****Official Class of 2017 Recruiting Thread****

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The little we saw Jakolby, he showed good ball handling skills and played the point when the end of the bench was on the floor late in games, I believe he played PG in high school as well. That and his defense will give him a shot to get on the floor. Crazy how fast people move on to the incoming guys and forget about guys like this, he has a big upside. Only a handful of freshman guards in the country would have gotten PT on our team this year.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
The little we saw Jakolby, he showed good ball handling skills and played the point when the end of the bench was on the floor late in games, I believe he played PG in high school as well. That and his defense will give him a shot to get on the floor. Crazy how fast people move on to the incoming guys and forget about guys like this, he has a big upside. Only a handful of freshman guards in the country would have gotten PT on our team this year.

I agree. There simply hasn't been enough of Jakolby on the floor to tell if he's not able to contribute at this level.

To me he could become a solid wing because he can handle the ball and shoot, to go along with good physical stature.

Reactions: heitclone

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Can Jakolby change his game like Naz did? If he improves his shot, he could be a real asset on offense. A guy his size with the handle and natural scoring ability he is thought to have is a Big 12 player. He's also competing against only two guys that have been in the program, although that fact we're looking for another guard may be cause for tempering optimism.

Last edited:

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
It seems Prohm thinks they have a need for a wing player that can play next year, so I don't think he's ready to pencil in Jakolby for significant minutes at the moment.

That's a fair point. We need so much scoring, and the wing spot is so crucial to scoring. Babb and Long are really unproven as to their capability to score.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic and Doc

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
That's a fair point. We need so much scoring, and the wing spot is so crucial to scoring. Babb and Long are really unproven as to their capability to score.
Hopefully Lewis is able to step into a role there, whether it be 10-15 minutes or whatever. I think getting him on the floor this year and getting him confidence is huge for our team next year and going forward.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
It seems Prohm thinks they have a need for a wing player that can play next year, so I don't think he's ready to pencil in Jakolby for significant minutes at the moment.
Agree, not only from a what Prohm thinks perspective, but also numbers. If we get a guy that can really shoot, it starts to get crowded at the non-pg guard spot. Assuming one of Wigginton and Jackson will see a lot of minutes together and also be each other's backup, Babb and the guard Prohm is hoping to sign will be front runners for the third spot. Then you add Lewis and McNeil for that 2nd guard off the bench with both have skills that are seemingly ahead of Long's.

Still if you're Long right now, you see only two guys that have been in the program and three freshmen to compete against for 5 rotation spots. Needless to say it's a big year for him.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames

I agree with him. I'd prefer to get a known scoring threat on the wing. We don't have that as of right now.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I agree with him. I'd prefer to get a known scoring threat on the wing. We don't have that as of right now.
And who would that be in your eyes on the Transfer/Grad Transfer/JuCo market? Jakolby can score, no doubt about that, we just haven't seen him running at this level yet, not fair to say he can't. Will he be a 12 ppg guy next year? No. But who would be, that is out there right now, other than Juiston who is a front-court guy?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I agree as well, but what do we have as knowns right now? That Jackson can shoot and Young is a sufficient role player in the post? Don't get me wrong, I'm optimistic we have a lot of upside on next year.

Last edited:

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
And who would that be in your eyes on the Transfer/Grad Transfer/JuCo market? Jakolby can score, no doubt about that, we just haven't seen him running at this level yet, not fair to say he can't. Will he be a 12 ppg guy next year? No. But who would be, that is out there right now, other than Juiston who is a front-court guy?

I don't know the answer to that at the moment. It's hard to say who are even going after besides Juiston right now. There have been a couple grad transfers that have put up some numbers but who knows if they are even interested.

The point is, we need a guy on the wing who can go get us 12-15 points every night and we don't have that right now. Babb could be that guy but we will still need a scorer opposite him. Otherwise we are putting a lot of pressure on Jackson and a freshman to put up big scoring numbers every night. As of right now, we don't have a lot of offensive firepower unless we get some big improvements from returning guys or some new blood.

I'm not panicking because we still have 4 scholarships and at least 2 will be used for, hopefully, impact guys next year. But there is still work to be done.

Reactions: srjclone

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
I agree as well, but what do we have as knowns right now? That Jackson can shoot and Young is a sufficient role player in the post? Don't get me wrong, I'm optimistic we have a lot of upside on next year.

The pieces are there, just have to hope they come together. Definitely need a few more though.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Competition is ALWAYS good for a team. Even if he thought Jakolby had the ability to be something special, he wouldn't just stop recruiting that spot because the competition is likely to make both better.
Babb, Lewis, Jackson, Wigginton, and McNeil were not enough competition? Let's sign a pg for competition then, too.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Looked up Kasongo's HS highlights. Looks more athletic and maybe even bigger than Young. Remains to be seen if Prohm and staff can turn on the light to get him to play to his potential.