****Official Class of 2019 Recruiting Thread****

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I hope I'm wrong, but it feels as if ISU is behind KSU and probably even UNLV for Grill. On the Wheeler front, Georgia has a ridiculous class coming in for 2019 (#9 overall so far). It would be a super easy sell for a young PG to come in and facilitate to those guys. Not to mention that he's a Texas kid that wouldn't have to leave the south. Wouldn't be shocked to see us miss out on all three and that's not a direct reflection on Prohm. Tough situation.

I don't think they are behind KSU.

Reactions: isutrevman

IndyClone15

Jan 28, 2019
Metropolis
I hope I'm wrong, but it feels as if ISU is behind KSU and probably even UNLV for Grill. On the Wheeler front, Georgia has a ridiculous class coming in for 2019 (#9 overall so far). It would be a super easy sell for a young PG to come in and facilitate to those guys. Not to mention that he's a Texas kid that wouldn't have to leave the south. Wouldn't be shocked to see us miss out on all three and that's not a direct reflection on Prohm. Tough situation.

I did not know Georgia's class was so good. If we miss on this guy, we're gonna need a home run pickup.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
While Prohm has shown he can recruit, he is much more successful in the long recruitment situations like Wigginton and THT. He hasn't done well (other than Shayok? Jury is still out on Nixon) with the short recruitment guys.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
While Prohm has shown he can recruit, he is much more successful in the long recruitment situations like Wigginton and THT. He hasn't done well (other than Shayok? Jury is still out on Nixon) with the short recruitment guys.

That's a great point! Prohm is more of a long-term family, deep connection, get to know you guy. Not a speed-dater, one night stand kinda guy.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Bowie was alright as a bench piece. Talley was pretty good. Jacobson was good. Shayok was a star and one of our best transfers of all-time. DJack was a good JUCO. Nixon might end up being a nice piece. Six guys in roughly four cycles is not a bad haul at all.

Holden and Beverly were busts, and Brase was never healthy but probably worth taking a shot on given the circumstances. He has had his hits and his misses.

I think Prohm's transfer recruiting has been pretty good, actually, within the context of the competition for transfers that we have in the modern game.

Nobody is ever going to clean up like Hoiberg did ever again.

He seems to find 1-2 serviceable guys a spring cycle. That is not half-bad. I would hold Shayok up, in particular, on the same tier as Kane and Royce White.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Bowie was alright as a bench piece. Talley was pretty good. Jacobson was good. Shayok was a star and one of our best transfers of all-time. DJack was a good JUCO. Nixon might end up being a nice piece. Six guys in roughly four cycles is not a bad haul at all.

Holden and Beverly were busts, and Brase was never healthy but probably worth taking a shot on given the circumstances. He has had his hits and his misses.

I think Prohm's transfer recruiting has been pretty good, actually, within the context of the competition for transfers that we have in the modern game.

Nobody is ever going to clean up like Hoiberg did ever again.

He seems to find 1-2 serviceable guys a spring cycle. That is not half-bad. I would hold Shayok up, in particular, on the same tier as Kane and Royce White.

I think his spring recruiting has been perfectly fine, but Dandy is right that Prohm is better in long-term recruitment. Prohm's specialty is building relationships with players and their families. It's a lot more difficult to do that over a few weeks than it is over a year or two. I'd also say that Prohm and the staff excel at identifying under-the-radar talent (Conditt, Haliburton). It's a lot harder to do that when every single team is rushing to fill 2 or 3 open scholarship spots in the same, short time period.

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007
That's a great point! Prohm is more of a long-term family, deep connection, get to know you guy. Not a speed-dater, one night stand kinda guy.

To put this into business terms, Prohm is a business development / relationship manager guru, not a salesperson. He's too honest to say all those things that salespeople are willing to say to get short term results, and it's tough in a very short period of time to make the long term impact on folks where that honesty becomes an asset rather than a detriment.

Over time, BD / RM's develop a reputation across the industry that allows them to make deep impacts (trusted advisors telling them to trust him) in the shorter timelines, but it'll take some time.

I'm personally OK with that, but then again, I'm a BD/RM type and would suck at hard sales for the same reasons.

• Agree
Reactions: JCloned and Kurttr

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Not too upset about missing on Nadolny but I’m not going to lie, as it stands right now, anything less than Wheeler and Gilder will leave me pretty disappointed and concerned for next year.

We would need some guys who haven’t proven anything yet to make huge impacts if we want to make the tournament. (Lewis, Zion, Leech, Anderson, Jackson)

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Not too upset about missing on Nadolny but I’m not going to lie, as it stands right now, anything less than Wheeler and Gilder will leave me pretty disappointed and concerned for next year.

We would need some guys who haven’t proven anything yet to make huge impacts if we want to make the tournament. (Lewis, Zion, Leech, Anderson, Jackson)

I don't think either Wheeler or Grill will make an impact next year. Getting Gilder is way more important for next year.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

Getting just Gilder would still be big and keep us in the tourney IMO but any combo of the guys we have be mentioned with that doesn't include Gilder or Tucker would change my mind. If we miss on Gilder, I think getting LW back would be the only way we make the tourney, unless an unknown transfer surfaces or 2/3 of the guys you listed have breakout years.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
I don't think either Wheeler or Grill will make an impact next year. Getting Gilder is way more important for next year.
Not a big enough one to make us a tournament team. Getting Gilder is most definitely more important for next year. I just included Wheeler because it’s nice to add 4-year guys and he’d be a good addition. As I see it right now, there’s only 3 guys who are the difference between making the tournament and not making the tournament. (That we’ve been linked to)

Those 3 guys are:
Admon Gilder
Rayjon Tucker
Lindell Wigginton

If next years roster doesn’t include any of those guys, I don’t think Iowa State makes it. We’d be really young, would have so many new faces and we have a tough non conference schedule. I don’t want to count them out yet though because you never how Nixon, Haliburton, the incoming freshman and other guys returning improved.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Not a big enough one to make us a tournament team. Getting Gilder is most definitely more important for next year. I just included Wheeler because it’s nice to add 4-year guys and he’d be a good addition. As I see it right now, there’s only 3 guys who are the difference between making the tournament and not making the tournament. (That we’ve been linked to)

Those 3 guys are:
Admon Gilder
Rayjon Tucker
Lindell Wigginton

If next years roster doesn’t include any of those guys, I don’t think Iowa State makes it. We’d be really young, would have so many new faces and we have a tough non conference schedule. I don’t want to count them out yet though because you never how Nixon, Haliburton, the incoming freshman and other guys returning improved.

Yeah, probably odds are they don't make it, but you never know what kind of development could take place. They might be able to do well enough to sneak in.

Reactions: Thompsonclone

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

serious question, what will the mindset of fans be if ISU goes 0-3 on HS kids and does not add a grad transfer?

Also got me thinking, next year might kinda be a weird roster with some players with a good amount of experience but then a big drop off

total D1 minutes played
2508 - Nixon
2243 - Jacobson
1259 - Young
1163 - Haliburton
499 - Lewis
209 Conditt
112 - Griffin
0 - Leech
0 - Anderson
0 - Jackson

• Creative