*** Official #15 IOWA STATE vs #18 Texas Tech Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
[QUOTEm my nm
[/QUOTE]
Just looking over play by play. From 17:00 in 2nd half to 5:30 mark, TTU scored on 17 out of 18 possessions. They missed shots in there, but got offensive rebounds, and more importantly, zero turnovers in that stretch. That is why the game got away from us. From 28-29 to 44-66 (37-16 run).

Yes, and 10 of those were from the freethrow line. There was one and 1 in there that doesn't count as points from FT line only.

In that time period TT scored 19 points from the FT line. We did score one from the line in that same time period, so that is only a deficit of 18 points. We lost how many points during that time? Down 1 to down 22 = 21 points. Yeah, I am going to stand by my assertion that the FT disparity had a lot to do with the loss.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
For those of us who were around 20+ years ago, the big FT disparity was a way of life with the good Eustachy teams...except it was ISU shooting all the FTs.

There's the way it should be ideally, and the way it plays out in reality. By rule, certain things, like displacing a guy should always be a foul. But in reality, as several others have pointed out, the fouls don't get called unless the offensive player is being aggressive and forcing action. I don't know why, but that's the way it is, and it has been this way for years.

ISU's offense is struggling with this right now, coaches and players alike. They are just too passive on offense when they are facing aggressive defenses, like we seem to see night in and night out in the Big 12. Until ISU gets it figured out, I think these ugly foul and FT numbers are going to continue. ISU has to change, because the officiating isn't.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
Personally, I think playing Jaden when our offense is stuck is a bad idea. He is offense is not good enough to offset the liability he is on the defense. 5 mins of junk time against tech when we were getting blown out is not enough to convince me otherwise. Just my two cents on this one.

I hope he continues to develop and eventually gets some minutes, but for now I will trust TJ on this one.

• Dumb
Reactions: isufbcurt

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Sorry if anyone has already brought this up, but we were just talking about this:
When was the last time we had three guys foul out in regulation?

I don't recall a single case, although it wouldn't surprise me if it happened.

The closest that came to mind was at KSU in 2010 (McD's final season) - but only 2 fouled out (Brackins and Dendy) and one of those came in OT. Hamilton and Scotty each had 4 fouls (glad it didn't go to another OT!).

And we WON that game, somehow.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Personally, I think playing Jaden when our offense is stuck is a bad idea. He is offense is not good enough to offset the liability he is on the defense. 5 mins of junk time against tech when we were getting blown out is not enough to convince me otherwise. Just my two cents on this one.

I hope he continues to develop and eventually gets some minutes, but for now I will trust TJ on this one.

You might be right. But it is certainly an idea. And TJ played for SEVERAL critical minutes last night without a point guard which is stupider than putting jaden in.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
You might be right. But it is certainly an idea. And TJ played for SEVERAL critical minutes last night without a point guard which is stupider than putting jaden in.
I was very confused about the line up without point guards, and also think it was a bad idea. Haven’t seen the postgame interview yet, so curious if he was asked about it.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think that says more about where Jaden is at than the mindset and knowledge of TJ and the staff..

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Last night honestly doesn’t mean much. Need 5 more wins with 3 very winnable games next up. Go 2-1 in the next 3 games and ISU is in great shape for a bid.

Saturday is close to a must win, but probably not yet at this point in the season

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Last night was frustrating, but Tech is the real deal. I remember thinking after our game in Ames that a full strength TT team could challenge for the conference title.

That win at home is going to look REALLY good by season end.

Gotta take care of business on Saturday.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
For those of us who were around 20+ years ago, the big FT disparity was a way of life with the good Eustachy teams...except it was ISU shooting all the FTs.

There's the way it should be ideally, and the way it plays out in reality. By rule, certain things, like displacing a guy should always be a foul. But in reality, as several others have pointed out, the fouls don't get called unless the offensive player is being aggressive and forcing action. I don't know why, but that's the way it is, and it has been this way for years.

ISU's offense is struggling with this right now, coaches and players alike. They are just too passive on offense when they are facing aggressive defenses, like we seem to see night in and night out in the Big 12. Until ISU gets it figured out, I think these ugly foul and FT numbers are going to continue. ISU has to change, because the officiating isn't.
The offense has been fine when not facing TT...

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
Fact of the matter is, Texas Tech has one of the best, if not THE best defense in the country. Even though they were down a few players when we played them in Ames, that's a huge win and splitting with Tech, I expected after how the first game went. Just need to get back to the grind and get a home w against TCU.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Yes, and 10 of those were from the freethrow line. There was one and 1 in there that doesn't count as points from FT line only.

In that time period TT scored 19 points from the FT line. We did score one from the line in that same time period, so that is only a deficit of 18 points. We lost how many points during that time? Down 1 to down 22 = 21 points. Yeah, I am going to stand by my assertion that the FT disparity had a lot to do with the loss.
No doubt shooting more FTs helped TT. The issue is why there was a FT/foul discrepancy.

Six games into conference play, and this foul/FT disparity issue has come up in several games already. You either have to buy into some kind of conspiracy against ISU, or look at what the offense is doing. I like a good conspiracy, but in this case, it isn't warranted, IMO. The ISU offense needs to start putting foul pressure on its opponents by being more aggressive (like the opponents are doing to ISU).

Maybe ISU's players aren't oriented that way now, but IMO it is something you can teach to some extent. Just like you can teach guys to play tough defense...

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Kalscheur is now shooting 27.4% from deep and that is actually an improvement over the 24.5% he shot last year at MN. He can't possibly have any confidence left and yet he keeps chucking it up there. Fortunately, ISU hasn't had any close games where we needed Kalscheur to make a late shot other than the KU game. But I am concerned that we are soon going to have a bunch of close games.

If I were TJ, I would consider having Kalscheur sit on the bench at the end of the game. I would rather see Grill or Kunc throw up a desperation 3 than Kalscheur shoot from a wide open look.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
No doubt shooting more FTs helped TT. The issue is why there was a FT/foul discrepancy.

Six games into conference play, and this foul/FT disparity issue has come up in several games already. You either have to buy into some kind of conspiracy against ISU, or look at what the offense is doing. I like a good conspiracy, but in this case, it isn't warranted, IMO. The ISU offense needs to start putting foul pressure on its opponents by being more aggressive (like the opponents are doing to ISU).

Maybe ISU's players aren't oriented that way now, but IMO it is something you can teach to some extent. Just like you can teach guys to play tough defense...

My question: do ISU's players have the ability to really drive aggressively and dictate movement?

It's like wanting ISU football to run WR screens..there's a reason other teams make it look easy.