****Official Class of 2018 Recruiting Thread****

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
Monte isn't nearly that quick..just sayin..
I'm not saying that Monte is touted for superior quickness, but I watched the clip EYEoftheSTORM quoted and watched Monte cross over two guys in his draft clips https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ggeMAE&usg=AFQjCNEV5Nhz4vt79peWyiie_Ybd41avvA and i am not sure where that clip indicates he is quicker than out most recent NBA drafted point guard. Maybe the loading speeds of your device caused the playback to go fast but his drive to the hoop looked about the same speed as typical Morris to me.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ajg515

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I'm not saying that Monte is touted for superior quickness, but I watched the clip EYEoftheSTORM quoted and watched Monte cross over two guys in his draft clips https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=19664974&ved=0ahUKEwjvhp6-29bUAhUJ74MKHXxFCwYQFggeMAE&usg=AFQjCNEV5Nhz4vt79peWyiie_Ybd41avvA and i am not sure where that clip indicates he is quicker than out most recent NBA drafted point guard. Maybe the loading speeds of your device caused the playback to go fast but his drive to the hoop looked about the same speed as typical Morris to me.

Monte choose not to play super fast all the time, he played with pace. It's similar to a pitcher (I'm dating myself here) like Greg Maddux. The guy was arguably the best pitcher of his generation, not because he threw amazing junk or threw super fast. He was great because he varied his speeds and locations to keep batters on their toes. Monte was the same way, you don't have to always be the fastest, you just have to keep your defender off balance. Monte is a master of that, its almost like he has the guy guarding him on a string.

Ajg515

Nov 17, 2016
Des Moines
Monte didn't seem to have (either) the leg strength or footwork to play O or D at his max potential. Always looked like he was sorta loose from his man on the defensive end, but I feel like he was def quick enough on offense. Did not have an *elite* crossover, but at least 'very good' imo.

Love Monte, he's def in my top 5 Clones of all time (bball, and I'm only 29) but I feel like we all romanticize him a lil.. his strength was leadership and taking care of that effin ball. Which won ISU a LOT of games, make no mistake.

Would we take all 3, 2018 guards? I don't think it's realistic, but we'd take the first two to commit. I don't think they'd be against taking 3 guards but I feel like the 3rd would be a redshirt flyer or a juco. The 3rd of that group (whoever that may be) would want a better look at playing time and find another opportunity.

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
To be clear... I wasn't romanticizing anything with my comment. One poster said a clip of a single drive from a recruit reminded him of Monte... and a second poster said that Monte wasn't nearly as quick. I responded with a clip of two Monte drives that showed otherwise.

All that said I agree with most everything else said about Monte... though I will maybe argue a little that Monte' s ability to protect the ball was a result of him wisely chosing when to play fast and more often so when to keep more control.

As someone who watches every ISU men's basketball game... when he did drive and finish in traffic... Monte had many of those English off the backboard shots like the clip posted. Especially before his senior year. Defensively he also recorded many steals.

No Monte is not the best player to ever play basketball but I would be very hesitant before I dispute a comparison of a recruit to an NBA draftee by pointing out a single difference where the recruit is supposesly better. (Yeah... I struggle getting to my point in a concise manner)

isu83

May 5, 2010
After this spring I think they'll take whoever they can get. I Love this staff but these guys are good and if they all want to come here i'd bet they will. But what do i know! Lol.