****Official Class Of 2024 Recruiting Thread****

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Maybe it's 247 insider info...

Guessing that we are full at guard for this class and will leave other spots to older transfers. Having Lipsey lockdown PG helps
That's what I would think. Pierce was recruited to be a point guard, so that spot is filled.

“They said that they want me to play the one over there.”

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Combo guard seems more likely. Back up Lipsey, off-guard minutes otherwise. For 2 years anyway, assuming Tamin is a 4-year guy.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
PG???......really?
Yep. From some of the film I've seen, he's got a strong handle and is really good at attacking the rim and playing through contact. His size is really nice, too. Could bully smaller defenders if he proves to be a lead guard at this level.

CascadiaClone

FKA BoredInKildee
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2012
Portland, Ore
if TJ thinks Pierce can play the 1 I’m all for it. Will be fun to see him bully some dudes. I’ve only seen brief highlights so not sure how accurate this is, but I think I remember someone comparing him to Kane?

Reactions: cyclonehomer

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Yep. From some of the film I've seen, he's got a strong handle and is really good at attacking the rim and playing through contact. His size is really nice, too. Could bully smaller defenders if he proves to be a lead guard at this level.
Well, would hope we see him at pg for his senior year at Christ the King then. Is their starter at pg a senior?

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
if TJ thinks Pierce can play the 1 I’m all for it. Will be fun to see him bully some dudes. I’ve only seen brief highlights so not sure how accurate this is, but I think I remember someone comparing him to Kane?
I think it is more likely that Lipsey and Williams will be the primary PG for the next 3 years and the staff were comfortable with that plan to deprioritize Asuma.
I do think Pierce can play some back up PG and initiate the offense much like Holmes does for stretches now. Pierce size and ability to play 1-4 allows him to get on to the floor earlier than Asuma who doesn't have that type of versatility IMO. Pierce has a higher ceiling and thus the staff decided to go that direction.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I think it is more likely that Lipsey and Williams will be the primary PG for the next 3 years and the staff were comfortable with that plan to deprioritize Asuma.
I do think Pierce can play some back up PG and initiate the offense much like Holmes does for stretches now. Pierce size and ability to play 1-4 allows him to get on to the floor earlier than Asuma who doesn't have that type of versatility IMO. Pierce has a higher ceiling and thus the staff decided to go that direction.
How many years left does Williams have? Just two, right? But get what you're saying. So our 2024 class is Rock, Pierce, and Indrusaitus.....correct?

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Williams has a injury redshirt, a covid year, and one normal year so 3
How many years left does Williams have? Just two, right? But get what you're saying. So our 2024 class is Rock, Pierce, and Indrusaitus.....correct?
Right, Plus the staff can now focus on identifying and building a relationship with a top PG for 2025 to set up their seamless replacement. I liked Asuma game but like most 125ish prospects he likely would take a year or two to develop into a considerable role (which would likely be 2025 anyways)

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Right, Plus the staff can now focus on identifying and building a relationship with a top PG for 2025 to set up their seamless replacement. I liked Asuma game but like most 125ish prospects he likely would take a year or two to develop into a considerable role (which would likely be 2025 anyways)
Another knock on Asuma is that he plays at a really small school, against other small schools. I know he plays AAU in the summer which helps, but his level of competition in HS is really low. Eli King had the same problem. It probably takes those guys longer to adjust. Matt Thomas also played at a relatively low level in Wisconsin HS and took 2 years to really catch on.

Pierce is playing with and against other D1 players every day. Same with Jelani Hamilton. That's huge.

Think of Niang and Wigginton playing at big time prep schools prior to coming here. Both were ready to go from day 1.

Momcilovic plays against good competition and also has 1-2 other D1 prospects on his team.

• Agree
Reactions: Pizzapitter

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Another knock on Asuma is that he plays at a really small school, against other small schools. I know he plays AAU in the summer which helps, but his level of competition in HS is really low. Eli King had the same problem. It probably takes those guys longer to adjust. Matt Thomas also played at a relatively low level in Wisconsin HS and took 2 years to really catch on.

Pierce is playing with and against other D1 players every day. Same with Jelani Hamilton. That's huge.

Think of Niang and Wigginton playing at big time prep schools prior to coming here. Both were ready to go from day 1.

Momcilovic plays against good competition and also has 1-2 other D1 prospects on his team.
Agree. People have been taking shots at everyone who says this. They always fall back to their competition in summer AAU circuit.

While playing against top AAU talent certainly offsets the lack of competition some are facing daily/weekly at their local high schools, it’s different than playing with and against D1 talent every single day in practice and every single week on your HS calendar.

I think some get oversensitive because it comes off like people immediately equate small town kid with not being good. It’s obviously more nuanced.

To your point, I don’t think it has anything to do with talent, but it can certainly impact readiness.

The examples you use are really good ones, by the way.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Nice to have multiple guards with pg skills. In today's game I think your guards need to be big, good shooters, distributors, rebounders, and handles. Better bring it all to be competitive.
With the way we switch everything on defense, having enough size to hold your own inside is invaluable at that position

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

Well said. I can tell "Pierce is a PG" is going to become a weird CF thing.

People should view Pierce in a THT like role. Versatile player who can handle the ball and initiate offense.

Reactions: Acer88 and nrg4isu

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron