*** Official #8 IOWA STATE vs UCF Game(Day) Thread ***

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
34 minutes? How long was ISU behind total? 2 minutes?

When did winning get bad?

sure, in my eyes a win is a win. however, let's scenario-play for a bit. suppose we win out and are Big 12 tournament champions, meanwhile Arizona, UNC, and Tennessee stumble a bit, and suddenly we're in the conversation for a 1-seed. if the tournament committee starts looking at specific games to determine if they want to have us as a 2 or bump us up to a 1 - which they've done in the past - this game isn't the greatest of looks for us despite what the final score was.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
sure, in my eyes a win is a win. however, let's scenario-play for a bit. suppose we win out and are Big 12 tournament champions, meanwhile Arizona, UNC, and Tennessee stumble a bit, and suddenly we're in the conversation for a 1-seed. if the tournament committee starts looking at specific games to determine if they want to have us as a 2 or bump us up to a 1 - which they've done in the past - this game isn't the greatest of looks for us despite what the final score was.

That still means ISU is in the NCAA tournament after a really great season which is awesome so I'm not seeing what the problem is here.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
What exactly were you expecting? They have the 10th best defense in college basketball so it was a struggle to score. We found a way at an extremely tough place to play. They've already beaten Kansas, Tech, and won on the road at Texas.

I'm sure the committee will demote Houston now because their defense wasn't very good tonight?

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009
We won by more than the analytics suggested we would. I agree it wasn’t a thing of beauty.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Man at the beginning of the yr we just wanted to make the Tourney again, I'm not going to sweat where we get seeded. Just have to keep taking care of business.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Or they have just been playing some really good defenses. People always feel winning has to look a certain way or the team isn't performing well. They are winning in some tough situations and getting it done. Shots aren't always going to fall so they have to find other ways. I agree they were not performing at maximum levels on offense, but that rarely happens. Getting it done and winning in multiple ways is the mark of a good team. A lull is losing. They aren't losing.
This team has objectively, analytically, factually been in a “lull” offensively the last 3 games. There is absolutely nothing wrong with stating it, knowing it, and understanding it. I promise - it won’t make you a worse Cyclone fan, it doesn’t make you a “non-believer”. It’s just a fact, it’s fine.

It is also true that this team is special and has gone 3-0 while not playing well offensively. While playing sub-par offensively, and plummeting in offensive efficiency metrics - this team is still winning. That is the sign of a really goddamn good team! So proud of this group, they are as tough as they come!

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
We went on the road and covered the spread against a team who has three wins against ranked teams in conference. I think the committee will look fondly on this game.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Correct me if I am wrong but won't we be 2-3 seed playing Thursday night in KC?

Yeah, that's guaranteed.

Really for the big 12 tournament a 2 seed isn't that much different than a 3 seed. You both end up playing each other on friday either way if things go chalk

Based on the 'chalk' settings on mred's generator, it'd be the difference between playing TCU\Cincy on Thursday or playing KU. Some advantages/disadvantages both ways with those

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Man at the beginning of the yr we just wanted to make the Tourney again, I'm not going to sweat where we get seeded. Just have to keep taking care of business.

My personal 'want' for ISU is to make the tourney with big home wins mixed in so the rest of this is just gravy.

'Greedy' for me is winning a tourney game or two and I realize that may be a low bar to some but I just don't trust the tournament enough to feel like ISU should automatically make a run.

Reactions: NWICY

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
This team has objectively, analytically, factually been in a “lull” offensively the last 3 games. There is absolutely nothing wrong with stating it, knowing it, and understanding it. I promise - it won’t make you a worse Cyclone fan, it doesn’t make you a “non-believer”. It’s just a fact, it’s fine.

It is also true that this team is special and has gone 3-0 while not playing well offensively. While playing sub-par offensively, and plummeting in offensive efficiency metrics - this team is still winning. That is the sign of a really goddamn good team! So proud of this group, they are as tough as they come!
Plummeting in the metrics means one of two things, either there is a serious recency bias in the models or there is very little separating 20-80 in offensive metrics. ISU has had some grind it out wins against quality opponents that have a thorough scout on us. We are what we are. Arguably the best defense in the country right now with an ok offense. Let's see where that gets us.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Plummeting in the metrics means one of two things, either there is a serious recency bias in the models or there is very little separating 20-80 in offensive metrics. ISU has had some grind it out wins against quality opponents that have a thorough scout on us. We are what we are. Arguably the best defense in the country right now with an ok offense. Let's see where that gets us.
I think it just means…they are struggling a little bit on offense these last couple of games :)

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
BRE with the play of the game by smartly fouling a 59% free throw shooter. We were in trouble at that point and all the momentum changed on that one free throw miss.

Also when it was still close their player dived into one of our better free throw shooters (C Jones) for no reason and gave us 2 points and our first breathing room of that run.

T-oh double D

Jan 20, 2024
I think what sucks is it is somewhat likely that a new team wins the conference.
Nah, I just wish it were us that was going to win the conference (and we’re still in it if we can win our last two). It don’t bother me that it could be Houston tho, it just means the B12 is much stronger now as a whole.

I was a little surprised that Houston did as well as they did. When we beat them early in the conference schedule, I figured they were going to get humbled now that they were playing with the big boys every night- Houston proved me wrong. I hope we get another shot at them in KC- we catch them at Hilton South and I think we got a solid shot to win it.

What’s wild is Arizona could come in next year and do the same thing...

Reactions: NENick

T-oh double D

Jan 20, 2024
KU beat UConn, Tennessee, Kentucky.
I guess those guys finish in the bottom half of Big 12. :)
For sure- Kansas has some great non-con wins…and maybe those teams would be running a solid 6th in the B12.

It just seems like the media wants to crown Kansas every year and prop up their ranking. Case in point, we are a full 3 games better than them, playing roughly the same competition, we have beat them head-to-head, and they are still ranked ahead of us as of today (of course that’ll change tomorrow). This isn’t a hate Kansas piece, but the media’s rush to crown the blue bloods, and we see it in football too, gets old.

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
For sure- Kansas has some great non-con wins…and maybe those teams would be running a solid 6th in the B12.

It just seems like the media wants to crown Kansas every year and prop up their ranking. Case in point, we are a full 3 games better than them, playing roughly the same competition, we have beat them head-to-head, and they are still ranked ahead of us as of today (of course that’ll change tomorrow). This isn’t a hate Kansas piece, but the media’s rush to crown the blue bloods, and we see it in football too, gets old.
It’s largely not a bias against Iowa State or probably even for KU. It’s just lazy humans that are involved in these polls taking little time to really do their job and dig into and make an informed rating.

T-oh double D

Jan 20, 2024
BRE with the play of the game by smartly fouling a 59% free throw shooter. We were in trouble at that point and all the momentum changed on that one free throw miss.
BRE played awesome. That play, plus the charge he took late in the game was just a master class on a smart player finding ways to help his team when we needed it most. BRE‘s improvement over the last year has been huge shot in the arm. We’ve gone from a 5th or 6th spot in conference to still being in the running to win the conference late in the season.