***Official 2022 Weather Thread***

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
A little history from May 9th 1986...

A storm dropped almost 7 inches of rain in the Waukee area within 2 1/2 hours. The resulting damage due to flooding in the central Iowa area cost nearly $16 million dollars.

Anyone living there at that time remember?

Reminds me of the one in ankeny a few years ago that just parked right over here and dropped 9 inches.

So glad my power held out, unlike many in Ankeny that night. My sump pump was running overtime and still rising.

Reactions: psychlone99

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Reminds me of the one in ankeny a few years ago that just parked right over here and dropped 9 inches.

So glad my power held out, unlike many in Ankeny that night. My sump pump was running overtime and still rising.
Yeah I remember that. Almost every house in the neighborhood had torn up carpet on the curb the next week from water in the basement. We were lucky; ours held up like a champ.

I believe that was the same storm that Larry Cotlar drowned in.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Yeah I remember that. Almost every house in the neighborhood had torn up carpet on the curb the next week from water in the basement. We were lucky; ours held up like a champ.

That would be correct.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Dang! Already on my third shirt for the day!! Feels like 99 out. Dew Point of 74 says that the "humility" is really high!

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
It's a bad day to have your workout day and lawn mowing day converge at the same time.

My morning workout consists of a 14-20 mile bike ride at 5-5:30 am for about an hour and half. It isn't that bad that early.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trice

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
My morning workout consists of a 14-20 bike ride at 5-5:30 am for about an hour and half. It isn't that bad that early.
I used to enjoy running* in the heat, back when I was younger and faster**. It takes more of a toll now, particularly when it gets this hot this fast and there's no time to acclimate.

*lumbering methodically
**less pathetically slow

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006

Forgot that he drowned like that. Sad deal.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneGuy8

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Damn, you’re my hero. Wish I could wake up that early.
Ditto. I'm generally up early-ish, and at various points in my life have gotten up even earlier to work out. But it's a real slog for me energy-wise that early in the day.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021

I think the year or so before we got something like 7 inches in a couple of hours in WDM. That was the day I found out there was an obstruction in one of my downspouts that led to water overtopping and dropping right into the landscaping right next to the house. It was also the storm where we found out that due to the nature of how our sump pump was positioned in the pit, the water pouring into it was hitting the top of the float and not letting it fully extend to turn on. My pit was also completely sealed up by the radon system installation, but I was fully prepared to cut it open if necessary. I watched as the water filled that pit, getting ever closer to filling up to the point where the it would backfill the subdrain and eventually start seeping up through the basement floor.

Out of frustration, I banged on the outlet pipe with my flashlight and the pump miraculously kicked on. What followed was probably over 12 hours, between my wife and I, babysitting that pump and tapping on the pipe when the pit would fill up. Somewhere around 3 or 4 in the morning then inflow of water slowed enough to where it wasn't hitting the float any more and it would kick on without assistance. I cleared the gutter obstruction (a ball that must have been thrown on the roof by the kids) and hoped that would take care of it.

When that 2018 event rolled through, a similar thing happened with bad overtopping of the gutter, so we had to babysit the pump again, though not as rough this time. Turns out there was another ball further down the downspout left from the previous owner's kids. After clearing that and installing a new style of sump pump, I don't think it's even kicked on more than once since 2018. Although the wife still gets nervous whenever we get more than a half inch of rain.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron