*** Official #18 Texas Tech vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Babb was a solid player and could have been a great option off the bench. I just think if this team wanted to reach its fullest potential, Haliburton, Wigginton, Shayok and THT should have been starting and getting a majority of the minutes. They were our 4 most talented guys and your 4 most talented guys should be your starters and leaders in minutes.

I don't agree with your analysis of Weiler-Babb, but that's your opinion.

You are wrong that the 4 most talented should be starters. Not always. And in the case of that team, theywere playing well when LW returned from injury. Prohm made the decision not to disrupt that and Wigginton ended up being Big 12 6th man of the year.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
I don't agree with your analysis of Weiler-Babb, but that's your opinion.

You are wrong that the 4 most talented should be starters. Not always. And in the case of that team, theywere playing well when LW returned from injury. Prohm made the decision not to disrupt that and Wigginton ended up being Big 12 6th man of the year.
There was a lot of talk about how that team played better without Wigginton but that was 100% schedule based.. without Wigginton, ISU played, Missouri (15-17), Illinois (12-21), Texas Southern, Arizona (lost. 17-15), Drake, Nebraska-Omaha, North Dakota State, Iowa (lost by 14) and Southern. The best win without Wigginton was San Diego State who was 21-13. Obviously the team is going to struggle a little more in conference play and that’s basically when Wigginton returned. Babb was a steady player who had some good games but he slowed it down too much and was a very overrated defender. If he didn’t have the name Babb I don’t think people would say he was a great defender. I don’t think it’s a secret when ISU looked their most dangerous, it was usually because Wigginton, THT, Shayok, Haliburton and Lard played the most.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The reason csp will always struggle with Chris Beard's teams is that they can Play Great Defense and Rebound like Demons....

Like I said before...None of our players, could ever play for Larry E... Because None can REBOUND OR PLAY DEFENSE!

That is the most disappointing thing about ISU basketballs decline over the last 4 years. Defense, rebounding and toughness have been glaringly lacking and the staff has not been able to implement change. Prohm talks about it post game, but we don't see change.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
ESPN News has Chizik as one of four coaches providing commentary.
Kinda cool how they review repeat replays to break down the O & D strategy

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
That is the most disappointing thing about ISU basketballs decline over the last 4 years. Defense, rebounding and toughness have been glaringly lacking and the staff has not been able to implement change. Prohm talks about it post game, but we don't see change.

and the offensive strategy isn't much either

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
and the offensive strategy isn't much either
Agreed. The offensive skills of our current players is far inferior to Morris, Long, Thomas, Niang, Burton, etc, etc. So if a coach knows his team is limited, he needs to be different. Try a different approach.

Reactions: Go2Guy

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Part of the funny part of best this/best that, with ISU athletics. We all have our life spans of interest. Wish at times could seem like forever. Me, I started watching Ken Trickey in ‘76, watching games during breaks and after halftime from taking tickets . Man, you could sit anywhere! Then eventually moving to ticket holder. Same with football.
I am getting to is many fans today may not even go as far back as Tinsley. Point is ISU have had some damn outstanding athletics, let’s appreciate them all.
Comparisons are awesome, just don’t degrade our athletes.

For those that care, pardon my English and sentence structure.

Clyde4cy

Oct 22, 2018
I think you are 100% spot on. Maybe CW doesn't consider Tinsley played in his definition of "modern era." I also believe Tinsley is the best PG to play at ISU.

Tinsley may be the best player in ISU history. We were 57-11 overall and 30-5 in the Big 12 with him in the lineup. The guy played in the NBA until he was 35 owing to his unbelievably good handle.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008

that’s why Prohm isn’t going to work here, he’s stubborn, possibly the least self reflective person I have ever seen, or if he does reflect on mistakes he’s too damn dumb to fix it

same mistakes, over and over...same problems over and over...lot of this stuff is real fundamental stuff...see the ball, off ball movement, ice ball screens, simple pick and roll assignments, zone assignments, weak side help, ball movement, mismatch recognition, out of bounds situations, time and score situations, 2 for 1, help and recover off a shooter ..basic principles of the game he really struggles to teach

there is a big personality component missing here too but at this point who really cares

nowncarolina

Oct 8, 2009
I ran across the Tech game when we beat them a couple years ago down there. The ball movement was fun to watch. It must have made Beard pissed off the way they have manhandled us since.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
that’s why Prohm isn’t going to work here, he’s stubborn, possibly the least self reflective person I have ever seen, or if he does reflect on mistakes he’s too damn dumb to fix it

same mistakes, over and over...same problems over and over...lot of this stuff is real fundamental stuff...see the ball, off ball movement, ice ball screens, simple pick and roll assignments, zone assignments, weak side help, ball movement, mismatch recognition, out of bounds situations, time and score situations, 2 for 1, help and recover off a shooter ..basic principles of the game he really struggles to teach

there is a big personality component missing here too but at this point who really cares
I watched our guys turn their backs on the ball handler vs Tech on Saturday. You usually don’t see that at collegiate level.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

It is clear he is way over his head.