***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Two weeks of bitter cold temps followed by one week of massive snow. When it comes to winter, I'm fine with getting it over with as quickly as possible.

My fear is we could be heading into a very long summer with little precip and brutal heat. Hoping for a long spring and a long fall.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines

Crazy how much snow we had in January and how little snow Minneapolis has had.

Also crazy that there is still snow sitting around after so many days of warm weather.

Wife and I have tried to book two different trips up to MN to ski. We've cancelled both times because of 50's and rain :(

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Wife and I have tried to book two different trips up to MN to ski. We've cancelled both times because of 50's and rain :(
They got absolutely hammered last winter. I remember going up there in late March and still seeing giant piles of snow in the parking lots. I guess they had the opposite happen this year.

• Agree
Reactions: CYEATHAWK

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
They got absolutely hammered last winter. I remember going up there in late March and still seeing giant piles of snow in the parking lots. I guess they had the opposite happen this year.
Same. I was up a few times and the snow depth was up to the windows of the hotel we stayed at on our last trip. I was glad because the lake I fish on my annual trip was low that summer. Then last summer it was plenty full. Now we'll see how things shake out in June!

Reactions: throwittoblythe

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
@HFCS are you on the high (solid) ground?

I usually make fun of people here for being soft about weather but this really was a lot of rain for 3 days. My roof leaked but luckily got someone to fix it mid way through. It’s worse for people in hills or desert regions.

If you’ve seen Terminator 2 or Grease that huge empty concrete ravine for car chases is the “LA River” I live about 4 blocks from. Usually it’s a tiny 4 foot wide creek but now it looks more like the Missouri River.

Last edited:

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I usually make fun of people here for being soft about weather but this really was a lot of rain for 3 days. My roof leaked but luckily got someone to fix it mid way through. It’s worse for people in hills or dessert regions.

If you’ve seen Terminator 2 or Grease that huge empty concrete ravine for car chases is the “LA River” I live about 4 blocks from. Usually it’s a tiny 4 foot wide creek but now it looks more like the Missouri River.

Yeah, Some of the rainfall totals I've seen down there are impressive no matter where you are. 6"+ of rain in the lowlands in 2-3 days is a lot. Throw in the fact that most of the LA area should be a desert and it's easy to see how bad it can get quickly.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I usually make fun of people here for being soft about weather but this really was a lot of rain for 3 days. My roof leaked but luckily got someone to fix it mid way through. It’s worse for people in hills or desert regions.

Swift water rescue!!