MLB: ***Official 2019 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
A dramatic turnaround from last year's lack of All-Stars for the Cubs: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26898455/still-too-early-all-stars-track-midsummer-classic

Contreras, Rizzo, and Baez starters with Bryant as a reserve. No pitchers though. Not too surprised, Hendricks and Lester could make a case with a strong month of June maybe. Part of the problem is all the crappy teams have to have 1 representative and a lot of those teams their best player at the moment is probably a pitcher so the more position players a team gets the less likely they get a pitcher too unless they are just dominating right now.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I hope they don't go too crazy on Kimbrel. He'd be regressing in the last few years and I'm a little pessimistic about what he will bring to the table not having pitched in the last 9 months. Certainly worth a shot if the money is right, though.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I hope they don't go too crazy on Kimbrel. He'd be regressing in the last few years and I'm a little pessimistic about what he will bring to the table not having pitched in the last 9 months. Certainly worth a shot if the money is right, though.

If they just give him a bloated 1 year deal that would be ideal. Re-evaluate his value at the end of the season. He probably is looking for more than a 1 year prove it deal though so I'd be OK with something like a 2 year deal with some kind of option or vesting option incentives for a 3rd year. Committing more than 2 or 3 years on a high priced 31 year old reliever whose control can sometimes be wild. Cubs have the $ so if it takes 2 years to get a deal done you gotta shore up the bullpen now. You can probably get a guy with a cheaper salary via trade but how much in prospects will it cost you where Kimbrel is just money at this point.

Cubs are going to be in a tight spot with Strop after this season too because he will be an UFA. He's making $6.25 mil this year so how many years and $ would they be willing to commit to him or would they be better off using that money to get 2 bullpen arms instead. It's hard to believe it but Strop is actually older than Kimbrel as he turns 34 on the 13th.

Lot of $ coming off the books after this season
https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/chicago-cubs/yearly/payroll/roster/
Hamels: 20 mil
Zobrist: 12.5 mil
Strop: 6.25 mil
Cishek: 6.5 mil
Kintzler: 5 mil
Duensing: 3.5 mil

That's about $54 mil there not counting few lesser contracts I did not include and you have guys who are arbitration eligible like Edwards that could always be non-tendered too. Every day Zobrist is out right now is savings on this year too.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I don't know if it works strictly this way, but $10M divided by 162 games = almost $62K a game.

I haven't seen anything definitive but everything I've been reading or hearing seems to think he probably is not getting paid during this leave and the longer he is out the more $ they should have to pay Kimbrel. Dave Kaplan said on the Cub Pre-Game show on TV last night the Cubs have money if you look around the Wrigley neighborhood right now at all the improvements so there is no reason not to pay for a quality relief pitcher right now with this roster.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Friend and i decided to splurge and got tickets in the new Catalina Club off stubhub for $125 (after fees and these were by far the cheapest on there) and holy ******* **** it is worth it. Highly, highly recommend for everyone to do at least once. We’re heavily debating making this a yearly tradition cause it’s incredible

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Is it accurate to say that Julianna zobrist makes Christian edm or is my brother ******* with me