*** Official #6 IOWA STATE vs Kansas State Game(Day) Thread ***

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The refs have allowed a very physical style of play in the league this year, lots of hand checking, pushing a cutting player off his route, hammering a player going up for a shot with few fouls being called. Many times yesterday we see a player go to the hoop and get hit without a foul being call, its becoming more physical and unless we want to see 70 free throw games, nothing is going to change quickly.

Reactions: CyNews and rosshm16

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
The inconsistency is the truly maddening thing about the current state of officiating in NCAA BB. You shouldn't have to go into each game or each half of each game wondering what is going to be a foul and what style(s) of play will be allowed.

We're often reminded when we complain about "Big 12 refs" that there are no Big 12 refs, the officials are independent contractors who do games all around the country in all the leagues.

Maybe it would help to change that? Have a pool of refs who only do Big 12 games? I can't imagine it's easy for these guys to go from doing a Big 12 game one night to an MVC game the next, then back to the Big 12 etc.

Reactions: CyNews

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I completely agree with most of what you said. If you want to go back in my posting history, I’ve been calling it a slump since the Oklahoma game and got a lot of pushback. It’s not been great, not even good, for the most part. Today was abysmal.

I felt our offense was pretty good this year given the talent for most of the conference slate. Honestly we are missing a true alpha go to bucket getter. When we get lost we have nowhere to go.

There were just so many areas that were way out of character today (even defensively) I feel like calling him out for the loss is a little unfair.
I started a thread about this after UCF and got put through the run ringer.

Not having an alpha/ all conference type of player was our kryptonite last season and appears it will rear its ugly head again once the basketball gods decide our time has come this season

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I think there is a decent chance we can make the Sweet 16 if we continue to play poorly on offense but without figuring out some offense that's our ceiling
I don't disagree, however it will be entirely dependent on matchups as usual. This team is just as susceptible to lose to a 14 seed as it is advance to the Sweet 16

Reactions: CyNews

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
King, Ward, BRE & Milan combined for 14 points. That is not a formula for success. Gilbert, Jones & Lipsey are capable scorers. Otz & staff have to figure out how to get more scoring out of the first group when out of Hilton or the next season will be four or less games.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I don't know CW and I'm not going to say he is an idiot, but tired and banged up was also rolled out on Cyclonefanatic last year about this time as well when things didn't look good. Houston is just as banged up......plays with just as much if not more intensity......and they didn't look tired against KU. Did Kansas State look tired to you? Did BYU look tired Wednesday when they lost at Hilton? Watched the UConn/Villanova game and they were both playing like they were shot out of a cannon.

In fact I didn't see one team yesterday win or lose where a team looked gassed. So why is for the second year in a row about this time of the season ISU once again is the only team in the country where it's said players are running on fumes?

They aren't tired and no more banged up than any team after 4 months of play. They just lost a game.......that's all. And it will happen again........maybe this week. Then maybe again the next week. And it will have absolutely nothing to do with them being tired and banged up.
could it be our off season is so hard, pre-season practice is hard and in season practice? I don't know, just throwing this out there as to why those teams look fresh and ours doesn't. But what is a fact is cumulative fatigue with athletes. There is a tipping point where too much hard training has negative impact on joint, muscle, recovery, and physical output. These are facts. If we are not a tired and banged up basketball team, then how do you explain our terrible offensive output? What do you think, a schematic issue or a combination of things?

Reactions: twincyties

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
I don't like the "We're tired" excuse for the recent struggles to score. We haven't looked fired up and ready to play on offense since the Houston game. Do we train, practice, and play harder than all of KSU, BYU, UCF, OU, and WVU? Doesn't seem likely.

Houston looked more charged up and energetic than ever against Kansas yesterday, and they're missing Joe Tugler who is a key rotation player. Do we train, practice, and play harder than them? Doesn't seem likely.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
could it be our off season is so hard, pre-season practice is hard and in season practice? I don't know, just throwing this out there as to why those teams look fresh and ours doesn't. But what is a fact is cumulative fatigue with athletes. There is a tipping point where too much hard training has negative impact on joint, muscle, recovery, and physical output. These are facts. If we are not a tired and banged up basketball team, then how do you explain our terrible offensive output? What do you think, a schematic issue or a combination of things?

Less athletic ability vs. other teams and scouting.

Injuries too perhaps; might cause a player to press when it's not there. Same thing when things aren't falling.

Reactions: cayin

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I don't like the "We're tired" excuse for the recent struggles to score. We haven't looked fired up and ready to play on offense since the Houston game. Do we train, practice, and play harder than all of KSU, BYU, UCF, OU, and WVU? Doesn't seem likely.

Houston looked more charged up and energetic than ever against Kansas yesterday, and they're missing Joe Tugler who is a key rotation player. Do we train, practice, and play harder than them? Doesn't seem likely.
You don't think if KU were coming to our building for the last game of the year our guys wouldn't be fired up too? I have no idea why we look the way we do. I do know we go extremely hard in the off season and preseason. I just put out there we could be tired. Chris Williams, who is closer to the program than me, the game announcers yesterday, and Tom Crean (yeah I guess he is an idiot) all said we are tired. When shots and FTs are not falling, that could also be an indicator of tired legs. CW also said Lipsey and Gilbert are playing hurt. It is interesting that against OU, the guys that play a lot of minutes really couldn't do much offensively, but Watson who does not play as much bailed us out with his scoring. So our starters have not had good offensive output at all since the Houston game.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

The offensive issues have been a thing since TJ was hired. It happened less this year with Milan, C. Jones and Gilbert being on board. But it's still there. Listen to Lipsey when asked about offensive issues. Because of defensive lapses? That's all you need to know about TJ's system. It is what it is. Most of the time it works. Sometimes it doesn't. It's no more complicated than that.

As for losing the game...........KSU beat us. That's it and that's all. Listen to TJ on his post.....no excuses. And none need to be made. I don't care what CW, Tom Crean, the SIDS or even what is being shoveled on the premium site. Unless TJ is secretly telling CW and everyone "in the know" behind the scenes his guys have had it....then don't buy it.

I'm sorry to not be like way too many on this site who thinks TJ walks on water. Because he doesn't. He is very well grounded and I think it might be best if instead of making any and every type of excuse known to man why he might lose, just follow his lead and say hey..................we were beat.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
The offensive issues have been a thing since TJ was hired. It happened less this year with Milan, C. Jones and Gilbert being on board. But it's still there. Listen to Lipsey when asked about offensive issues. Because of defensive lapses? That's all you need to know about TJ's system. It is what it is. Most of the time it works. Sometimes it doesn't. It's no more complicated than that.

As for losing the game...........KSU beat us. That's it and that's all. Listen to TJ on his post.....no excuses. And none need to be made. I don't care what CW, Tom Crean, the SIDS or even what is being shoveled on the premium site. Unless TJ is secretly telling CW and everyone "in the know" behind the scenes his guys have had it....then don't buy it.

I'm sorry to not be like way too many on this site who thinks TJ walks on water. Because he doesn't. He is very well grounded and I think it might be best if instead of making any and every type of excuse known to man why he might lose, just follow his lead and say hey..................we were beat.
I’m not a fan of Tang’s theatrics or his playing the religion card but give him credit, he is a capable coach. If someone had offered a bet to me that Ward, King, BRE & Milan would combine for 14 points, I’d have laughed and lost that bet. They shut our inside game down. And we are no more tired or beat up than any other B12 team by now. Houston, BYU & KU have key players out, we don’t. C Jones is our only consistent threat. Hopefully, Milan can add muscle and be consistent next year.

• Disagree
Reactions: alarson

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
And in the last 3 weeks we are 4-2 with 2 quad 1 wins and 2 quad 1 losses. This team is far from perfect, but they are perfectly capable of beating any team on a neutral court and model outputs would even tell you that. Saying they can't get past the sweet 16 is on its face ridiculous.
Agree. And people need to remember that folks usually feel a little too optimistic on a team after a bunch of wins, and a little too down after a loss.

We'll see how the rest of the season goes, but I would not be happy if my team drew Iowa State. Hopefully we will put some really good games together soon.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
It's pretty easy to see what's wrong with our offense. Freshman legs not there. KG and Tamin are hurting. And our offense was super efficient when we turned teams over 20+ times with 20 fast break points.

If we meet a team that takes care of the ball and can shoot 3s, we might be in trouble. I still think we should make it to the 2nd weekend no matter who we face. But I tend to think we will win every game. So there's that.
What does "hurting" mean though? I see two guards who struggle with decision making and lack offensive polish.

Reactions: rosshm16

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
The refs have allowed a very physical style of play in the league this year, lots of hand checking, pushing a cutting player off his route, hammering a player going up for a shot with few fouls being called. Many times yesterday we see a player go to the hoop and get hit without a foul being call, its becoming more physical and unless we want to see 70 free throw games, nothing is going to change quickly
Players and coaches will adjust to how the game is being called. Iowa State generally doesn't do much hand-checking or reaching in. They just body up on people.

Help Support Us

Become a patron