MLB: ***Official 2021 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Doing the math, I think the Mets are already over the tier 3 threshold for next year and will likely be in in for the next 3 years. Cohen wants to win.

Rangers clearly want to win, as well.

But the Cubs lack of anything productive, including evidently having zero contract extension talks with Contreras, is concerning

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Doing the math, I think the Mets are already over the tier 3 threshold for next year and will likely be in in for the next 3 years. Cohen wants to win.

But the Cubs lack of anything productive, including evidently having zero contract extension talks with Contreras, is concerning
We got wade Miley

Reactions: ISUCubswin

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

I'm not concerned. This is what I expected us to do. Ricketts is not at all looking to win.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I'm not concerned. This is what I expected us to do. Ricketts is not at all looking to win.

I'm the fool who actually thought they'd spend money in an offseason stocked with great players. Welp, if ownership doesn't care about the Cubs winning neither do I. Operation Pay No Attention to the Cubs has commenced.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfan1965

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
I'm the fool who actually thought they'd spend money in an offseason stocked with great players. Welp, if ownership doesn't care about the Cubs winning neither do I. Operation Pay No Attention to the Cubs has commenced.
I don’t think they are doing anything until the CBA is signed. With the relationship between the union and league a lockout is in the table.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Didn't have good numbers this year but think he is worth taking a flier on. Yanks kind of screwed him by moving him up and down quite a bit and not really giving him a full-time shot.

Last edited:

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Didn't have good numbers this year but think he is worth taking a flyer on. Yanks kind of screwed him by moving him up and down quite a bit and not really giving him a full-time shot.

lol.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Somewhat concerned yet not shocked we’re going with Clint Frazier and Yan Gomes as our big signings.

I think it means Willson is gone, but what do I know

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Oh, he's definitely gone. We're going cheap.

Erik, when you root for a small market franchise like the Cubs you just have to get used to letting the good players leave or trading them for prospects.

I actually like the Frazier signing, although because it's a one year deal the upside potential isn't really that high. If he lives up to his first round hype, the Cubs couldn't possibly afford him given the teeny tiny Chicago market that won't allow them to spend more than a few million dollars in a given offseason.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Somewhat concerned yet not shocked we’re going with Clint Frazier and Yan Gomes as our big signings.

I think it means Willson is gone, but what do I know
People on twitter "oh yan will be a great backup"... internal monologue "yeah "backup""

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I remember a couple off-season's ago when the front office was trying to talk up the Daniel Descalso signing. I should have known that was a sign of things to come.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
My struggle is that I’m fine with not going spend crazy, but I’m not fine with sitting on our hands in arguably the worst division and not making any attempt to win the division even if we aren’t world beaters.

Someone on Twitter summed my feelings up perfectly - just give us a team that makes us feel like we have a 30% chance of winning the division and we’ll be happy.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
"Worth taking a flier on" sounds like a great slogan for the upcoming season.
Yep, that's the reality of it. We are probably a good 3+ years away from possibly having a team that could have a legit shot to do anything in the Playoffs.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Clint Frazier coming on board to double down on the 'Either hits a home run or strikes out' philosophy. A more expensive Patrick Wisdom with less positional flexibility if you will....

Reactions: Rabbuk

CyState85

May 8, 2019
I don’t think the Cubs want to set the market for these guys and the ridiculous lengths of their contracts. Let teams (Rangers, Mets, Tigers, Mariners) spend all their money out of the gate and then settle into the appropriate market for players when most of the money has been spent. Hoyer doesn’t want to have another Heyward contract 6 years down the road.

I expect the Cubs to sign guys to prove it deals and trade them at next years’s deadline.

Reactions: RoseClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron