MLB: ***Official 2022 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Kaplan was on Miller and Condon today and said the Cubs will likely get a better return on Happ than Contreras because of the extra year of control plus teams don't view Contreras as a great defensive catcher behind the plate - yes he has a great arm but pitch calling and framing has always been questioned so learning how to handle a new pitching staff in the middle of a pennant race he may see more time at DH than C where he lands. Thinks Robertson should net a decent prospect and lots of teams interested in Givens too.

It's going to be an active deadline for the Cubs and I think all 4 of those guys will get traded and probably a couple others like Martin, Smyly, and maybe even Ortega or a surprise player not being talked about if they have to throw someone in to get a better prospect back.
Can we please trade Hendricks? Or wait till next year if he’s not getting hurt every other week?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Can we please trade Hendricks? Or wait till next year if he’s not getting hurt every other week?
He won't be traded this year as he's hurt and not had a good season (or end to last one for that matter either) so he has little value right now. If he was healthy I would be all for it as his command has not been there and he's been giving up a lot of hard contact lately which is not good for a guy that has a fastball that tops out a 88 and relies on getting a lot of soft contact outs.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Lol, for what, a bucket of batting practice balls?
They won't get much more than a fringe low level prospect but he's a cheap left handed outfield bat that someone looking for some OF depth may be interested in as a bench player. Cubs really have no reason to keep him at this point so just getting any shot in the dark minor league player is enough.

• Agree
Reactions: NoCreativity

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Just read an article on the possible trade with the Mets and how they are unwilling to part with either of their top two prospects but are asking for our closer and all star catcher. Remembering what we gave up to the Yankees and White Sox to get that ring really pisses me off when I read this stuff. Hopefully our front office doesn't blink and give in.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
Just read an article on the possible trade with the Mets and how they are unwilling to part with either of their top two prospects but are asking for our closer and all star catcher. Remembering what we gave up to the Yankees and White Sox to get that ring really pisses me off when I read this stuff. Hopefully our front office doesn't blink and give in.

Their top two prospects can likely play down the stretch with call ups so it doesn’t shock me they are off limits. I think once Soto is traded, the dominoes will fall with Cubs players getting traded.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
FWIW, it’s looking more and more like the Cubs may have fleeced the Mets last year. Mets gave up someone who will likely be a top 50 prospect by years end for a shortstop to play for them for 2 months and miss the playoffs. They’re probably going to be a bit more cautious when dealing with us. Good on Jed to stand his ground

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
FWIW, it’s looking more and more like the Cubs may have fleeced the Mets last year. Mets gave up someone who will likely be a top 50 prospect by years end for a shortstop to play for them for 2 months and miss the playoffs. They’re probably going to be a bit more cautious when dealing with us. Good on Jed to stand his ground
We fleeced them because our return was injured but worked out. You keep rolling those dice and more times than not you come up losing.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
And Javy has been awful for the tigers this year.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
That wasn't even the worst trade sadly. Look at what they gave up to get Quintana. Cease is probably in the mix for Cy Young award and Jimenez when healthy has looked good but he's been hurt a lot so Cease has been the real steal in that trade.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
I don’t disagree, but as much as I disagree with the idea of selling off and rebuilding when you’re a top market organization, I do think Jed did a hell of a job at the deadline last year

Letting Baez, Rizzo, and Bryant go was a tough sell to the fanbase but those 3 trades already look good with the prospects they got back and the money saved. The 2016 team had 6 guys that struck out 100+ times and that doesn’t include Schwarber who was out almost all of the regular season. I think the FO will focus on guys with a higher contact rate which makes me think guys like Wisdom aren’t in the long term plans.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Well we have our first trade. Martin to the Dodgers for a utility guy that hits worse than Heyward. Wasn't expecting much for a 36 year old reliever with a 4.31 ERA so basically just got a cheap piece for a guy with some team control if he pans out.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Such a Cub thing, trade Iowa Cub Dixon Machado to the Giants in a minor deal, he starts tonight and gets hit by a pitch with 2 outs and winds up scoring in a 4 run inning...

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Letting Baez, Rizzo, and Bryant go was a tough sell to the fanbase but those 3 trades already look good with the prospects they got back and the money saved. The 2016 team had 6 guys that struck out 100+ times and that doesn’t include Schwarber who was out almost all of the regular season. I think the FO will focus on guys with a higher contact rate which makes me think guys like Wisdom aren’t in the long term plans.

Letting go of Bryant and Baez was the right call. Still wish they would have kept Rizzo, as he's playing pretty well and he'd be great for continuity.

I had honestly kind of forgotten about Bryant and checked on his numbers and his power numbers are awful and go figure, he's been hurt.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
My personal version of best case scenario

1. Soto to Dodgers
2. Padres turn to Cubbies for blockbuster
3. Mets and the NY media can get bent

Reactions: TheCaptain

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Obviously need to wait for whole deal, but trading away Efross was weird. 5 more years of team control. Must’ve been for a guy we’re really high on.