****Official Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread****

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I think Jackson and Grill both become solid to proficient 3 pt shooters. Young guys and Jackson has a great looking stroke. Once they get used to the speed of the game and the moved back 3 point line I expect a nice jump in their %. I think Jackson's conf % has actually been pretty good and Grill hit a couple last game.

The rest of this year is looking for improvement in those freshman as well as guys like Conditt, Griffin, Lewis, and Bolton

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
I wish Prohm put a premium on shooting like Hoiberg did. I can't take any more of these guys that can't put the ball in the hoop. Guys that he's recruited who were looked at as shooters:

Lewis
Wigginton
Griffin
Jackson
Anderson

And some of those are generous.What did we get/are we getting from that list?

None of our 2020 recruits is known for shooting.

Griffin wasn’t sold as a shooter. He played C for his HS team.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think Jackson and Grill both become solid to proficient 3 pt shooters. Young guys and Jackson has a great looking stroke. Once they get used to the speed of the game and the moved back 3 point line I expect a nice jump in their %. I think Jackson's conf % has actually been pretty good and Grill hit a couple last game.

The rest of this year is looking for improvement in those freshman as well as guys like Conditt, Griffin, Lewis, and Bolton
Get out of here with your optimism. There's no place for that. All everyone wants to hear is us having a 9 win season next year and Prohm getting fired.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Griffin wasn’t sold as a shooter. He played C for his HS team.

He blew up after proving himself as a shooter, he hit like 9 in a summer tourney and thats when the offer from KU, Illinois and Pitt came. He was 100% sold on filling the Burton role by Prohm when he was recruited. I'd consider that a shooter. He played post for his HS team bc he was the tallest player they had, it was common knowledge he'd be a wing in college. That's the position he played with his club ball team.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I am surprised you guys are still barking at each other over shooting.

It is not great -- but it doesn't have to be. The offense was fine.

Our defense is ******* trash, though. We should worry about fixing that.

It is just harder to isolate the particular skills you need to improve on team defense.

It is easy to look at individual guys and see if they are making shots or not.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Get out of here with your optimism. There's no place for that. All everyone wants to hear is us having a 9 win season next year and Prohm getting fired.
I am disappointed with the state of the program and with Prohm right now but I still am rooting like hell for the guys on the team. Since Prohm is going to be here next year anyways I hope he figures it out

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

It is just harder to isolate the particular skills you need to improve on team defense.

I am hoping all the length and athleticism Prohm is recruiting can help us on the defensive end. I do think Prohm is not the most adept at coaching defense so I wouldn't mind if he shook up the coaching staff a bit and got a "defensive coordinator".

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I am hoping all the length and athleticism Prohm is recruiting can help us on the defensive end. I do think Prohm is not the most adept at coaching defense so I wouldn't mind if he shook up the coaching staff a bit and got a "defensive coordinator".

This year has sucked, and I hope it prompts some soul-searching by Prohm and the program as a whole, but I am not quite giving up on things yet. That might only be because Prohm is not going anywhere, so we might as well hope for the best.

Despite those struggles, it is hard to ignore the good things he accomplished in 2016 (not really his team), 2017 (somewhat/increasingly his team), and 2019 (entirely his team) and in bringing talent to Ames, included highly-regarded high school recruits, some high-level transfers, and some diamonds in the rough that worked out nicely.

One of the most obvious things to change would be, like you said, finding a new assistant and defensive-minded coach to complement Prohm's relative adeptness with offense to drill better team defense into the squad. They are really bad at it now.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
He blew up after proving himself as a shooter, he hit like 9 in a summer tourney and thats when the offer from KU, Illinois and Pitt came. He was 100% sold on filling the Burton role by Prohm when he was recruited. I'd consider that a shooter. He played post for his HS team bc he was the tallest player they had, it was common knowledge he'd be a wing in college. That's the position he played with his club ball team.

Yeah, he was recruited to fill the Burton role. I wouldn’t call that a shooter. He is a small ball 4 that they just wanted to get 33% from 3 out of. So far he has been disappointing.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If you take out Nixon and Jacobson 3 pt, we would be 34.5% from 3, good for 3rd in the conference behind TTU (35.6%) and Baylor (35.2%).

Of course I left Haliburton in to support my argument.

We do not have bad shooters -- we more have the wrong man taking the shots.

Nixon and Jacobson should have had their roles backed down a long time ago.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

Nixon's role was starting to decrease right before Halliburton got injured. Now he pretty has to play PG because he seems like the best option there. Ideally Jackson, Bolton or Lewis are shooting all the 3's, but Nixon will inevitably still take some. He was forced into several jump shots the last 2 games at the end of the shot clock because him or Bolton are the only ones really capable of creating a shot for themselves or someone off the dribble.

Reactions: heitclone

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006

This is an example of my biggest concern with Prohm - and, I've been a supporter of his - he's made no adjustments in style of play to adapt to the actual talent on the team:
- Jacobson has no business being out on the wing, should not be shooting 3s nor dribble-driving (t/o's!!!), but he hustles his butt off so find some time in the lane for him
- Nixon has not worked well for many reasons but took so long to take him out of line-up; understandably, he's needed now w/ TH out, so I get that
- TL - either lower the hammer on whatever negative habits there may be(?), or play the guy
- Put PT behind the voiced emphasis re: D; no one seems to suffer when they don't play D
- I really like our recruiting class, but my biggest concern for next year is that we won't have a talented creator on offense (a la Georges, Monte, THT on a good day) again, which will sink the team; Prohm's offense only works when he has that, and he won't change it - this year's team would be much better if we ran some motion and screens than the ball-dominant high-pick-and-roll Prohm loves... I'm a fan of TH, but that's not his game, and it's not anyone else's on this team, either

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: Cytown12 and Snydes

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I think the idea for the defense is to get more athletic and longer and create more turnovers.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think the idea for the defense is to get more athletic and longer and create more turnovers.

The biggest flaw on defense might honestly be just how many offensive boards we give up to "the second man" in a great position for an easy put-back.

Cleaning those up would help so much.

Good defense do not give up oodles of second and third chances like that. They can't.