official enrollment numbers

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I work in a group that helps recruit students through the admissions office and I wouldnt say it was capped this year, they are definitely emphasizing out of state students.

So you are arguing that UI's decreased enrollment is due to a larger emphasis on out-of-state students this year?

In 2012, 47% of UI's incoming first-years were in-state (Source)

In 2013, that number is 48%. (Source)

So UI is failing at getting more out-of-staters worse than they are failing at getting more in-staters, which is already horrible.

Try again

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
And projections have us continuing to grow!

As another poster pointed out, some key numbers are new Iowa students, we are blowing them away. Year after year, we will continue to grow our brand. Also, ALOT of U of Is students are professional (med and law).

I'm not trying to **** on your point, because growing the brand in state should be first and foremost, but it wouldn't be bad to be able to point to other states as a good source for students when it comes to TV money. Iowa has relatively stagnant population numbers from what I have read before on here, so eventually to really grow the brand, eventually looking out of state might not be a bad idea. That being said though, I wouldn't do it at the cost of enrollment for in-state kids. Own your state is a good top priority.

sleestakCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 2, 2013
For the Fall Class of 2011, ISU started giving students an admission decision within 48 hours of the application. Iowa State's conversion rate (applicant to enrollment) went up from 58% to 64% that year and 65% in 2012; 2013 data not avialable yet. ISU admissions attributes the spike largely to that program although it was part of a larger admissions/marketing plan that ISU implemented to perfection, still using, and it is paying off in spades. That 6% increase resulted in an increase of instate students by 300 despite having an actual decrease in total instate applicants.

U Iowa has seen their conversion rate stay steady at 56%. The U Iowa pres was not happy that ISU was starting to kick Iowa's butt, so she told U Iowa admissions to copy what ISU is doing and they did. Iowa now offers a 48 hour decision.

ISU is so far ahead of Iowa in terms of admissions, marketing, enrollment management. etc. This is largely because ISU actually has solid leadership at the top.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Once Brandstad sees these numbers he will bring Marvin Pomerantz back from the dead and they will force ISU to sell off the college of Ag.

Nah, he wants to turn us into an online school and get rid of our buildings altogether now. He doesn't see why we need science labs.

RoseBowlBound

Sep 13, 2011
Iowa City via WDM
So you are arguing that UI's decreased enrollment is due to a larger emphasis on out-of-state students this year?

So UI is failing at getting more out-of-staters worse than they are failing at getting more in-staters, which is already horrible.

Try again
Welp I guess your right. The university of Iowa is failing and Iowa state soon will be the only school worth its salt. Hell, they might break the top 100 schools in the country. #daretodream

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Try again
Losing out of staters is a bigger revenue hit than out of staters.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm not so sure their decrease was on purpose. ISU's growth is primarily due to the ag industry being well-off right now and a demand for engineers, if the ag industry takes a dive or the demand for engineers starts to decrease ISU could possibly have some difficulty maintaining growth or could even see some decrease, there is a lot of uncertainty especially with the ag industry so who knows what will happen. ...

Fortunately, people will always need food and will always need **** built. :jimlad:

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

Maybe, but having more in-staters is having more in-staters. And if you have more in-staters then that's clearly more than having in-staters. Unless you don't, and then it's not.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Welp I guess your right. The university of Iowa is failing and Iowa state soon will be the only school worth its salt. Hell, they might break the top 100 schools in the country. #daretodream

Wow you're cool.

I guess that is why you post on here so much.

Typical squawk trash.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010

This brings up a good thing to consider. Yes, out of staters pay more $$$ than instate, so that does make up a gap (ISU fills it VERY nicely with international students). But there is a very strong movement in changing how the state of Iowa (Board of Regents) gives money to institutions. It used to be 40-40-20 (ISU, U I, UNI), but there is talk that, that is state money by taxpayers of Iowa...shouldn't more of that go to help those tax payers kids?

Yes, we all know a university isn't just about education, but I think that while out of states bring in more money, I think that the Board of Regents and the state will want to invest in their own, if that makes sense.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
And projections have us continuing to grow!

As another poster pointed out, some key numbers are new Iowa students, we are blowing them away. Year after year, we will continue to grow our brand. Also, ALOT of U of Is students are professional (med and law).
Total 1st year med and law students is about 250. Applications and enrollment at the law school are way down (like many other law schools) because of the lousy job market.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
This brings up a good thing to consider. Yes, out of staters pay more $$$ than instate, so that does make up a gap (ISU fills it VERY nicely with international students). But there is a very strong movement in changing how the state of Iowa (Board of Regents) gives money to institutions. It used to be 40-40-20 (ISU, U I, UNI), but there is talk that, that is state money by taxpayers of Iowa...shouldn't more of that go to help those tax payers kids?

Yes, we all know a university isn't just about education, but I think that while out of states bring in more money, I think that the Board of Regents and the state will want to invest in their own, if that makes sense.
Nonresidents pay 3X (or more?) tuition which helps keep tuition relatively low for in state kids. It is always a balancing act between revenue and fulfilling the mission to serve Iowans.