Official Announcement of TJ as the New Iowa State Mens BBall Coach

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I won't call out the person that posted this list suggesting TJ didn't belong with this group. Lots of people - including me - wondered if TJ could measure up. What I found curious is the status of all of these coaches. In reality only Self, Drew, and debatably Dixon have measured up to TJ. Smart has, too, but is no longer in the conference.

Mar 18, 2021

Self... still going strong
Huggins... fired
Kruger... retired
Beard... hired away by Texa$ then fired
Drew.... still going strong
Weber... resigned after 3 bad seasons
Shaka .... Left Texas under pressure. Has Marquette in the top ten.
Boynton... Still at OSU but struggling
Dixon.... Still going strong but TCU seems to have peaked. (?)

......Otzelberger..... from 2-22 to 22-6. Back to back sweet 16s.

One of these didn't happen.

Reactions: nrg4isu

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
When Fred was hired I was cautiously optimistic. It was either going to be great or a disaster. Turned out great.

I feel much the same now, but I do not think "disaster" is in the range of outcomes. Best case, TJ duplicates the type of success we had under CFH. Exciting ball, competing for championships, great players. Worst case, its good players but underwhelming success. I don't think there is any way it will be as bad as with CSP, who was clearly not ready for the job.

One thing that gives me some optimism: current organizational intelligence within the ISU AD.
1) TJ & JP saw CFH use smart assistants to make him better. Hopefully TJ will do same. Great coaches must have great assistants. Watch this space very closely.
2) The Process. CMC has shown that "want" and "love of the game" is really important, and a 3 or 4 star with "want" is going to be much better at ISU than a one-and-done guy. Niang, Naz, Monte, Matty Ice -- all "gym rats", and I think that qualifies. Hopefully that is recognized in TJ's recruiting.

Bottom line, no one ever knows how a new hire will work out. So with TJ let's hope it works out well. See you all in Sect 236 next year!
I don't feel bad about my thoughts back then at all. What's cool is that I think both 1 and 2 happened, and we are pretty close to that "best case".

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Sorry for having expectations. Sorry for using facts and data. Sorry for being offended by an absurdly lazy and nepotistic hiring process where we hired a guy that NOBODY ELSE is even after.

Sucks u hate this hire. Hopefully TJ can put a squad together to satisfy you and wins some game. My prediction is he will make at least one sweet 16 and be ranked in the top ten within three years of his hire. I could be wrong

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Are they saying TJ was 2-22 or just referring to ISU being 2-22 prior?

The back to back Sweet 16s sounds fun even if it's never happened in school history.
Bob Huggins fired is the other error, he resigned. And I believe with no payout negotiated when he did so

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Houston was preseason #7 in nation, big12 preseason #2 with two first place votes.
Iowa State was a preseason 9-seed with zero AP poll votes picked to finish 7th in big12. It should be TJ all the way
I agree. I just think the only person you might be able to give it to besides TJ is Sampson. TJ 100% deserves it the most.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Joefrog...may the bluebird of happiness poke 1000 holes in your waterbed.