MLB: ***Official 2019 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I’ve kind of been off on Theo for a couple of years now - he is better than anyone in professional sports and tearing down and rebuilding, but as others have noted, transaction wise since 2016, this FO has been pretty terrible.

That being said, we also have to be realistic. We were all excited to get Jason Heyward, we were all excited about Darvish, and I think all of us would’ve taken those deals. They just didn’t work out.

Some of the trades, I agree, were bad.

Also, I disagree with the statement that our FA pitching is only going to get worse before it gets better. I’ll assume that’s Jack overreacting, but if you look at our 2021-2022 lineup of pitchers coming up, it isn’t exactly terrible

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Russell to Chicago

Almora to Iowa

It was overdue with Almora. You had to do it. Would have rather seem them wait a week or so to see if Zoborist is ready though. Just don't think that was enough time in Iowa for Russell.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I’ve kind of been off on Theo for a couple of years now - he is better than anyone in professional sports and tearing down and rebuilding, but as others have noted, transaction wise since 2016, this FO has been pretty terrible.

That being said, we also have to be realistic. We were all excited to get Jason Heyward, we were all excited about Darvish, and I think all of us would’ve taken those deals. They just didn’t work out.

Also, I disagree with the statement that our FA pitching is only going to get worse before it gets better. I’ll assume that’s Jack overreacting, but if you look at our 2021-2022 lineup of pitchers coming up, it isn’t exactly terrible

I don't think I'm overreacting. Who do you think is coming up in the 2021-22 time frame that's a legit starter option? That's a Keith Law quote below from prior to the start of this season. The Cubs have had a very poor trend of their starting pitching prospects struggling more and more as they advance through the minors. They don't have a single pitching prospect in the top 100. Until I see them develop a starting pitcher internally, then I'm going to take a pessimistic outlook as they haven't produced one yet in eight years.

“There may not be a starting pitching prospect in the system who projects as more than a No. 5 starter, and without last year’s draft class there’s only one position player prospect who projects as a regular.”

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

The only way I see the Cubs potentially getting back to contention, involves Russell getting back on track to where people were projecting him to develop after 2016. A great defensive SS (and the Cubs best defensive lineup is him at SS and Baez at 2B), who has close to 30 HR power and a decent OBP.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I don't think I'm overreacting. Who do you think is coming up in the 2021-22 time frame that's a legit starter option? That's a Keith Law quote below from prior to the start of this season. The Cubs have had a very poor trend of their starting pitching prospects struggling more and more as they advance through the minors. They don't have a single pitching prospect in the top 100. Until I see them develop a starting pitcher internally, then I'm going to take a pessimistic outlook as they haven't produced one yet in eight years.

“There may not be a starting pitching prospect in the system who projects as more than a No. 5 starter, and without last year’s draft class there’s only one position player prospect who projects as a regular.”

“Prior to the start of the season” says it all. I can promise Law doesn’t still think so. We’ve had a few guys who’ve shown lights out stuff in our farm system, I’ve named them multiple times in here, I will assume you just refuse to think they have a future, so not worth repeating

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
The only way I see the Cubs potentially getting back to contention, involves Russell getting back on track to where people were projecting him to develop after 2016. A great defensive SS (and the Cubs best defensive lineup is him at SS and Baez at 2B), who has close to 30 HR power and a decent OBP.

Sad, but I agree

Kaplan had a meltdown similar to you last night and pointed out this team doesn’t have a second baseman, leadoff, or CF. While I disagree we don’t have a leadoff or CF (Heyward has been fine) we don’t have a second baseman. Happ is our best bat option but that’s risking the glove

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
“Prior to the start of the season” says it all. I can promise Law doesn’t still think so. We’ve had a few guys who’ve shown lights out stuff in our farm system, I’ve named them multiple times in here, I will assume you just refuse to think they have a future, so not worth repeating

Marquez and who else? No one who actually evaluates minor leaguers shares your opinion that the Cubs have multiple lights out arms in their system.

• Funny
Reactions: CyPunch

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Sad, but I agree

Kaplan had a meltdown similar to you last night and pointed out this team doesn’t have a second baseman, leadoff, or CF. While I disagree we don’t have a leadoff or CF (Heyward has been fine) we don’t have a second baseman. Happ is our best bat option but that’s risking the glove

I didn’t meltdown at all last night. Last night didn’t change anything for me, I feel the same way this morning as I did a month ago. You’ll come around to where I’m at at some point.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Marquez and who else? No one who actually evaluates minor leaguers shares your opinion that the Cubs have multiple lights out arms in their system.

So you agree with Marquez (actually backtracking when you said we have nothing better than a 5th starter)

MLB says Alzolay could settle as a middle of the rotation guy.

Cubs foresee Jansen as a middle of the rotation guy.

Justin Steele is also a projected mid-rotation starter, though his stats aren’t great this year.

Riley Thompson was projected to move to relief but has dominated in South Bend so remains a starter.

Kohl Franklin has dominated in his 8 starts in Eugene

Cory Abbott has been dominating in Tennessee, go ahead and just look at his stats. He’s projected to be a back of the rotation guy.

Yovanny Cruz and Richard Gallardo are 19 and 17, respectively, and have higher ceilings than most of the guys listed above.

No, I don’t expect all of these guys to pan out. I also am not a pessimistic human who seems to see the worst in everything, so I certainly hope that a couple of these guys own out, and 100% dispute you’re extremely outrageous statement that the best we have is a 5th starter.

But please, post again how all these guys are going to implode and be terrible.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
So you agree with Marquez (actually backtracking when you said we have nothing better than a 5th starter)

MLB says Alzolay could settle as a middle of the rotation guy.

Cubs foresee Jansen as a middle of the rotation guy.

Justin Steele is also a projected mid-rotation starter, though his stats aren’t great this year.

Riley Thompson was projected to move to relief but has dominated in South Bend so remains a starter.

Kohl Franklin has dominated in his 8 starts in Eugene

Cory Abbott has been dominating in Tennessee, go ahead and just look at his stats. He’s projected to be a back of the rotation guy.

Yovanny Cruz and Richard Gallardo are 19 and 17, respectively, and have higher ceilings than most of the guys listed above.

No, I don’t expect all of these guys to pan out. I also am not a pessimistic human who seems to see the worst in everything, so I certainly hope that a couple of these guys own out, and 100% dispute you’re extremely outrageous statement that the best we have is a 5th starter.

But please, post again how all these guys are going to implode and be terrible.

No I don’t agree on Marquez, I don’t see him as anything more than a back end guy. I just knew you were going to say him.

After seeing that list, I’m still very confident in what I said. And I’m not pessimistic, just realistic. I was extremely high on the Cubs prospects in the 2014 timeframe, I was saying how the Cubs were going to be good much sooner than people expected because it was the truth. You could see what was coming in the minors. And I can see what’s coming in the minors now, and it’s not good.

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Until anyone gets to the big leagues and performs I am pretty snake bitten from all the years of disappointment from the next big thing being hyped up that supposedly is coming up through the farm system to get my hopes up on anyone. And right now most of the guys you are talking about are not near close enough to contribute in the big leagues for a couple years probably which doesn't solve the problem about how does the front office maximize the window they have with their core group of players currently in or coming into their prime years? Will have to be smart with free agent money and signings and creative with trades that don't gut the farm system in the process.

• Agree
Reactions: Carlisle Clone

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

Awfully early to say that about Darvish, especially given how he's performed the last couple months.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked