Official Announcement of TJ as the New Iowa State Mens BBall Coach

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
He's our coach now and I will fully support him and hope he does succeed. Outside of ability, his biggest positive is attachment to ISU. If he really is "the guy", he'll get a statue because he'll have ISU as a perennial top 25 program that this fanbase and Hilton deserve, and will be paid well.

Am I still upset with JP? Absolutely. He should have just said we went after our guy, we got our guy, we're gonna win. Soon.

After hearing more about DeVries and his clear Hawkeye leanings, I am glad we dodged that one. We don't want McDermott 2.0 I would have preferred Craig Smith, but we have our coach now.

I was around for the BVDV years and when JP was hired. I was thrilled with the JP hire at the time.

I hope that Otz is smart enough to hire a very experienced former head coach that he trusts.

Let's get back to winning and making Hilton the nightmare it used to be for visiting teams.
Yeah, I liked Smith too, but we were not winning a bidding war with Minnesota and Utah...dude is going to get paid by one of them.

Reactions: baagoe

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
I totally disagree that this was a rush decision. TJ is not my first choice but to say this is a rush decision from JP is totally BS. CSP days were numbered for a long time, maybe even as far back as last season, as some have indicated. I do believe JP did his due diligence far longer and earlier than last week, even though he tried to make it seem he did a complete review of candidates recently, by his videos. He has been on this for weeks if not months. He can't come out and say CSP is doing a lousy job and I started looking for new coaches (Or fire CSP mid season) in December of 2020 can he, nor should he. Who would want to work for an AD that did something like that.

Why he picked TJ is not my call nor do I care. Even though I may not agree with JP every time, he does bleed cardinal and gold, and that goes a long ways with me...he wants what he believes is best for ISU. What more do you need?

I'll support TJ since he is our guy now and continue to support JP. Go State!

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I kind of attribute this to buying a house when you already have another house. A lot of people are looking at other houses well before they actually put their current house on the market, so when the house that you want shows up, you can sell your house and snap it up. It doesn't mean that you didn't do your research if you have been doing it all this time since you owned the current house.

Some of the people on these forums are probably are the kind of people that are too regimented and won't do anything "out of step" and god forbid you do ~ "you're just being impulsive."

JP brought in the coach of the best era of Iowa State basketball ever and brought in the best coach we have ever had in football. I dunno, but I think I have faith in him and he can make unilateral decisions.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Matthew Bain said in todays register that Omaha Bilieu's (5 star Waukee Sophomore) trainer hopes TJ wants to talk with them, think the trainer is with his AAU team.

Foster was the best in the state last year. You keep him and bring this player in...along with Hunter and Nunn...you will have the ponies.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I kind of attribute this to buying a house when you already have another house. A lot of people are looking at other houses well before they actually put their current house on the market, so when the house that you want shows up, you can sell your house and snap it up. It doesn't mean that you didn't do your research if you have been doing it all this time since you owned the current house.

Some of the people on these forums are probably are the kind of people that are too regimented and won't do anything "out of step" and god forbid you do ~ "you're just being impulsive."

JP brought in the coach of the best era of Iowa State basketball ever and brought in the best coach we have ever had in football. I dunno, but I think I have faith in him and he can make unilateral decisions.
No one is thinking JP is being impulsive here. He’s wanted TJ for over 6 years.

Fred brought himself in. JP delayed it if anything

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Way too much drama and innuendos in this thread debating the fate of a guy that hasn’t even coached his first game here. I can see that game threads are going to be even more toxic than ever. I’m big on being vocal when a coach has failed (see the origins of this very site), but all of this pre-**** is ridiculous. Y’all should be ashamed of having potential recruits read half this **** about a guy that hasn’t even been given a chance.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Way too much drama and innuendos in this thread debating the fate of a guy that hasn’t even coached his first game here. I can see that game threads are going to be even more toxic than ever. I’m big on being vocal when a coach has failed (see the origins of this very site), but all of this pre-**** is ridiculous. Y’all should be ashamed of having potential recruits read half this **** about a guy that hasn’t even been given a chance.

It's the Internet.

Some people aren't happy unless they're mad.

Said this before, but still rings true --

"In the 20th Century, Madison Avenue discovered that sex sells. In the 21st Century, Silicon Valley, Hollywood, and the New York and DC news media discovered that sex can't hold a candle to rage. Anger sells."

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
I've been searching out various reactions from college basketball people and I think it reflects CF - very "meh". No one is saying its a terrible hire. No one is saying its a great hire. In fact, most national people were like "ISU hired TJ Otzelberger as expected" and moved on. We are a bit more passionate here on CF but that's pretty close to the average reaction.

I don't know why the pro-TJ people are pissed at the anti-TJ people, and vice versa. It wasn't an exciting hire. It was rushed and seemed wired to TJ the entire time. It may work out, it may not. But I think most fans DO have a problem with how Pollard conducted the search. But he's the AD and we are fans, so he gets to do things his way.

But he's the coach now and we'll all support him and hope he succeeds. We won't know if its a great hire or an epic failure for a few years so let's enjoy the ride and cheer like hell for him.
Best post in the last several days...

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I am very interested in what are the the incentive are. It is possible TJ's early salary is low probably 10th in the Big 12. Still above UNLV's contract and he'll get the opportunity to get a raise in the future through the incentives for early success and contract two if that happens. A low base this year should allow him to hire his staff with out concern on cost.

