****Official Class of 2018 Recruiting Thread****

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012

Just curious, since he's a 2018, why an 'unofficial'? Because recruits haven't narrowed down a list so they don't want to use them up? Do recruits only get 5 officials? Or did I dream that? What limitation is put on the college as to how many they can give? TIA

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
At this point, I'd settle for a Woodbury clone just to get recruiting going...
okay.gif

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Just curious, since he's a 2018, why an 'unofficial'? Because recruits haven't narrowed down a list so they don't want to use them up? Do recruits only get 5 officials? Or did I dream that? What limitation is put on the college as to how many they can give? TIA
Unofficial essentially means they are paying their own way to come. They are getting the treatment, but there isn't the defined schedule and the "glits and glam" of an official. unofficials are helpful, in basketball, with kids so they can get to campus for a game in the winter or during down times in their hectic AAU and HS schedules. I think any time a player takes an unofficial it is a good sign, because it shows that they want to come and see it on their own time, and especially if they have their officials left. Because, that means more likely than not we are getting at least one more visit from the young man.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Yes a recruit only gets 5 officials. Also, schools are limited on the number of official visits they can host.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
At this point, I'd settle for a Woodbury clone just to get recruiting going...

C'mon guys. It was just a little sarcasm and I got as many dislikes as I figured, but Woodbury wasn't as bad as many of you made him out to be (nor as good as Fran made him out to be ;) )

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Yes a recruit only gets 5 officials. Also, schools are limited on the number of official visits they can host.

How many can schools host? That seems very restricting for the non blue bloods especially. Hard to know who to risk going all out for and/or a highly ranked guy that you may come in fourth or fifth on. I assume there is no restrictions on a school's limit for transfer visits?

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
24 every 2 years.

That doesn't seem like very many to me. Is that the NCAA's attempt to keep costs down for the universities? Or to keep rich donors/budget programs from getting to host every elite player out there? Guess ISU has to hope several recruits will agree to some unofficials first. Which might be another strong reason to concentrate more on the midwest than the south. What Mississippi guy will pay his own way for an unofficial? And there should be a rule, that when you release a player thats backed out of his LOI, that you get his official visit number back.

Reactions: isutrevman

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Does anyone pay much attention to ESPNs recruiting. I'm not an insider, so I don't get much content but from what I can see it just doesn't seem like its updated much and no one seems to pay attention to it.

Take for instance what it has for Iowa State...

Capture.PNG

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Does anyone pay much attention to ESPNs recruiting. I'm not an insider, so I don't get much content but from what I can see it just doesn't seem like its updated much and no one seems to pay attention to it.

View attachment 48636

ESPN recruiting is a joke. I wish 247 didn't even include it in their composite

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

View attachment 48636
Zion Williamson would look pretty sharp in Cardinal and Gold.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
They update their rankings a little bit (but I wouldn't put much stock in them). But the offers are like 3 years behind.