****Official Class of 2017 Recruiting Thread****

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Looked up Kasongo's HS highlights. Looks more athletic and maybe even bigger than Young. Remains to be seen if Prohm and staff can turn on the light to get him to play to his potential.

If he can be a presence around the rim like that in his first video, I've seen all that I need. :rolleyes:

Obviously, it isn't that easy, but is good to see that the "ability" is there.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Looked up Kasongo's HS highlights. Looks more athletic and maybe even bigger than Young. Remains to be seen if Prohm and staff can turn on the light to get him to play to his potential.

Saw him compete in the Hilton Madness slam dunk competition. I don't think there is any question about his athleticism. Like you said, the question is whether he can use his athleticism effectively on the basketball court.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

CW is trolling you. He doesn't think much of Kosango, but he thinks very highly of Kasongo. Also, I have it on good authority that he actually enjoys peeing in other peoples' Cheerios.

Kasongo looks like a guy that may kill someone going after a block or a rebound. At the very least, I'm hoping for Dustin-Hogue-flying-kick part two.

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee and Messi

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Prohm mentioned he liked a 7 man rotation with 8 and 9 as needed. I'd be surprised if he passes Young and hopefully we get Juiston. Prohm will have done well if he can get him to an effective Edozie role imo. Is that worth the 3 for 2?

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
True. An egregious editing job on my part.
636041884401816059-1993972944_QUhLm60.gif

Reactions: FinalFourCy

blutarsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2010
St. Paul, MN
Kasongo's reminds me of Anthony Booker. Not in size or ability, but in role. He needs a facilitator to make him better. Booker had Royce. Kasongo needs Lard, Young and others to set him up for offense. Lobs at the rim, exploiting double teams, etc. On defense he just needs to bring a high motor. Grab rebounds and protect the rim. If he can do that in spurts then he'll find minutes.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Kasongo's reminds me of Anthony Booker. Not in size or ability, but in role. He needs a facilitator to make him better. Booker had Royce. Kasongo needs Lard, Young and others to set him up for offense. Lobs at the rim, exploiting double teams, etc. On defense he just needs to bring a high motor. Grab rebounds and protect the rim. If he can do that in spurts then he'll find minutes.
He also needs/needed coaching. Imo you're right with that simple yet impactful role he could have, but it hadn't clicked for him in previous spots. At this point his game isn't fundamentally changing, but a redshirt year maybe will be enough to get him to be consistent in fundamentals. Prohm's accustomed to having to take guys with raw ability and developing value.

I'm optimistic that backing off Lake is a sign Kasongo has improved.

davehon

Apr 4, 2015
I thought for sure he'd transfer out. He must think he has a chance for playing time and that's all you can ask for. Hopefully Prohm sees something we dont.
considering we don't see practices we don't know much about Long. I am sure Prohm see a lot that we don't.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
considering we don't see practices we don't know much about Long. I am sure Prohm see a lot that we don't.
giphy.gif

just jokin, but in all seriousness, I think people need to stop jumping to conclusions about Jakolby. He is solid, but we won't know anything tangible until next year. Or potentially at Cap City this summer.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
just jokin, but in all seriousness, I think people need to stop jumping to conclusions about Jakolby. He is solid, but we won't know anything tangible until next year. Or potentially at Cap City this summer.
We need to stop speculating now, but may tangibly know something from the CCL?

The offseason is time for speculation.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Ah. Got it. I must be new to sports.

Just annoys me when people conclude a player is not good because he didn't play behind 5 very, very solid High Division 1 guards. But, hey, what do I know.
But we'll know after the CCL?

I get that some want only the most optimistic posts, but very few have said he isn't good because he didn't play when we had the other 5 guards. It's reasonable to doubt Long is a major contributor next year though.

• Informative
Reactions: CyberJJJ

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
But we'll know after the CCL?

I get that some want only the most optimistic posts, but very few have said he isn't good because he didn't play when we had the other 5 guards. It's reasonable to doubt Long is a major contributor next year though.
I said potentially at cap city. Potentially, because, well we will actually see him play. Albeit pick-up games. But we can at least see a shooting form, athleticism, etc. Other little things that we can make an assessment on. Not, "He didn't play so he can't be great".

Color me crazy, but I like having something to base my assumptions on. And due to his HS ability, I am not going to give up on this top125 player for not getting on the court much last year. That isn't necessarily an optimistic post, just a not-so-quick to jump to conclusion post.

• Agree
Reactions: Cynonymous