NFL: ***Official 2016 Fantasy Football Thread***

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I will say fantasy football isn't as bad at changing the way you watch/cheer football as straight up betting on games. At least for me. Very glad to have mostly given that up. Of course, living in a van down by the river as a result kind of blows.

The whole van by the river thing probably has more to do with that degree from Iowa than betting on games

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The whole van by the river thing probably has more to do with that degree from Iowa than betting on games

You think he is an Iowa fan who actually has a degree from Iowa?

6a2ba98c0d252e2b362edd151765b98ca7ade530_hq.gif

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I have my draft tomorrow, 12 team, no PPR.

With the 5th pick, assuming first 4 picks are Brown, Beckham, AP (vikings fan has 3rd pick), & Gurley who would you take?

Johnson or Julio? I usually go RB early round 1, but still undecided.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
My draft starts in 30 minutes. Unless there's a curve ball in the nine picks ahead of me I'm going Bell and Gronk, then try to snag Brady in a later round. My league usually snags QBs early so I'm hoping I can get him in the sixth or seventh round. September might be a little ugly but if I can avoid going oh-fer then I'll have plenty of time to catch up.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I have my draft tomorrow, 12 team, no PPR.

With the 5th pick, assuming first 4 picks are Brown, Beckham, AP (vikings fan has 3rd pick), & Gurley who would you take?

Johnson or Julio? I usually go RB early round 1, but still undecided.

Do you have inside dope on AP going that early? I haven't seen him go that high. If any two RBs are taken ahead of you I'd bet it'll be Gurley and Johnson. Either way, I also have the 5 pick in my 12 man PPR, will likely go RB just because I always do and it usually works out. If I can get an every down stud RB, there aren't that many of them. Then I usually go WR on the way back down, and then either an RB2 or a WR2 on the way back up depending on the better value. Will be interested to see how yours goes.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Do you have inside dope on AP going that early? I haven't seen him go that high. If any two RBs are taken ahead of you I'd bet it'll be Gurley and Johnson. Either way, I also have the 5 pick in my 12 man PPR, will likely go RB just because I always do and it usually works out. If I can get an every down stud RB, there aren't that many of them. Then I usually go WR on the way back down, and then either an RB2 or a WR2 on the way back up depending on the better value. Will be interested to see how yours goes.

Yeah, the guy who had 3rd pick is a huge Vikings fan and he did end up going Peterson. Other picks before me were Brown, Gurley & Julio. I passed on OBJ & ended up with this team (reminder, 12 team league with no PPR):

QB: Bortles / Taylor
RB: David Johnson
RB: Ingram
WR: Evans
WR: Tate
FLEX: Ryan Mathews
TE: Fleener
D: Rams
K: Crosby

Fitzgerald
D. Parker
C. Sims
C. Coleman
Buck Allen

I'll probably be dropping Allen for either another TE, Hightower to handcuff Ingram, or maybe James White now that Lewis is down.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Yeah, the guy who had 3rd pick is a huge Vikings fan and he did end up going Peterson. Other picks before me were Brown, Gurley & Julio. I passed on OBJ & ended up with this team (reminder, 12 team league with no PPR):

QB: Bortles / Taylor
RB: David Johnson
RB: Ingram
WR: Evans
WR: Tate
FLEX: Ryan Mathews
TE: Fleener
D: Rams
K: Crosby

Fitzgerald
D. Parker
C. Sims
C. Coleman
Buck Allen

I'll probably be dropping Allen for either another TE, Hightower to handcuff Ingram, or maybe James White now that Lewis is down.

I really like that team, WR isnt strong, but you have some players with high ceilings.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Is it worth it for me to keep AJ Green and lose my first round pick? I'm really on the fence about it.

I wouldn't. I had Green last year. It's the only year I've had him but his impressive numbers are a little misleading because a few weeks he absolutely went off and others he didn't do much at all. So it wasn't like a week in week out thing where I could rely on him pulling big numbers. Much of that blame falls on Dalton. If it were me I'd cut him loose and find someone else for my #1 pick.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I really like that team, WR isnt strong, but you have some players with high ceilings.

Yeah, receiver is obviously my weak spot but like you said, a few of mine COULD have big years. I think Fleener will have a good year in New Orleans, got him in the 7th. I got Bortles in the 9th, Taylor in the 12th.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Just had our draft. 14 team league. I had the number 3 pick.

QB: Derek Carr, Matt Ryan
RB: Todd Gurley, Thomas Rawls, Matt Jones, Christine Michael
WR: Alshon Jeffery, Golden Tate, Michael Crabtree, Steffon Diggs
TE: Travis Kelce. Martellus Bennett
D: Vikings
K: Dan Bailey

I feel pretty good about it.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Just had our draft. 14 team league. I had the number 3 pick.

QB: Derek Carr, Matt Ryan
RB: Todd Gurley, Thomas Rawls, Matt Jones, Christine Michael
WR: Alshon Jeffery, Golden Tate, Michael Crabtree, Steffon Diggs
TE: Travis Kelce. Martellus Bennett
D: Vikings
K: Dan Bailey

I feel pretty good about it.

