****Official Class of 2020 Recruiting Thread****

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I like Jackson, I just his minutes are due to no other options. He's got a nice shot but he's very limited offensively. I think his lack of strength has a lot to do with that. On the offensive end, he's almost playing hot potato, whether passing or shooting, he can't get rid of the ball quick enough. To teams concerned about his shooting, he's really easy to run of the 3 pt line because he has almost no ability to create, hell he barely dribbles the ball at all, he finds a spot and plants himself there, I can only think of few times he even attempted to create inside the 3pt line, let alone had success doing it. That's why you see him hit most of his shots in transition or when a play breaks down, he's really only effective when no one is guarding him. He's got things to be positive about and like i said, I'm optimistic about him. The guy is just really limited right now offensively and we've seen virtually nothing that would make us think he's got more in his arsenal. I think plenty of people felt the way about Terrence Lewis that you do Jackson going in to his soph year but it's becoming obvious that he only played as much as he did as a frosh bc Prohm had no other choice.

The point of my post was more about the idea that Prohm isn't playing him by choice, it's just about a lack of options. That's why it make no sense to compare the development anyone on this team to either Matt or Naz. Naz sat behind guys like Lucious, Tyrus, Babb and Clyburn and never really got a shot to play, Grill has had tons of opportunities and hasn't taken advantage. Matt played 20 minutes a night on a sweet 16 team. Jackson wouldn't have sniffed time on that team. So to me, he's more TL than Matt.

Wonder what Tyrus McGee was like his Freshman and sophomore seasons. Lot's of guys play hot potato when they are young. Some have ultra confidence when they are young. Ill give him some time to develop.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I like Jackson, I just his minutes are due to no other options. He's got a nice shot but he's very limited offensively. I think his lack of strength has a lot to do with that. On the offensive end, he's almost playing hot potato, whether passing or shooting, he can't get rid of the ball quick enough. To teams concerned about his shooting, he's really easy to run of the 3 pt line because he has almost no ability to create, hell he barely dribbles the ball at all, he finds a spot and plants himself there, I can only think of few times he even attempted to create inside the 3pt line, let alone had success doing it. That's why you see him hit most of his shots in transition or when a play breaks down, he's really only effective when no one is guarding him. He's got things to be positive about and like i said, I'm optimistic about him. The guy is just really limited right now offensively and we've seen virtually nothing that would make us think he's got more in his arsenal. I think plenty of people felt the way about Terrence Lewis that you do Jackson going in to his soph year but it's becoming obvious that he only played as much as he did as a frosh bc Prohm had no other choice.

The point of my post was more about the idea that Prohm isn't playing him by choice, it's just about a lack of options. That's why it make no sense to compare the development anyone on this team to either Matt or Naz. Naz sat behind guys like Lucious, Tyrus, Babb and Clyburn and never really got a shot to play, Grill has had tons of opportunities and hasn't taken advantage. Matt played 20 minutes a night on a sweet 16 team. Jackson wouldn't have sniffed time on that team. So to me, he's more TL than Matt.

I don't disagree with your assessment but there needs to be a little context added that both Tre and Grill came in as developmental 3 stars who weren't suppose to play major minutes as a freshman. Both Lewis and Thomas were top 100 4 stars when they arrived on campus, thus by definition closer to finished products and expected to be ready to play minutes right away.

It is better to compare Tre and Caleb with the developmental type players like Naz (high end) for their path. Even if Naz was blocked behind established players he wouldn't have been ready to play major minutes as a freshman either. I think the added minutes Tre has been getting, due to Hali's injury, has slowed the game down a bit and accelerated his development. He's getting better every game and gaining confidence. Grill to a lesser degree to. The silver lining on Tyrese being out is they should be further along next year to help the team then if the rotation stayed the same.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I don't disagree with your assessment but there needs to be a little context added that both Tre and Grill came in as developmental 3 stars who weren't suppose to play major minutes as a freshman. Both Lewis and Thomas were top 100 4 stars when they arrived on campus, thus by definition closer to finished products and expected to be ready to play minutes right away.

It is better to compare Tre and Caleb with the developmental type players like Naz (high end) for their path. Even if Naz was blocked behind established players he wouldn't have been ready to play major minutes as a freshman either. I think the added minutes Tre has been getting, due to Hali's injury, has slowed the game down a bit and accelerated his development. He's getting better every game and gaining confidence. Grill to a lesser degree to. The silver lining on Tyrese being out is they should be further along next year to help the team then if the rotation stayed the same.

