MLB: ***Official 2017 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
So pretty much you don't like fun. I feel like I've read all of what you're saying in book called "The Cardinal Way".

Winning is fun. I don't dislike the "Patriot Way" either. If I want to be entertained I'll watch wrestling (I don't).

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Winning is fun. I don't dislike the "Patriot Way" either. If I want to be entertained I'll watch wrestling (I don't).
I don't think it's about entertaining the fans, it's more about the players having fun and creating a laid back, fun environment in the clubhouse. Joe's been great at doing this as the Cubs manager.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
No identity for the Cubs this year. A few things I attribute that to:

- no veteran leader(s): last year there was David Ross, at the very least. Probably could put Dexter Fowler in that category as well. Rizzo may be close to that kind of guy, I don't think he's there yet, and while he has talent, I don't think anyone is going to confuse a guy like Lester as a leader

- no leadoff hitter: started the season with Schwarber there, and it was a disaster from the start. Fowler was sorely missed

- pitching: good? Pretty solid? Sure, but not a single pitcher on the roster was dominant this season. How many first inning runs did the starters give up? Now, most times, that was limited to 1-2 runs, but they seemed to always be playing uphill

- hitting: wow. What a regression from last season. They had a pretty damn good second half, but I've felt all year the approach was piss poor. Seemed everyone, from the top to the bottom, was only interested in hitting home runs for the most part. Last season, the lineup wore pitchers out. Deep counts, battling. Not so this season. And what's wrong with going to the opposite field? The Dodgers seems to be able to employ a shift on virtually every hitter. Hitting is hard enough, and when you only leave yourself half a field, it's exponentially more difficult

- the defense wasn't even really good this year. Spectacular plays every once in a while, sure, but far from solid overall

In short, this club needs, among probably other things:

- a leadoff hitter
- the patient approach to return
- basehits
- playing within themselves
- multiple, consistent arms

3 of the 5 above don't require adding anyone new to the roster.

What are you talking about? The Cubs led the NL in OBP, runs scored (scored even more this year than last year), were second in OPS, had a team OPS over .800 in the second half of the year. Their starting pitching and defense was what regressed hard. The bats just went really cold at a really bad time.

• Agree
Reactions: HoustonClone

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Talent does not equate to leadership. And by the way, I'm so appreciative of fellow Cyclone fans turned Dodger apologists in a Cubs thread. That is awesome

I've been a Dodger fan my whole life. Not some bandwagon cub fan who thinks he knows **** about baseball because his team became semi-relevant for one season.

Enjoy the offseason and another 100 years of irrelevance Mr. Knowitall.

• Winner
Reactions: CRcyclone6

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
What are you talking about? The Cubs led the NL in OBP, runs scored (scored even more this year than last year), were second in OPS, had a team OPS over .800 in the second half of the year. Their starting pitching and defense was what regressed hard. The bats just went really cold at a really bad time.

I mentioned they had a really good second half.

I think I also alluded to the team having a ton of talent, in that I think it's going to take just a small few additional pieces next season. The team made the NLCS, and that's not lost on me.

I don't think you can seriously argue against the need for a leadoff hitter, or the abysmal start to the season, can you?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

I think I also alluded to the team having a ton of talent, in that I think it's going to take just a small few additional pieces next season. The team made the NLCS, and that's not lost on me.

I don't think you can seriously argue against the need for a leadoff hitter, or the abysmal start to the season, can you?

The start of the season is just young guys hung over from the World Series. I wouldn't make adjustments off of that.

A lot comes down to whether Almora can be the leadoff guy. With his contact, that's really possible.

Add a couple starters and a couple bullpen guys for sure.
Zobrist certainly has to be a bench utility guy. Heyward is a mystery to me in terms of solutions yet.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

I'm arguing the hitting didn't regress like you said, it didn't.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I'm arguing the hitting didn't regress like you said, it didn't.

Maybe I should clarify.

Team rank out of 30 (per game):

- Left on: 26th
- Runners left in scoring position: 25th
- Strikouts: 24th
- Hits: 21st
- Double plays: 20th

Those are bad offensive stats.

Some "good" ones:

- Walks: 3rd
- OB%: 8th (4th in the NL, not 1st. Behind Colorado, LAD, St Louis)
- OBS: 9th
- Home runs: 13th

While there are good stats, offensively, timing was an issue, and that's what I meant.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Maybe I should clarify.

Team rank out of 30 (per game):

- Left on: 26th
- Runners left in scoring position: 25th
- Strikouts: 24th
- Hits: 21st
- Double plays: 20th

Those are bad offensive stats.

Some "good" ones:

- Walks: 3rd
- OB%: 8th (4th in the NL, not 1st. Behind Colorado, LAD, St Louis)
- OBS: 9th
- Home runs: 13th

While there are good stats, offensively, timing was an issue, and that's what I meant.

Where are you seeing those numbers? The Cubs were tied for first in OBP with Colorado at .338. Third in OPS behind Washington and Colorado. 2nd in home runs, one behind the league leaders with 223. 2nd in walks behind only LA.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/seasontype/2/league/nl

I'm guessing those are league stats, which isn't a fair comparison since AL teams have an extra hitter in the lineup.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
You actually want to be ranked lower in that category, the bottom five in that category are Cleveland, Yankees, Minnesota, Dodgers and D'Backs. The Royals are number one, you gotta get guys in scoring position to leave them there.

Ok...well...they were 29th with RiSP last year, so they regressed :D

Hitting was not timely this year. Looks at Bryant as one example.

Batting average, OBP and OBS were all better this year than last year (MVP), yet he had 73 RBI (102 last year). Hits, HRs and Runs were also down this season.

Just looking at KB, it's evident that his hitting, along with those around him, was not timely.

• Agree
Reactions: CyJack13

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Ok...well...they were 29th with RiSP last year, so they regressed :D

Hitting was not timely this year. Looks at Bryant as one example.

Batting average, OBP and OBS were all better this year than last year (MVP), yet he had 73 RBI (102 last year). Hits, HRs and Runs were also down this season.

Just looking at KB, it's evident that his hitting, along with those around him, was not timely.

Bryant was terrible with RISP, I will agree with that. But there has to be a somewhat fluky element to that. Overall though the offense was every bit as good as last year and they did not regress on that side. It was mostly the pitching and defense that was way down from the previous year.

As bad as the offense was in the postseason, I think the Cubs still have a great lineup with only the same guys next year. And so many of them are still 25 or under and only going to get better. I think Happ can be another middle of the order bat, Schwarber was very good after he came back from Iowa. Russell is the one guy who you can make the argument that he regressed but he had off the field issues and injuries he was dealing with.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
I've been a Dodger fan my whole life. Not some bandwagon cub fan who thinks he knows **** about baseball because his team became semi-relevant for one season.

Enjoy the offseason and another 100 years of irrelevance Mr. Knowitall.

I'm sorry if I offended you, ribsnwhiskey. Truly....had made an assumption that the posts were coming from Cubs fans, as it was a Cubs thread. I do respect cheering for a team all of one's life, as I have cheered for the Cubs (and Cyclones) in the same way.

I will have to clarify one thing, however. Winning a World Series, and making the NLCS for three years straight is a bit beyond "semi-relevant", yes?

Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Bryant was terrible with RISP, I will agree with that. But there has to be a somewhat fluky element to that. Overall though the offense was every bit as good as last year and they did not regress on that side. It was mostly the pitching and defense that was way down from the previous year.

As bad as the offense was in the postseason, I think the Cubs still have a great lineup with only the same guys next year. And so many of them are still 25 or under and only going to get better. I think Happ can be another middle of the order bat, Schwarber was very good after he came back from Iowa. Russell is the one guy who you can make the argument that he regressed but he had off the field issues and injuries he was dealing with.

The idea of Happ in RF sounds pretty solid.
If Heyward could just learn not to ground out to 2nd whenever someone is on base, his offensive game would improve drastically, and then he could be a strong RF option.

But Happ, Almora, and Schwarber out there would do pretty well.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
The idea of Happ in RF sounds pretty solid.
If Heyward could just learn not to ground out to 2nd whenever someone is on base, his offensive game would improve drastically, and then he could be a strong RF option.

But Happ, Almora, and Schwarber out there would do pretty well.

If there's someone on third with less than two outs, where he could drive in a run with a ground out, he's pretty good about only striking out or popping up in those situations.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I'm sorry if I offended you, ribsnwhiskey. Truly....had made an assumption that the posts were coming from Cubs fans, as it was a Cubs thread. I do respect cheering for a team all of one's life, as I have cheered for the Cubs (and Cyclones) in the same way.

I will have to clarify one thing, however. Winning a World Series, and making the NLCS for three years straight is a bit beyond "semi-relevant", yes?

We're good. Sorry for jumping on you also. You guys got us last year and I'm just happy we were able to turn the tables this year. Cubs are plenty relevant in today's MLB, you didn't need my smart ass to tell you that. At least we're both Cyclones!

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
We're good. Sorry for jumping on you also. You guys got us last year and I'm just happy we were able to turn the tables this year. Cubs are plenty relevant in today's MLB, you didn't need my smart ass to tell you that. At least we're both Cyclones!

Pretty sure we're going to see this Cubs-Dodgers series a few more times yet.

• Agree

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron