn't a priority here, or at least that his ego is so big he won't fire his guy.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Prohm hire was very meh. Only one NCAA tournament with a team that was usually the most talented in the league. Prohm hire would have been ok if Fred had failed but you have a really good program at the time and could try to reach a little higher and maybe pay a little more but they went cheap mid major coach. I don't remember many people thinking it was some great hire.
I completely agree. But also at time of hire nobody was saying it was "one of the worst mistakes an athletic director can make" as noted by the previous poster.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The Celtics aren't firing Stevens anytime soon.

Maybe not. But for some reason the guy seems to escape criticism. There's no reason for the Celtics to be this bad this year, and they've pretty well underperformed with the talent they've had over the last few years. His seat has to be getting a bit hot, and if IU opened up I wouldn't be surprised to see him jump back to the college game.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Maybe not. But for some reason the guy seems to escape criticism. There's no reason for the Celtics to be this bad this year, and they've pretty well underperformed with the talent they've had over the last few years. His seat has to be getting a bit hot, and if IU opened up I wouldn't be surprised to see him jump back to the college game.

Going to the conference finals twice in 3 years is underachieving?

Reactions: megamanxzero35

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Actually, I think there is plenty of reason for them to be this bad. Kemba has been pretty bad for them and can't stay healthy. Smart is out and their bench is not good at all. Teague has also missed about ten games I believe. And while Tatum and Brown are good, neither are superstars.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Going to the conference finals twice in 3 years is underachieving?

With their roster? I'd say so.

Just do a quick Twitter search of his name and see what fans think of him at the moment.

If Miller gets canned at IU I bet their first call is Stevens, and they'll throw all kinds of money at him. I'd imagine with how things are going in Boston, Stevens would give that quite a bit of consideration.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011

Just do a quick Twitter search of his name and see what fans think of him at the moment.

If Miller gets canned at IU I bet their first call is Stevens, and they'll throw all kinds of money at him. I'd imagine with how things are going in Boston, Stevens would give that quite a bit of consideration.
Stevens let's that call go straight to voicemail

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I just came up with it and shocked myself how good it was:)

So now the only goal of this thread should be to try and insert this phrase into the popular culture to the degree that somebody uses it publicly in media.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Until Brad Stevens isn't the coach of Boston anymore, he isn't considering anything in regards to Indiana. Also, Stevens is a good enough NBA coach to get a ton of offers from other NBA organizations if he'd ever get canned in Boston. He's made what, 3 ECF and although he lost all 3, two were against Lebron James and the other was in a COVID bubble year..

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Until Brad Stevens isn't the coach of Boston anymore, he isn't considering anything in regards to Indiana. Also, Stevens is a good enough NBA coach to get a ton of offers from other NBA organizations if he'd ever get canned in Boston. He's made what, 3 ECF and although he lost all 3, two were against Lebron James and the other was in a COVID bubble year..

Who knows, I'm probably wrong.

Did you see the clip of Tatum's interview the other night? You could hear guys in the locker room throwing stuff as Stevens yelled at them to stop. I can't imagine he wouldn't listen to an offer from IU if the money is right.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Just wait until Brad Stevens gets canned in Boston. IU will have offered him a job within seconds.
Is Stevens really on the hot seat? The Celtics are kind of meh outside of Brown and Tatum, who are both B-level stars at best. I think he's a good coach.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Who knows, I'm probably wrong.

Did you see the clip of Tatum's interview the other night? You could hear guys in the locker room throwing stuff as Stevens yelled at them to stop. I can't imagine he wouldn't listen to an offer from IU if the money is right.
I did hear that interview and that happens all the time in NBA locker rooms lol. The Celtics are STRUGGLING right now, but there are a lot of reasons for that. They're a talented enough team that will be fine down the road, especially when Kemba starts playing better and Smart comes back from injury.

I can assure you though, Stevens absolutely 100% would not listen to a phone call from Indiana at this very moment. Now, would he if he'd get fired in the future? I'm sure he would. But he's the head coach for the Boston Celtics and took his team to the ECF last year.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I did hear that interview and that happens all the time in NBA locker rooms lol. The Celtics are STRUGGLING right now, but there are a lot of reasons for that. They're a talented enough team that will be fine down the road, especially when Kemba starts playing better and Smart comes back from injury.

I can assure you though, Stevens absolutely 100% would not listen to a phone call from Indiana at this very moment. Now, would he if he'd get fired in the future? I'm sure he would. But he's the head coach for the Boston Celtics and took his team to the ECF last year.

Brad...is that you...?

Just for the sake of reference, from best I can tell Stevens' base salary with the Celtics is around 3.6 million:

Brad Stevens Contract, Salary Cap Details & Breakdowns | Spotrac

It looks like maybe this was extended last year but I can't find the terms.

Looks like Archie Miller has a base around 3.3 million that can top out above 4 millon:

Archie Miller's contract makes him among college basketball's highest-paid coaches (indystar.com)

So I don't think the pay difference is too great.

• Informative
Reactions: Snydes

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron