***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
You triggered guys can dumb my posts in secrecy all you want, but answer a simple question. Why are people out when the news is frantically begging people to take shelter and they are reiterating how dangerous the situation is?

I'm sorry but there's no valid excuse for anybody unless you are Reed Timmer.
We are rural, so we don't hear sirens unless we are outside. We weren't watching TV, or on our phones or computers. In fact, I was taking a nap. I'm thankful for friends that text weather warnings to us.

I'm glad you're so perfect, so much better than everyone else, and I'm glad you feel the need to share that fact on here so frequently.

In other words,
Bugger off.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
You triggered guys can dumb my posts in secrecy all you want, but answer a simple question. Why are people out when the news is frantically begging people to take shelter and they are reiterating how dangerous the situation is?

I know many people who never watch 1 second of any news. I know numerous people that had no idea storms were coming. These are not dumb people they are just in their own little world dealing with their stuff.

Another thing, satellite radio is huge and you don't get NWS warning interuptions when listening to that like you do FM/AM radio.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
We are rural, so we don't hear sirens unless we are outside. We weren't watching TV, or on our phones or computers. In fact, I was taking a nap. I'm thankful for friends that text weather warnings to us.

I'm glad you're so perfect, so much better than everyone else, and I'm glad you feel the need to share that fact on here so frequently.

In other words,
Bugger off.

Exactly, my wife made the comment (because I am out of town) that she knew our county had a Tornado warning but had no idea where it was because the TV and Internet were out.

• Winner
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I know many people who never watch 1 second of any news. I know numerous people that had no idea storms were coming. These are not dumb people they are just in their own little world dealing with their stuff.

Another thing, satellite radio is huge and you don't get NWS warning interuptions when listening to that like you do FM/AM radio.

Additionally, this storm hit during the time when a lot of people are getting off work or out of school. My employer let people leave early if they wanted, but not all did. Many schools let out early, but not all did.

It's pretty rude to assume everyone out on the roads at that time was willfully ignoring warnings.

ISULibrarian

Apr 17, 2010

I mean, the lady is dead, as are people that might have been hunkered down at home. Yes, everyone should take cover when told, but people have jobs and ****. I had requested comp time to leave by 3, and thankfully work announced we were closing at 2 PM to allow folks to get home, but other folks might not be in a position that they can just leave their jobs and their job might not actually give a **** about their safety. It really sucks.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They talked about how this was a rare 15% tornado threat for a week before this happened and people are still out driving around for whatever reason.

You turn on the news and they are begging people to head to their shelter and then it flips over to the traffic cam and people are out getting groceries instead.

How do you know they were getting groceries? Do you know if they had a shelter?

How do you know they weren't headed out to help someone or were coming home from work or a myriad of other reasons they might have been out?

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
I'm literally dumbfounded reading some of these responses so I'll jsut leave it at that.

It's literally a life or death situation, I dont get it.
Not really. The actual path of a tornado is small. You have to be really unlucky to take a direct hit. You could sit outside during tornado warnings and 99% of the time you'll get rained on and nothing more.

• Dumb
Reactions: NoCreativity

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Fine, fair enough, I just have low tolerance for Darwinism situations.

I'm literally dumbfounded reading some of these responses so I'll jsut leave it at that.

There comes a time when showing some fking decency should outweigh one's desire to look smart to strangers on the internet. This would be one of those times.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa

It's pretty simple actually. There's a time to be a know-it-all a-hole and then there are times to stop posting because not every thought that comes through your brain needs to be published. You clearly can't read the room.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I mean, the lady is dead, as are people that might have been hunkered down at home. Yes, everyone should take cover when told, but people have jobs and ****. I had requested comp time to leave by 3, and thankfully work announced we were closing at 2 PM to allow folks to get home, but other folks might not be in a position that they can just leave their jobs and their job might not actually give a **** about their safety. It really sucks.

At our job we have the ability to work remotely; if I still lived in IA I would’ve worked from home on Tuesday.

Not everyone has that option. It’s possible they are in office and couldn’t get off, had a meeting that couldn’t get rescheduled, etc. Jer either needs help or needs to be treated like the troll he is.

• Agree
Reactions: ISULibrarian

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
At our job we have the ability to work remotely; if I still lived in IA I would’ve worked from home on Tuesday.

Not everyone has that option. It’s possible they are in office and couldn’t get off, had a meeting that couldn’t get rescheduled, etc. Jer either needs help or needs to be treated like the troll he is.
Jer? I thought ISULibrarian was replying to NoCreativity?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

Here's an easy one to comprehend then for anyone with half of a brain:

I was out while the siren was going off in town to get my son from daycare and into mom and dad's care versus the daycare center that is questionably equipped to deal with a tornado. I have my doubts the building is more equipped than our house. I know for a fact two adults to a child versus the daycare center at 15:1 adults to children gives us a higher chance for a non-traumatizing experience. I will always do everything in my power, like any good parent, to care for my son. I wasn't the only one with that line of thinking either based on what I typically see at pickup time vs what I saw Tuesday.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Yeah, an F1 can completely level a town.

Once your house is leveled does it matter if it’s in 1,000 pieces or a 1,000,000? Of course not.

It matters in the realm of science. Warnings, how they warn, the advice the warnings provide. Back in 2013 Mike Morgan got a lot of **** for telling people in the path of the el Reno tornado to get in their car and drive out of the direct path if they could. Ive always thought it would be wise for NWS to add that kind of language to their warnings in certain situations. As we figure out what can survive and what can’t, we can move down that path and hopefully save lives in the future.