Official Announcement of TJ as the New Iowa State Mens BBall Coach

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Yeah. In my opinion, not a great choice from a possibility of a number of terrible choices. Perhaps I would rather have seen Allison Lacy be the hire for the men's team. At least we would be breaking new ground. Hopefully TJ Pretzelburger (yup, I wanna call this the Applebee's hire) surprises me with some Johnny Orr ball that also has defense and clout with recruiting. I was certainly tired of seeing Prohm pulling guys from the floor just when they started to sing.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Way too much drama and innuendos in this thread debating the fate of a guy that hasn’t even coached his first game here. I can see that game threads are going to be even more toxic than ever. I’m big on being vocal when a coach has failed (see the origins of this very site), but all of this pre-**** is ridiculous. Y’all should be ashamed of having potential recruits read half this **** about a guy that hasn’t even been given a chance.
Agree. Not to mention that game threads are the stupidest thing ever. Watch the ******* game.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Might play with the guards if they both come and stay. Foster said two years of school and that's it. And it's a good thing his AAU coach is familiar with our head coach so when the time comes if this guy blows up he won't have a big get together at Hilton to announce the school of his choice only to skype another coach.
Guessing Foster's foot injury set him back a year.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I didn't think Hoiberg was a good hire and think the same about TJ. Sweet 16 here we come!

I'm currently not too excited about basketball, but once TJ starts filling out the roster excitement will build. I hope he's really successful here.
Can I rub your head for luck?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I do like TJ and want him to succeed here. I'm glad he went and got HC experience at a couple (very) different places before coming back here. Great recruiter and high character guy, and his ISU connections are known. We know he'll work his ass off here.

I will say that Pollard's video message didn't quite sit right with me. I don't recall him having to sell the fans this much on a new hire. His tone was almost pleading. If TJ does fail, combined with the friendships with JP and the media, having to let him go is going to be very messy.

Ideally, TJ starts winning and we forget all about this discussion
Even though Pollard says he does not, and that ISU coaches do not, read or listen to CF, it's a good bet he has some spies out that report back to him the pulse of the fans here and elsewhere.

I think he knew the feelings of many (maybe most) fans who wanted an exhaustive search, and of many fans wanting a clean break from the past.

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
Yeah. In my opinion, not a great choice from a possibility of a number of terrible choices. Perhaps I would rather have seen Allison Lacy be the hire for the men's team. At least we would be breaking new ground. Hopefully TJ Pretzelburger (yup, I wanna call this the Applebee's hire) surprises me with some Johnny Orr ball that also has defense and clout with recruiting. I was certainly tired of seeing Prohm pulling guys from the floor just when they started to sing.

You’re a special kind of stupid!

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I hope TJO has some magic to fix the fundamentals problems. How does your opponent make 100 more FTs than you attempt? The rebounding and turnover stats for this past season are just about as lopsided.

Watching the tourney games this weekend...I knew ISU was not a good outisde shooting team, but it was quite sobering to see just how far ISU is behind in "paint" play, both offensively and defensively.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Is it too early to make a request that men's basketball never wear black uniforms?

Black would be an improvement over those terrible grey ones they wore at home a couple of yrs ago. Those had to be the worst home uniforms every worn in Hilton Coliseum.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Black would be an improvement over those terrible grey ones they wore at home a couple of yrs ago. Those had to be the worst home uniforms every worn in Hilton Coliseum.
We still have those but rarely wear them. I’m guessing we’ll get a full new set of uniforms. Including a black tbh. Almost every other sport at ISU has a black uniform now.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
One for the haters: rumors going around that Turgeon wants out of Maryland. And he wants back in the Midwest.
Marquette would be perfect for him. However, I don't like since he is a great recruiter.

edit: looked into him more, apparently his recruiting has slipped in the past few years and Maryland fans feels like he underperforms with the talent that comes in.

Last edited:

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Just to recap for those not yet aboard the COTZ train...

Stated he wants to recruit the region versus Southeastern US..
Kept DRob which likely will keep Tyrese Hunter committed
Dropped a recruit that ISU shouldn't have taken in the first place
First two re-offers went to a Ames High guard who likely will regain 4-star status and a 4-star Lacrosse area, WI guard (10 minutes from the Iowa/MN border
Got a analytical gem to transfer
Landed Kyle Green

And we are what.. a week into the COTZ era?!

All of these are really big steps in the right direction

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Ok everyone, you know who your are. Bon appetit!
eating-crow.jpg