MLB: ***Official 2022 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Obviously need to wait for whole deal, but trading away Efross was weird. 5 more years of team control. Must’ve been for a guy we’re really high on.

That one made no sense to me. They better be getting a decent prospect in return as you don't just trade away cost controlled guys that have been a solid bullpen guy the past 2 seasons (61 appearances, 2.91 ERA 1.04 WHIP) for nothing. I thought if they made a deal with the Yankees it would be for Robertson or Givens so this one is surprising. Makes you wonder just how deep the purge will go now

Update: looks like they are getting the Yankees #7 prospect: WHAT?! The Cubs Are Trading Scott Effross to the Yankees (UPDATE) (bleachernation.com)

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Pretty sure the guy they traded for can slot into our rotation today if they want. Or 2023.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
That one made no sense to me. They better be getting a decent prospect in return as you don't just trade away cost controlled guys that have been a solid bullpen guy the past 2 seasons (61 appearances, 2.91 ERA 1.04 WHIP) for nothing. I thought if they made a deal with the Yankees it would be for Robertson or Givens so this one is surprising. Makes you wonder just how deep the purge will go now

Update: looks like they are getting the Yankees #7 prospect: WHAT?! The Cubs Are Trading Scott Effross to the Yankees (UPDATE) (bleachernation.com)

Best indicator in that article (which was a pretty even handed assessment) is this:

"As for Wesneski, he’s Rule 5 eligible after the season, so the Cubs very well might call him up down the stretch to get some big league exposure."

I think Yanks other top starter prospect in AAA, Ken Waldichuk (the other "W") is also Rule 5 after this season so they would have to figure room for both on the 40-man or lose them. Maybe good value both ways in this trade.

Reactions: CYdTracked

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
In other news, Angels have shut down offers for Shohei and are keeping him this year.

I feel like this is great news if the Cubs do have their sights on him after the 2023 season. If a team traded for him this year, they'd do everything they could to extend him.

He could be traded next year, of course, but his price will be lower and hopefully the Angels put together a somewhat competitive season and they choose to hold onto him.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
My original feeling was shock but seems like we got a great return. Ceiling for Efross, I think, was a good setup man.
With the lack of quality starting pitching depth in the Cubs system right now I understand this trade better after the initial shock wore off. If he pans out you add him to the 40 man and he maybe competes for a rotation job in 2023 if not at least some depth in AAA for the inevitable injuries. Swapping a reliever for a younger starting pitcher on the surface looks like a good deal. Cubs have been good about bringing up cost controlled relievers or signing some free agents that pan out.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
In other news, Angels have shut down offers for Shohei and are keeping him this year.

I feel like this is great news if the Cubs do have their sights on him after the 2023 season. If a team traded for him this year, they'd do everything they could to extend him.

He could be traded next year, of course, but his price will be lower and hopefully the Angels put together a somewhat competitive season and they choose to hold onto him.
Shohei is 1 player I would be fine with the Cubs shelling out some big $ for or even trading for if they got him signed to an extension as he's a once in a generational talent. Fills 2 needs with 1 roster spot too with being both a dominate starting pitcher and pretty good with the bat too.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
With the lack of quality starting pitching depth in the Cubs system right now I understand this trade better after the initial shock wore off. If he pans out you add him to the 40 man and he maybe competes for a rotation job in 2023 if not at least some depth in AAA for the inevitable injuries. Swapping a reliever for a younger starting pitcher on the surface looks like a good deal. Cubs have been good about bringing up cost controlled relievers or signing some free agents that pan out.

Bleacher Nation has done some nice write-ups about the 40 man and while they seem to come off as if the Cubs might be in a crunch, I guess I don't understand why.

You could just as easily release Hermosillo, Heyward, Ortega, Simmons, Rivas, and a host of pitchers and clear space.

Reactions: tman24

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
And Javy has been awful for the tigers this year.
I watched the Tigers game yesterday. He's just going through the motions and collecting hid paycheck. He's flailing away at pitches as usual and short-hopped a routine throw to first that was an error. The Tigers announcers commented on how many times their 1st baseman has already bailed him out on errors this year.

I dont blame him though, that team is extremely devoid of talent. I think think they are hitting .224 as a team and when former Iowa Cub Candelario is your best hitter you have major issues.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
The cubs clearly think they can produce quality bullpen arms in spades. This definitely a unique trade but probably good value and actually makes some sense as things line up for the future. From the rotation standpoint Hendricks/Stroman are probably off the books after next season, you've got Thompson/Steele pre-arb and undercontrol for several years, Killian/Wesneski likely in the rotation soon, Wicks/Herz not far behind that. So you'll have money coming off the books and then potentially 6 young cost controlled arms in short order. Can afford to spend big on a Correa/Bogarts/Turner, hope Davis get's healthy and makes an impact, etc.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
My original feeling was shock but seems like we got a great return. Ceiling for Efross, I think, was a good setup man.

Efross is a guy you wouldn't get rid of if you had any expectation of being competitive next year, as they've claimed is their goal.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Obviously need to wait for whole deal, but trading away Efross was weird. 5 more years of team control. Must’ve been for a guy we’re really high on.
Effross was the one guy on the pitching staff i saw as a sure thing major long term contributor.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Bleacher Nation has done some nice write-ups about the 40 man and while they seem to come off as if the Cubs might be in a crunch, I guess I don't understand why.

You could just as easily release Hermosillo, Heyward, Ortega, Simmons, Rivas, and a host of pitchers and clear space.

Discussion of releasing Simmons reminded me of this gem:

1659379475726.png

• Haha
Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Yeah there are plenty of 40 man casualties that can go if they need the space especially Heyward and Simmons are deadweight at this point. I'm not sure it is time to part with Rivas yet, he's only 25. Some of this will get sorted out at the deadline too as Contreras, Happ, Robertson, and Givens are 4 spots that surely not all the guys they get back will be on the 40 man right away. Sampson and Leiter probably won't survive the 40 man this offseason along with several others. Alec Mills is another guy I would be ok with a DFA too and will have decisions on whether to tender contracts on Schwindel and Wisdom after this year too. BN gets worked up over the 40 man but it's not like they have cut anyone significant this year that someone claimed or Cubs weren't able to keep on a minor league deal. Remember the freak out over DFA Frazier and not a team put a claim on him.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
"As for Wesneski, he’s Rule 5 eligible after the season, so the Cubs very well might call him up down the stretch to get some big league exposure."

I think Yanks other top starter prospect in AAA, Ken Waldichuk (the other "W") is also Rule 5 after this season so they would have to figure room for both on the 40-man or lose them. Maybe good value both ways in this trade.

Aaaannnddd Waldichuck leaves New York for Oakland.

Yankees are depleting the farm and going all in

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Aaaannnddd Waldichuck leaves New York for Oakland.

Yankees are depleting the farm and going all in

I don't blame them, they could lose Judge in the offseason and this team is stacked as it is. The farm system never has been a big deal to them because they can afford to go out and buy players on the free agent market if they need to.