*** Official #20 BYU vs #6 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Gutsy win by ISU, but I think at BYU had a great gameplan of what we like to do. They knew we would want to come out and limit their 3 point shots, so they used that to drive to the hoop, getting us in foul trouble and causing us to back off and then they started to hit their shots. I love the play of their bigs, great passers, that can step out and hit the three if you back off them.

Great way to finish out the home schedule, this win assures us at least 2nd place in the conference with a chance to get part of title.
I was curious why Khalifa didn't play more at crunch time late in the 2nd half. Did BYU 'over-coach' & not have him out there for some reason? He was a huge problem the first 3/4 of the game, especially with his passing. Or if he was in foul trouble, which I've no clue

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
You know, I remember after the 3rd game of the season when a certain poster who is no longer here was saying that Curtis Jones should never take a three point shot that wasn't right at the line and wide open...

I, for one, am glad that he's kept taking threes well beyond the line when his defender goes under the screen, because we definitely don't win tonight without him taking and making those shots (which also helped the driving lanes open up for him and others later).

CuJo is so legit. He's a threat from three, can drive the ball and hit floaters with more consistency than anyone else on our team, and plays tenacious D.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You know, I remember after the 3rd game of the season when a certain poster who is no longer here was saying that Curtis Jones should never take a three point shot that wasn't right at the line and wide open...

I, for one, am glad that he's kept taking threes well beyond the line when his defender goes under the screen, because we definitely don't win tonight without him taking and making those shots (which also helped the driving lanes open up for him and others later).

ZRF?

Iirc Cinciclone hated him too.

Sometimes a season (or game) just has to play out I guess.

cal-cyclone

Dec 8, 2022
Ok, we were down 12 or 14 and I was really starting to question if we were going to be able to make a run, that was so dumb of me. Our guys are so freaking tough mentally. The whole game seemed to change when Lipsey ran down that steal literally the length of the court and kept at it and eventually got the steal as he is falling out of bounds. That is our team in a nutshell. Never give up, never die, no matter what. One of the best games ever as a Cyclone fan. Congrats fellas 18-0 at home!!!!!

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Said it earlier but imo they're quick and the losses to OSU, Cinci etc. are baffling.
The Cincy loss was around the same time they played ISU the first time, and they were dealing with some injuries. They played out of their minds against ISU, but struggled in some others minus some rotation players.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
We shall see what happens at K State, but can we all take a moment to appreciate what this team has done after the loss at Houston? We said we needed to win out from there and perhaps we can get a share of the title. Well, we’ve set ourselves up to do that, which is pretty cool no matter what happens.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Agree with everyone here on the dangerous nature of BYU in March tournaments.

But I wouldn't want to play ISU in the tournament either to be fair.

We get critical of our guys at moments, but man...no questioning the grit and how much they can frustrate even the highest levels of potent teams.

Teams with 3 skilled athletic guards can dominate in March. Its why Houston should’ve been #1 months ago.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
We shall see what happens at K State, but can we all take a moment to appreciate what this team has done after the loss at Houston? We said we needed to win out from there and perhaps we can get a share of the title. Well, we’ve set ourselves up to do that, which is pretty cool no matter what happens.
Hardest part of contending is taking care of business in the run of the mill games, and it takes a special group to overcome that.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I was curious why Khalifa didn't play more at crunch time late in the 2nd half. Did BYU 'over-coach' & not have him out there for some reason? He was a huge problem the first 3/4 of the game, especially with his passing. Or if he was in foul trouble, which I've no clue
I thought the same thing. One observation I had was that we were able to get him mismatched on a guard and that’s when we were getting downhill. He was absolutely carving us up on offense though!