That was a 14-team draft? You cleaned up. A little thin at RB but you landed a top-3 RB1, two top-15 WRs, and a top-3 TE. Looks like you waited on QB which is the smart move. Nice work.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
That was a 14-team draft? You cleaned up. A little thin at RB but you landed a top-3 RB1, two top-15 WRs, and a top-3 TE. Looks like you waited on QB which is the smart move. Nice work.

yeah, 14 team league. I was a little worried about getting a decent team, because we've always been a 12 team league in the past, but I was pleasantly surprised at what I was able to get. Matt Ryan was available in the last round, which I thought was a good value for a serviceable backup QB, who I'd feel fine starting on a bye week or in a pinch if my starter got hurt.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Had my draft on Saturday morning. 16 rounds, ten team league, PPR scoring, and I was picking last in the first round in a snake order. I reached on a couple guys but overall I feel pretty good about it(round selected in parentheses).
QB - Brady (8), Rivers (10)
RB - Bell (2), Lacy (3), Stewart (6), D. Williams (11), Deandre Washington (16)
WR - Watkins (4), Moncrief in a big reach (5), K Benjamin (7), L Fitzgerald (9), K White (12), T Benjamin (15)
TE - Gronk (1), Martellus Bennett (13), D Allen (14)
Def - Empty
K - Empty

I'll stream defense and kickers all season so between now and the start of the season I'll have to dump a couple of the late round fliers; probably Travis Benjamin and Deandre Washington. I don't know what I was thinking when I went Moncrief in the fifth, but maybe this is his breakout year. September could be a little lean with Brady and Bell both suspended, but I decided it was worth it if I can just tread water until they come back. I'd also like to note that this is the first year where my fandom didn't prevent me from drafting players from teams I can't stand. With Brady, Gronk, AND Rivers all on the same roster I've drafted the ultimate team of douchebags.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Had my draft on Saturday morning. 16 rounds, ten team league, PPR scoring, and I was picking last in the first round in a snake order. I reached on a couple guys but overall I feel pretty good about it(round selected in parentheses).
WR - Watkins (4), Moncrief in a big reach (5), K Benjamin (7), L Fitzgerald (9), K White (12), T Benjamin (15)
Def - Empty
K - Empty

I'll stream defense and kickers all season so between now and the start of the season I'll have to dump a couple of the late round fliers; probably Travis Benjamin and Deandre Washington. I don't know what I was thinking when I went Moncrief in the fifth, but maybe this is his breakout year. September could be a little lean with Brady and Bell both suspended, but I decided it was worth it if I can just tread water until they come back. I'd also like to note that this is the first year where my fandom didn't prevent me from drafting players from teams I can't stand. With Brady, Gronk, AND Rivers all on the same roster I've drafted the ultimate team of douchebags.

WR is your sore spot, but that's pretty decent otherwise. Rivers will get you by until Brady gets back. Same goes for Deangelo Williams. Stewart will be a good #3 RB. I've seen other people try to get Gronk and Bennett on the same team. I'm not sure if I agree with that. You're never going to start Bennett over Gronk, and they have the same bye week, so he's there only in case of injury. Then again, you have a lot of bench spots on your team, so maybe you've got room to sock him away.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Def - Empty
K - Empty

Not a bad team. A lot of good to great starters, but not great depth. You have a few players with a lot of potential which you could use in a trade to fill holes.

Curious as to why you drafted 3 TEs though

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Not a bad team. A lot of good to great starters, but not great depth. You have a few players with a lot of potential which you could use in a trade to fill holes.

Curious as to why you drafted 3 TEs though

Allen was the highest rated player left on the board, and I was picking a couple slots in front of a big Colts fan. I'm hoping I can get a few good games out of him early and flip him while his value is high.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
WR is your sore spot, but that's pretty decent otherwise. Rivers will get you by until Brady gets back. Same goes for Deangelo Williams. Stewart will be a good #3 RB. I've seen other people try to get Gronk and Bennett on the same team. I'm not sure if I agree with that. You're never going to start Bennett over Gronk, and they have the same bye week, so he's there only in case of injury. Then again, you have a lot of bench spots on your team, so maybe you've got room to sock him away.

Bennett is just a handcuff in case of a Gronk injury. TE is such a heavily used position for the Pats that either guy can put up good numbers. There might be weeks where I use them both but I definitely don't expect that scenario to present itself very often.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
10 team PPR snake and I have the 8th pick. Leaning towards taking David Johnson first but struggling with what I'll do if he's gone before I get the chance. Torn between Devonta Freeman and Lamar Miller but also think I'd be dumb not to take Deandre Hopkins if I can get him. I could go on all day about all the possible scenarios and what I may or may not do but I don't want to bore everybody to death so I'll keep it simple.

Freeman or Miller? AJ Green or Brandon Marshall? Carlos Hyde or CJ Anderson? Duke Johnson or Frank Gore? Michael Crabtree or Marvin Jones?