Reactions: Cytown12

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Usually that poster's replies start with a very direct 'This is wrong' before lambasting someone so not quite sure.

Swarthmore is posting similar things on 247. Could be different people.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I've been searching out various reactions from college basketball people and I think it reflects CF - very "meh". No one is saying its a terrible hire. No one is saying its a great hire. In fact, most national people were like "ISU hired TJ Otzelberger as expected" and moved on. We are a bit more passionate here on CF but that's pretty close to the average reaction.

I don't know why the pro-TJ people are pissed at the anti-TJ people, and vice versa. It wasn't an exciting hire. It was rushed and seemed wired to TJ the entire time. It may work out, it may not. But I think most fans DO have a problem with how Pollard conducted the search. But he's the AD and we are fans, so he gets to do things his way.

But he's the coach now and we'll all support him and hope he succeeds. We won't know if its a great hire or an epic failure for a few years so let's enjoy the ride and cheer like hell for him.

I do not have any problem with the way Pollard conducted his search. I don't remember anyone saying anything about process when Campbell or Dresser was hired. Suddenly everyone is butthurt over the hiring process when it's TJ.

The fact is no one on here knows what avenues Pollard explored, but the idea that you hold some kind of open process where everyone knows who is interviewing is ridiculous. That hardly ever happens anymore because anyone with a high major or even most mid-major jobs can't afford to openly be a part of that process. They would get killed in recruiting. Who knows who Pollard had communications with, but most of that would have been through back channels that few would know about. Pollard will, and should, be judged on TJs performance.

Reactions: VeloClone

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

I will explain why I've been mad at the anti-TJ people. I think there was a really vocal minority that was insistent that TJ was obviously going to be a failure. I think they tried to use just this year as their basis and dismissed any of his other years as a head coach. They also tried to dismiss his record as an assistant. I don't think they were having an honest discussion.

On the flip side I never saw anyone say that TJ was a for sure home run hire or the clear and obvious choice. Some may have said they were fine with the abbreviated search that we saw, but it was more from the perspective of why delay the inevitable.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I've been pretty restrained in my opinions of potential coaches since honestly I don't watch much CBB outside ISU games, and the tourney, so my opinion is pretty useless there. I did give CSP a chance and was pretty quiet (even though I didn't really like his style) at first. I was supportive (if doubtful) until he proved he wasn't the guy.

I'll do the same for TJ. I do like the hire, in that it has the great potential for a quick healing process that someone "outside the family" might not have. And on the upside, if TJ does prove to be great, we don't have to worry about him leaving. This is where he wants to be. The thing about hiring someone that can be "like coach K" is that to get that result, you can't hire 74 year old Coach K (or insert literally any other 65+ successful coach), you have to have hired him away from Army in 1980. You don't hire older, established, high $$$ coaches if you're trying to build something great. That's who you hire to maintain something if you've already got greatness. That's why I was also liking folks' ideas of Craig Smith and DeVries (although I really think DeVries will bide his time until Mad Fran is fired and wouldn't ever take the ISU job).

And I think that's what this hire is all about--the upside potential is really, really high with a hire like TJ, yet the downside isn't much worse than any other potential hire at this point in time.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I am very interested in what are the the incentive are. It is possible TJ's early salary is low probably 10th in the Big 12. Still above UNLV's contract and he'll get the opportunity to get a raise in the future through the incentives for early success and contract two if that happens. A low base this year should allow him to hire his staff with out concern on cost.

I think the writing was on the wall based on information released about Matt Campbells incentive laden contract earlier this week.

I agree, would not surprise me if TJ's base is lowest in Big12. But I would expect he can make $500k-$1M in incentives.

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
Sure, there’s been some questioning of TJ’s capabilities here, more than I would like. He wasn’t my first choice, but I’m one of those hopeless folks who are still smitten by Fred (yeah, I’m an idiot). Jamie is running the business of the AD, and while I haven’t always liked his methods, a lot of the results have been good, and I am glad it isn’t my job.

I have no doubt that TJ will work his tail off, and I will be more excited for next year’s start of MBB than I have been since Nov 2019.

Unless TJ does something monumentally wrong (e.g. recruiting violations, harassment) which is highly unlikely, I doubt I ever come down hard on or think poorly of him. I will, however, be very unhappy with Jamie for his evaluation and where he placed value during this hire and maybe not truly even considering other options. I don’t know if TJ’s contract details are out yet, but I bet the base is modest and loaded with incentive goals. I appreciate how much TJ wants to be here and that he is willing to bet on himself by not having his money guaranteed up front. Jamie values this a lot. More than I wish he would.

It feels like Jamie always undervalues Iowa State (and for that matter, the state of Iowa) by often grabbing coaches who have an Iowa State or state of Iowa connection for a hometown discount (maybe it is PTSD from Chizik). Jamie’s got to live in the real world of dollars and cents while I get to be a delusional fan. I am hopeful that in a few years that questioning Jamie on this will be very much to my chagrin. It’s happened before. Hopefully it happens this time.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Foster was the best in the state last year. You keep him and bring this player in...along with Hunter and Nunn...you will have the ponies.

Bilieu is only a sophomore, so he has a couple years of HS yet. But he is a very good player and already has a Big12 body.

Not sure if it is still the case but his AAU coach used to be John Lamb, who played for ISU around the time Hoiberg was hired. So John would know TJ pretty well.

Reactions: NWICY and Go2Guy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron