***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
schools would of never closed for storms like this back in my day

we practice tornado drills! get ur book and goto the hall and cover your head!
Yeah, this is certainly something new since I have been out of school. Not sure exactly when the change happened though.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
Yeah, this is certainly something new since I have been out of school. Not sure exactly when the change happened though.
It's because of the timing. It's scheduled to hit during bus drop off. Your options are:
  • Keep students and staff in all buildings stay after school until the weather event is clear
  • Dismiss at normal time and hope things go well at drop off
  • Dismiss early and avoid all chances of weather, clearing the district of any potential wrongdoing stemming from a kid getting dropped off in lightning.
I also never had this happen "back in my day", but I also never had the potential of a tornado causing system hitting right when I was supposed to be getting off the bus.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
It's because of the timing. It's scheduled to hit during bus drop off. Your options are:
  • Keep students and staff in all buildings stay after school until the weather event is clear
  • Dismiss early and avoid all chances of weather, clearing the district of any potential wrongdoing stemming from a kid getting dropped off in lightning.
I also never had this happen "back in my day", but I also never had the potential of a tornado causing system hitting right when I was supposed to be getting off the bus.
Forecast models weren't as accurate either, vot with the intensity and the timing.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
We are way better at predicting the storms and their timing then 20+ years ago.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines

It's obviously due to the timing. Storms are predicted to hit right around dismissal time. The last thing we need is a bunch of kids being let out in the middle of tornadoes.

• Winner
Reactions: cyfanatic

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

Yeah but it was easier to hunker down in the one-room school house rather than get the kids out in horse and buggies. Not to mention walking uphill both ways in stormy weather is very taxing.

I don't know how old you are, I just talk **** like that to my dad every chance I get.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I am as well, but I admit the 2020 derecho still gives me a little PTSD. Like an idiot, I watched 10 trees drop on and around my house from my living and dining room windows. I still have a few very large trees on the west side of the house and I worry about them every time the wind gets strong.
Sounds like my wife. She was cooped up in the downstairs bathroom riding out the derecho, hearing our massive old elm tree crashing down in our backyard (almost entirely missing our house, thank god). Now every time there’s a thunderstorm warning anywhere in the county she’s all “we better head down to the basement.”

Me, I was stuck in my car along the side of the highway in the derecho, getting pelted with rain and rocks after the rear window blew in, praying I wasn‘t going to get blown over into the ditch - and I’d still rather go out the front door and watch the lightning.

• Wow
Reactions: Nothingman

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It seemed like June was more tornado season when I was a kid. I don't remember there even being severe storms during the school year. It was always in summer it seemed.

Maybe the closest I have been to a tornado was one that missed my elementary school in November 1960 by a couple of blocks in Manchester, Iowa. We didn't even know about it till later. Little boy me was pretty impressed by the stuff driven into tree trunks when we looked at the damaged houses later. Of course this was the era of "Ooh, seems like tornado weather. Is that a siren? Better go sit on the front porch and watch the west sky!"

Reactions: cowgirl836

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
It's obviously due to the timing. Storms are predicted to hit right around dismissal time. The last thing we need is a bunch of kids being let out in the middle of tornadoes.
your right this is probably the first time in the history of storms that they've hit during the mid afternoon time frame

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
I need to check timing again because I think the initial round is less severe for us. Elementary school is single digit years old. However, I have family planning to drive nearly end to end hwy 20 up to NWIA and I'm wondering if they need to try and delay a day. Theyd be leaving early this morning from dubuque area.
I don't like how it's going to hit us right when it gets dark.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836