MLB: ***Official 2019-20 Cubs Offseason***

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I think we have the best overall lineup right now in our division. 3rd best pitching rotation because of depth.

It will obviously be embarrassing if the FO doesn’t make a move this offseason, as it would show failures in back to back offseasons, but I don’t think it’s a situation where we have to make a ton of moves to make noise.

Additionally, I think the haul for Bryant would be better in July if we suck then it would in January if we just get a few prospects.

Right now based on the makeup of this roster and the results of the last 2 seasons I don't see this team finishing any better than 3rd in the division and missing the playoffs once again and if that is the case they should be making some moves right now if their intent is to compete this season. Still have done nothing with the bullpen which was a sore spot last year and only guys under contract are Kimbrel who struggled last year and a bunch of unproven guys or cheap reclamation type guys. I am still not sold that the makeup of the offense is going to be any more productive given the core of this team are who are either entering or currently in their prime right now and haven't seen a huge step forward in offensive production and actually probably more regression and inconsistency unfortunately. Maybe Ross gets more out of this lineup than Joe did last year but right now I just don't see it happening without changing the makeup of this team some. Too many free swingers that are all or nothing guys and strike out a lot or don't come up clutch when it matters.

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Avoid arbitration with Bryant on an $18.6M deal for this year.

I'm so torn with Bryant. I know you're most likely not going to get a long term deal done and you want to maximize return but at the same time where else are you getting that much production for $18.6....

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Here's the thing, does this roster as it stands now really any improvement over the last 2-3 seasons? I get it they still could make some signings and trades but seems like we're intent to trot out the same team as last year minus some parts
C: Contreras
1B: Rizzo
2B: ? Guessing Happ/Bote/Descalso/Garcia platoon? *edit: Hoerner in the mix here too, could start in AAA though maybe?
SS: Baez
3B: Bryant
LF: Schwarber
CF: Almora
RF: Heyward

Bench:
Caratini
Kemp
*remaining guys from the 2B platoon and some cheap FA signings or AAA guys?

Rotation:
Darvish (yes I think he is the current #1 now after posting a 2.78 post all-star break)
Hendricks
Lester
Quintana
Chatwood? Maybe Alzolay if he is healthy and shows something in spring training?

Bullpen:
Kimbrel
Wick
Ryan
Mills
Norwood
Cotton
Tepera
Wieck?
Maples?​

Yikes it looks even more gloomy when I had to go down the roster and try to figure out who actually is still left. I listed 28 guys there but 2 won't make opening day with a 26 man roster now. Some of those relievers probably should be down in Iowa not in the big leagues

Last edited:

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Here's the thing, does this roster as it stands now really any improvement over the last 2-3 seasons? I get it they still could make some signings and trades but seems like we're intent to trot out the same team as last year minus some parts
C: Contreras
1B: Rizzo
2B: ? Guessing Happ/Bote/Descalso/Garcia platoon? *edit: Hoerner in the mix here too, could start in AAA though maybe?
SS: Baez
3B: Bryant
LF: Schwarber
CF: Almora
RF: Heyward

Bench:
Caratini
Kemp
*remaining guys from the 2B platoon and some cheap FA signings or AAA guys?

Rotation:
Darvish (yes I think he is the current #1 now after posting a 2.78 post all-star break)
Hendricks
Lester
Quintana
Chatwood? Maybe Alzolay if he is healthy and shows something in spring training?

Bullpen:
Kimbrel
Wick
Ryan
Mills
Norwood
Cotton
Tepera
Wieck?
Maples?​

Yikes it looks even more gloomy when I had to go down the roster and try to figure out who actually is still left. I listed 28 guys there but 2 won't make opening day with a 26 man roster now. Some of those relievers probably should be down in Iowa not in the big leagues

It’s a wild card at best team, and they probably need some good luck to get there. And unfortunately it may get worse from there before they get back to being a title contender.

• Winner
Reactions: Hoggins

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Can't trade Bryant til you know the result of his grievance. No team will trade for him unless the Cubs are willing to get value for only one assured year.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Reports coming out Cubs are looking to trade for Arenado and move KB to CF.

My guess is Heyward would be involved in the Arenado trade, which would then open up the Cubs ability to sign Castellanos and throw him in right, still allowing the albeit horrible Almora to remain as the 4th outfielder.

• Dislike
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Additionally, I do not believe the Cubs are going to have to break the bank for Arenado. I'd be shocked if we traded more than one top prospect with Contreras and Heyward. Rockies handcuffed themselves with their deal to Arenado. They have pretty solid youth that they'd likely have to let walk because of Arenado's contract.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Reports coming out Cubs are looking to trade for Arenado and move KB to CF.

My guess is Heyward would be involved in the Arenado trade, which would then open up the Cubs ability to sign Castellanos and throw him in right, still allowing the albeit horrible Almora to remain as the 4th outfielder.

Happ might be the 4th OF. That's a lot of home runs out there.
Arenado, Baez, Rizzo and anyone make a great infield.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Remember when you thought the Cubs would be big spenders this off season?

Yup - $60 million off the books and I didn’t account for going under the luxury tax or arbitration salaries. You may have forgotten, but credible reports surfaced in July last season that the Cubs would be targeting Rendon or Cole this offseason, giving reason to believe the Cubs would have the money to spend.

Mistakes happen, not sure if the quote you posted (which had nothing to do with money) was just you trying to be annoying, or simply look like you’re intelligent

Last edited:

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Cubs Convention this weekend. Ricketts supposedly got booed.

Some info on Cubs new tv network that launches Feb. 22:

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Not really Cubs related, but kind of is...I saw the Astros are interviewing Dusty Baker. Anyone suppose Dusty has it in him the destroy all of those arms in 1 season? I think he can.

• Optimistic
Reactions: VeloClone

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Cole Wright (currently with NFL Network) new Pre & Post-game host.

Taylor McGregor (use to work with Rockies) new Sideline host.

Also:

Reactions: CycloneErik