****Official Class of 2019 Recruiting Thread****

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
we are definitely all in on getting another pg thats for sure. should have one locked up in the next two weeks would be my guess.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Since when are we turning down top 100 ranked recruits?

Did someone say we should turn him down? I think you accidentally replied to my comment instead of someone else that said we should turn him down. However, I still have not found that guys post that said that.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
He doesn’t necessarily take a non tourney team to the tourney but we have 2 more scholarships left which moves my attitude for next year from pessimistic to optimistic. No name that I’ve heard close ties to has changed my mind until this kid.

• Optimistic
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Of all the HS guards, Grill seems to be our biggest current need. He's perfect for the wing (defending the 3) where we have Leech but may not be full strength and Lewis who has to make a jump if he expects to play at this level .

As for the 1 and 2 we have TH who will play 35 minutes per plus Nixon and Jackson which is more than enough provided we avoid injury so another body would help.

As far as THT's spot 4 guards are few and far between. Someone like Lewis would have fits matching up to stronger 4s. Griffin is as close as we have and he is more of a small ball 4 than a true wing. I think the G-transfers we've been hearing about are...provided THT officially leaves.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I would take 2 or the guards. I honestly want Nadolny for some reason. I also like Grill and the other kid. I want two out of those three and a sit out transfer. I have decided in my head that next season is a growth season. I don't think adding a bunch of grad transfers at this point change our outcome next season. I just want to see us improve from the start of the season to the end. Unlike this year.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I would take 2 or the guards. I honestly want Nadolny for some reason. I also like Grill and the other kid. I want two out of those three and a sit out transfer. I have decided in my head that next season is a growth season. I don't think adding a bunch of grad transfers at this point change our outcome next season. I just want to see us improve from the start of the season to the end. Unlike this year.
My best case scenario would be: whichever 2019 kid the staff likes the best + a very solid sit out transfer + a go to scorer grad transfer.
Next best is 2 of the 2019s + a go to scorer grad transfer.
Way down the list is 2-3 grad transfers, and no future potential.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Of all the HS guards, Grill seems to be our biggest current need. He's perfect for the wing (defending the 3) where we have Leech but may not be full strength and Lewis who has to make a jump if he expects to play at this level .

As for the 1 and 2 we have TH who will play 35 minutes per plus Nixon and Jackson which is more than enough provided we avoid injury so another body would help.

As far as THT's spot 4 guards are few and far between. Someone like Lewis would have fits matching up to stronger 4s. Griffin is as close as we have and he is more of a small ball 4 than a true wing. I think the G-transfers we've been hearing about are...provided THT officially leaves.

From the small amount of highlight tape I have seen on the prep prospects I would say:
Wheeler is a true PG, good handle and passer. Ability to shoot the 3 and finish at the basket. He is undersized which could take a bit of adjustment. Monte Morris type.
Nadolny is a combo guard who can score in waves. Tough defender with solid size for his age who compete 40 minutes. Naz or NWB type player.
Grill is a SG, who has a quick release and good athleticism and height to play some SF. Matt Thomas comp (with better hops).

While I believe Tyrese will enter the season at the PG role and will be good there, Prohm has always had a score first combo PG to run his system (Caanan, Payne, Monte, and Lindell/NWB). TH hasn't shown the scoring mentality yet (it's early) and he'll will want another option with Tre. The one thing this team could use is a true 3 pt threat, Nixon will do that but it is his last year, the hope is Lewis steps up but if not Grill would fit that role nicely.

In theory ISU could use all 3 of the prospects, but having Leech (SG/SF), Jackson (CG) lessen the need for a true guard. While I am sure Prohm would take all 3, I would guess he is prioritizing a score first PG (one of Nadolny/Wheeler) and Grill for a shooting threat.

All that said, we shouldn't get to excited and rank priorities yet, nor should we panic if ISU fails to get commitments. I'll guess we'll hear about more visits being set from transfers and even preps into May, this staff does a good job keeping their who they are in contact with under wraps from the media.

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007
I'd like to see:

(1) Future PG (e.g., either Nadolny or Wheeler);
(2) Shooter with Handles (i.e., Grill); and
(3) Biggest Potential Impact Transfer (preferably grad, but sit out is OK if they'd make a bigger impact).

Raywswartz

KC Chief
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 17, 2006

If we want to be good next year we need at least one immediate eligible wing with experience. Last year should have taught us lesson about experience. Have to have experienced guys to win big.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I still think the ideal plan would be...

(1.) One of the freshmen guards
(2.) An "Uncle Jake" type graduate transfer wing -- not flashy but solid
(3.) The best sit-out guy available, particularly a wing scorer

Some of these freshmen look much better than the likely graduate transfers we might get, however, so I am willing to rewrite #2 as another #1 right now.

If we want to be good next year we need at least one immediate eligible wing with experience. Last year should have taught us lesson about experience. Have to have experienced guys to win big.

This is true. We are still not a program that is "staying old," though. The unbalanced scholarship chart when Prohm came here, trying to rebuild on the fly (which he has done pretty well, though not perfectly), and the early departures are screwing that up.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Take a high school guy and then get what we need to guarantee a bid. Making the tourney next year will help a lot in future recruiting, just have to get there this year.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins

I think the benefits of having experience are largely taken away when it is a grad transfer who is only on campus for one year. I think experience inside a program is really important, especially for being on the same page as coaches, establishing culture, etc. But I don't think a grad transfer brings enough of those qualities to really be helpful. When you see grad transfers being successful, it is generally clear that they aren't the clear leaders on the team. The only one we've had who maybe bucks that trend is Kane, but even he had Ejim, as well.

I kind of tend towards the opinion that grad transfers never end up being as helpful as people think they will be. I think it's much more important to have guys who stay inside the program for a while to establish culture and leadership in that way. Grad transfers can fit really well as role players, but that's not what a lot of people are looking for this year. Fans are wanting someone to replace THT/Shayok, which just isn't realistic.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think the benefits of having experience are largely taken away when it is a grad transfer who is only on campus for one year. I think experience inside a program is really important, especially for being on the same page as coaches, establishing culture, etc. But I don't think a grad transfer brings enough of those qualities to really be helpful. When you see grad transfers being successful, it is generally clear that they aren't the clear leaders on the team. The only one we've had who maybe bucks that trend is Kane, but even he had Ejim, as well.

I kind of tend towards the opinion that grad transfers never end up being as helpful as people think they will be. I think it's much more important to have guys who stay inside the program for a while to establish culture and leadership in that way. Grad transfers can fit really well as role players, but that's not what a lot of people are looking for this year. Fans are wanting someone to replace THT/Shayok, which just isn't realistic.

That team had Ejim, Niang, and Naz.

It did not need somebody else to come in and lead it.

Kane was coming in to ride with them, not to give orders and lead the charge.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
This is true. We are still not a program that is "staying old," though. The unbalanced scholarship chart when Prohm came here, trying to rebuild on the fly (which he has done pretty well, though not perfectly), and the early departures are screwing that up.

Agree. I think in the current college basketball landscape, any coach that is strictly adhering to a balanced roster, is going to struggle. Between transfers and players leaving early, you can't count on much more than 50% of your recruits staying for 4 years.

Balancing the roster has now taken on a new meaning. It's more about how many, and what type of, transfers can I bring in to supplement my projected roster for next season.

ChE2010

Mar 3, 2013
Are there any Canadians that we are looking at since there has been a Canadian on the team since 2008? Or Nadolny would keep the 16 year streak of having someone from outside of the US on the team.