***Official 2018 New York Yankees Thread***

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
Maybe I should start a new thread on this, but how did you become a Yankees fan?

For me, being a little kid in Des Moines in the early 1970's, I was a Cincinnati Reds fan. Big Red Machine and all. I guess I still am a fan of that team...

My first year of playing baseball was in the Raccoon Valley Little League, and I played shortstop. My Dad took me to an Iowa Oaks (Now Iowa Cubs) game to watch their young shortstop - one Bucky Dent.

A few years later the Yankees were swept by Cincinnati in the World Series, but I sat there and watched all that footage of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Micky Mantle, etc., and I was hooked.

Last edited:

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
They need to just cut Betances and end the misery. This is ridiculous. He's done as a major league reliever because he is just broken mentally. Eat the $5M or trade him for a bag of peanuts and call up German.
They should have traded him to the Cubs 2 years ago like I said. We’re not getting anything now for him.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Maybe I should start a new thread on this, but how did you become a Yankees fan?

For me, being a little kid in Des Moines in the early 1970's, I was a Cincinnati Reds fan. Big Red Machine and all. I guess I still am a fan of that team...

My first year of playing baseball was in the Raccoon Valley Little League, and I played shortstop. My Dad took me to an Iowa Oaks (Now Iowa Cubs) game to watch their young shortstop - one Bucky Dent.

A few years later the Yankees were swept by Cincinnati in the World Series, but I sat there at watched all that footage of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Micky Mantle, etc., and I was hooked.
1. Parents
2. Game at the Dome in probably 95 or 96? Waited for Radke/Monitor/Knoblauch/etc. to sign autographs but they skipped over our section. Bernie Williams, Derek Jeter, and Mariano Rivera came over and signed them. I'm guessing my parents still have the Bernie ball somewhere.

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
1. Parents
2. Game at the Dome in probably 95 or 96? Waited for Radke/Monitor/Knoblauch/etc. to sign autographs but they skipped over our section. Bernie Williams, Derek Jeter, and Mariano Rivera came over and signed them. I'm guessing my parents still have the Bernie ball somewhere.

My dad was stationed in New York out of high school and became a fan of the yankees. He brought that home. We would go to KC every year to watch them. I have met countless Yankees by staying aat their hotel and at the Long branch saloon. All of my sports teams were because of my dad. Don Mattingly is my favorite baseball player of all time.

Reactions: Acylum

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yankees fan from early 60's. Yeah I'm old.

I have a Cub Scout scrapbook filled with Mickey Mantle newspaper clippings. I am almost over that game seven loss to Bob Gibson in 1964. Almost.

I remember the 1961 season and the race between Mantle and Maris to beat Ruth. Being a Mantle guy I was rooting for Mickey.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Interesting game 4 matchup, Toronto's ace Stroman versus Gray. Odd seeing an ace in the 4th game but he was behind in spring training pitches.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Interesting game 4 matchup, Toronto's ace Stroman versus Gray. Odd seeing an ace in the 4th game but he was behind in spring training pitches.
I can't hate Stroman. I think he'll be a Yankee next season.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Drury is a pretty good player also.

Diamondbacks should stop trading with the Yankees. Didi now Drury.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Hadn't really noticed this before but the Blue Jays Rogers Centre has a HUGE foul territory behind the plate and down the two lines. Bows way out in front of each dugout.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Drury is a pretty good player also.

Diamondbacks should stop trading with the Yankees. Didi now Drury.

Not sure they can catch lightning in a bottle twice but Didi has turned into a legit star. If Drury did also then they would likely never deal with em again.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The bullpen was hot garbage Saturday and Sunday but not hot enough to melt the snow in NY. Todays game postponed.

merlin_136299624_d08a69a6-e49d-4160-ae3c-906f9f1e5bb0-superJumbo.jpg

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Holder is today's Hot Garbage Man out of the bullpen for the Yanks. Woof, gives up four straight hits and loads the bases for Kahnle to try and bail him out.

Holder's ERA is up to 40.50. Kahnle is at 6.75. Nice start for the season. o_O

Last edited:

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
bullpen has been ass so far this year. Boone isn't helping with weird decision making.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
bullpen has been ass so far this year. Boone isn't helping with weird decision making.

And not hitting other than Didi. Gardner, Stanton, Judge and Sanchez are hitting a collective .200 +/- a few points.

Help Support Us

Become a patron