I agree with this but on this team, I think he'd play regardless of if he were ready or not. I just think it's impossible to tell much from this year. To be fair to Jackson and Grill, they also don't get the benefit of playing with nearly as much talent around them as either Matt or Naz did.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

On a stacked team, no. But I think he would have still gotten 10 minutes +/- if Wigginton or THT had come back. His defense is very good for a freshman. Still deferring to other options and rushing on the other end, but it's easier IMO to sub in a good defender that struggles on offense than the reverse.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
No one forgets that because for the last 5 years someone has brought it up every time someone brings up a player struggling early in his career (It might have already been mentioned in this very thread). Naz is the go to for freshman, Matt is brought up when discussing upperclassmen who haven't put it together. It's like clockwork. Those people ignore Percy Gibson, Tavon Sledge, Sharon Dorsey-Walker, Kerwin Okoro, Clayton Custer, Brady Ernst, Simeon Carter and Jakolby Long.

Doesn't really matter, but Custer doesn't deserve to be on that list. Custer was behind Monte, who couldn't come off the court. CC was a top 100 guy that would've been a good PG for Iowa State. He obviously made the right choice in Loyola.

• Creative
  • Agree
Reactions: SEIACyclone and jsb

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Agreed. Especially with Prohm needing to win now. If Prohm wants to be here for longer than 1 more year, he needs to add some grad transfers instead of another 3 star HS recruit.

there has to be some reason for optimism next year.

I still think he will be asked to leave after next season, but if you see a reason to be optimistic, then he could hang on.

I just don’t see it, unless javon is kantrail Horton, and a jamaal tinsley clone looks at prohm and says you don’t have any guards, I’m coming here.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
there has to be some reason for optimism next year.

I still think he will be asked to leave after next season, but if you see a reason to be optimistic, then he could hang on.

I just don’t see it, unless javon is kantrail Horton, and a jamaal tinsley clone looks at prohm and says you don’t have any guards, I’m coming here.
I think it’s too early to know if there’s any optimism surrounding next year yet or not. There’s some pieces that I like but there’s still some flaws with the roster and those will need to be fixed in the offseason if ISU wants to have a good year. I like Javan + the recruiting class and returning Bolton, Solo, Conditt and hopefully an improved Tre/Lewis/Grill but we need a PG and a shooter IMO.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
It is but adding a 5th HS kid wasn’t the best strategy for immediate success in 20-21

Depends on if the immediately-eligible guys in the spring would be better.

Smart would have been a nice late pickup but he like most freshmen would take a couple of years to develp and adding them to Blackwell and Dubar seemed a bid redundant on skills.

Kerwin Walton would be the only HS player ISU is currently linked to that could come in an start day 1 and can shoot from deep.

Even then I think most here would like them to prioritize a PG to immediately replace Hali and allow Jackson/Walker to be eased in when ready rather than forced to play next year.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Smart would have been a nice late pickup but he like most freshmen would take a couple of years to develp and adding them to Blackwell and Dubar seemed a bid redundant on skills.

Kerwin Walton would be the only HS player ISU is currently linked to that could come in an start day 1 and can shoot from deep.

Even then I think most here would like them to prioritize a PG to immediately replace Hali and allow Jackson/Walker to be eased in when ready rather than forced to play next year.

A good transfer PG -- JUCO or from another school, I do not care -- certainly changes the outlook for the team next season. That will be hard to find, though.

I would hope that is maybe the one position where we can "make do," though, given coaching up PGs is the one thing Prohm is really proven to do.

TRANSFER
Bolton
(some two of Jackson, Dubar, Blackwell, Foster, or Conditt)
Young

= might be somewhat competitive.

You know, might.

Reactions: heitclone

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I hope the Freshman come in with a lot more fire and competitive spirit than most of the current team. Most of the team is marshmallow soft which is not good when they also aren't very talented.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
A good transfer PG -- JUCO or from another school, I do not care -- certainly changes the outlook for the team next season. That will be hard to find, though.

I would hope that is maybe the one position where we can "make do," though, given coaching up PGs is the one thing Prohm is really proven to do.

TRANSFER
Bolton
(some two of Jackson, Dubar, Blackwell, Foster, or Conditt)
Young

= might be somewhat competitive.

You know, might.

It is very difficult to count on any of the freshmen to come in day on an start. It is possible and we've seen it with THT, Hali and Wigginton, two of those were top 60 recruits. I do think XF is in that range will be starting a PF with SY/Conditt at C. Ideally Prohm gets a floor general
Bolton is a given starter at one guard and my hope is a full year under Prohm can improve his turnovers, he has the size, first step and finishing to be all conference at PG even if he's better as SG this year. Tre could be the other, the light is turning on for him and him getting the same instruction as a sophomore could make the jump to solid starter. I assume Johnson will be the starting SF and will need to top half starter.
Between Zion/Dubar/Blackwell/Grill/Lewis one needs to exceed present expectations to make ISU really good next ear. I feel 2 of the 4 will be there in two years but need to see it first to count on it in the fall.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I hope the Freshman come in with a lot more fire and competitive spirit than most of the current team. Most of the team is marshmallow soft which is not good when they also aren't very talented.

tenor.png

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron