*** Official #17 IOWA STATE vs #6 Oklahoma State Game(Day) Thread ***

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
If that can't be revealed here CW can shut me off 100% right now. Like every other internet/social media site I will be better off w/o it.

The top secret info has been floating on at least 2 different chat boards by lots of different posters for a week or so already.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Really, the only teams in our way are KSU and Texas. With KSU losing Thompson, I feel better about our chances. Otherwise, Texas is the only hurdle we face. Assuming we get the same performance from the team we saw in OU and TTU.

2 of 5 games have been clunkers and our best players were non-existent today. Glad we've already played OU since I don't think we do that again. Be surprised if OU or Texas drop another game. We have to play KSU and Texas and we're lacking OL and WRs.

I don't think today was a game we should have expected to win, but the next step in our development is winning those "toss-up" games and having our best players showing up in these big games.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Live in the past if you want. Doesn’t help a team win games now.

WE ARE FANS. WE DO NOT CONTROL ANYTHING. Fans having proper prospective does not change anything. Do you honestly think that the coaches are like "the fans are used to crap, so we are OK with losing"?

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Bummer that Iowa State lost today, but it does not change the Big Xii chances. I never cared about the pipe dream CFB Playoff, as that would have ended in disaster vs. Alabama, Clemson or Ohio State.

As it is, if Iowa State wins out, they will be in the Big Xii Championship Game. Oklahoma State winning out helps the Cyclones too pinning another L on every other team they play. Win the Big Xii Championship and go to the NY6!

Let's Go State! Beat the Jayhawks!

Last edited:

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I think for the past two and a half years, on the defense side, the answer is "yes".

Also over that time frame, the offense just can't do what needs to be done against teams that have good defenses for ISU to move to the top tier of the conference. Couple that with terribly inconsistent special teams, and you have a nice team that just can't break out of the second tier of the conference.

33 yd FGs have to be automatic. As others have posted, that missed FG resulted in a huge momentum swing. Yes TDs are better, but there is no shame in scoring a FG against a good defense.

We shall see how the rest of this year progresses. ISU will face a couple of good defenses ahead, and Manning will get the opportunity to show whether he can take ISU's offense to the level necessary for ISU to be a legitimate contender for conference champion.
FGs are missed from time to time. OSU missed a FG today too. ISU needs to be more concerned about not bogging down after getting into the red zone. 61 yard rumble by Hall shouldn't end in a FG attempt. Either way, tough game, ISU hung in there, lost to another good team on the road and still control their destiny to @ Arlington and the Big Xii Championship.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think for the past two and a half years, on the defense side, the answer is "yes".

Also over that time frame, the offense just can't do what needs to be done against teams that have good defenses for ISU to move to the top tier of the conference. Couple that with terribly inconsistent special teams, and you have a nice team that just can't break out of the second tier of the conference.

33 yd FGs have to be automatic. As others have posted, that missed FG resulted in a huge momentum swing. Yes TDs are better, but there is no shame in scoring a FG against a good defense.

We shall see how the rest of this year progresses. ISU will face a couple of good defenses ahead, and Manning will get the opportunity to show that he can take ISU's offense to the level necessary for ISU to be a legitimate contender for conference champion.

I think games like the Notre Dame game and a couple of others don't put me in that 'yes' spot for EVERY game.

We shall see how the rest of this year progresses. ISU will face a couple of good defenses ahead, and Manning will get the opportunity to show whether he can take ISU's offense to the level necessary for ISU to be a legitimate contender for conference champion.

This is all vey good although my comment was 'across the board' which would include all phases.

Even then the leakiness of the defense during that span still isn't quite a 'yes' for me but definitely does the most to set up for success.

Today some pressure may have helped but I'm not sure ISU has the personnel or depth to disrupt a team like that.

The expectations for a winning season are reasonable right now but some seem to be shocked that ISU lost to a program that it's beaten twice over the last decade.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
FGs are missed from time to time. OSU missed a FG today too. ISU needs to be more concerned about not bogging down after getting into the red zone. 61 yard rumble by Hall shouldn't end in a FG attempt. Either way, tough game, ISU hung in there, lost to another good team on the road and still control their destiny to @ Arlington and the Big Xii Championship.
Teams get bogged down in the red zone from time to time. OSU got bogged down at the 14 yard line and got points out of it. ISU got bogged down at the 16 yd line and got nothing. It made a huge difference in the ball game.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Bummer that Iowa State lost today, but it does not change the Big Xii chances. I never cared about the pipe dream CFB Playoff, as that would have ended in disaster vs. Alabama, Clemson or Ohio State.

You know this for certain? You would turn down the opportunity of a lifetime for fear of losing the game? Why? I just can't understand this attitude.

• Agree
Reactions: GetAwesome

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You know this for certain? You would turn down the opportunity of a lifetime for fear of losing the game? Why? I just can't understand this attitude.

Yeah no ****.

I don't think the B12 is very good (but who is?) and this season feels kind of 'lost' but even something like a B12 Title game is good PR, good step for the program, and a unique experience for the players who do the work.

Hell today's game may have been the most interesting one outside of Indiana/PSU.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
No, I would not turn down the opportunity, but I am fairly certain that would be the outcome. I've been watching College Football for a long, long time with a heavy dose of Alabama, Ohio State and National Championship games in person.

Point is that I am focused on Iowa State winning the Big Xii not on making the CFB Playoff. If they BOTH happen - GREAT, but not a major concern at this time.

I do believe that winning the Big Xii and winning the Cotton Bowl would be better for the long term health of Iowa State than winning the Big Xii and losing in the Sugar or Rose Bowl to Alabama, Ohio State or Clemson 38-0 or so.

Not a matter of being afraid, just not upset about the loss today hurting the realistic attainable goals of this year's team.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 83cy and bozclone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Teams get bogged down in the red zone from time to time. OSU got bogged down at the 14 yard line and got points out of it. ISU got bogged down at the 16 yd line and got nothing. It made a huge difference in the ball game.
I understand, and it was a bummer. I wish Iowa State would have finished drives and / or made their FGs and won the game today. Point is that no team is 100%. Even Alabama misses FGs! Iowa State played at #6 Oklahoma State, didn't play their best game and still hung in the game until the very end. If this team makes the necessary adjustments, there is no reason they cannot win out, go to Arlington, win the Big Xii Championship and play in a NY6 Game! I am all for that!

Reactions: fcclone

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I think games like the Notre Dame game and a couple of others don't put me in that 'yes' spot for EVERY game.
[...]
Even then the leakiness of the defense during that span still isn't quite a 'yes' for me but definitely does the most to set up for success.

Yes, I agree the defense has not been perfect in every game, but in ND and others, a good deal of that leakiness was due to the offense just not being able to do anything, resulting in numerous 3-and-outs, and over-stressing the defense.

Today some pressure may have helped but I'm not sure ISU has the personnel or depth to disrupt a team like that.

The expectations for a winning season are reasonable right now but some seem to be shocked that ISU lost to a program that it's beaten twice over the last decade.

I think today the defense did will enough to put ISU in position to win, as it has many times over the past 2.5 years, and the offense just couldn't come through to bring the program that "next step" win.

Reactions: madguy30

CloneSt8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 1, 2011
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but during the OSU drive for their third touchdown their wide receiver was pushed out of bounds, ran put of bounds for 12 to 13 yards and came back in for a long catch. I had always thought that if a receiver was pushed out of bounds they had to try to immediately get back inbounds to be a legal receiver. Watch the replay he did run 12-13 yards before making the catch. Am I wrong on the rules?

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
We had to play our best to win today. Obviously we didn't do that. Poor ST play, penalties, overwhelmed OL, Purdy off, didn't make for a ISU win. We'll rebound and still be in contention.
Fix the little things like coaching our returners to stand on the 10 and never step back. Just as they should have learned in Jr. High. (Sorry, just a major pet peeve.)

• Optimistic
Reactions: 83cy and AlaCyclone

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but during the OSU drive for their third touchdown their wide receiver was pushed out of bounds, ran put of bounds for 12 to 13 yards and came back in for a long catch. I had always thought that if a receiver was pushed out of bounds they had to try to immediately get back inbounds to be a legal receiver. Watch the replay he did run 12-13 yards before making the catch. Am I wrong on the rules?

per Die4Cy earlier
From rulebook:

A receiver loses his eligibility by leaving the field of play unless he was forced out by a defensive player and immediately attempts to get back inbounds (Rule 7-3-4).

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
This team is still really good. I could easily see us winning out or maybe lose one more somewhere.

REMEMBER: Pretty much everyone comes back for next year as well. Enjoy it everyone.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009
It is concerning that ISU seems to have issues executing after a bye week or weeks off.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Well I don't know what it means, but Campbell was as crabby as I've heard him in his post game press conference. It was in response to a couple of really dumb questions but still he is usually able to hide it more.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron