*** Official #13 IOWA STATE vs #17 Texas Game(Day) Thread ***

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Have not had a chance to read all the posts, but does anyone else recall a play in which a UT receiver did not make the catch, but the ball landed on his back? There was an ISU defender right there, and just picking up the ball off his back would have been an INT.

There were several of us yelling at the TV at the moment. Did we see that correctly?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Have not had a chance to read all the posts, but does anyone else recall a play in which a UT receiver did not make the catch, but the ball landed on his back? There was an ISU defender right there, and just picking up the ball off his back would have been an INT.

There were several of us yelling at the TV at the moment. Did we see that correctly?

The db was celebrating and the ball was just there for the taking.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I’m a Manning fan, but having Kene in and giving it to him on that crucial 3rd and 1 where he got blown up and lost two yards, while you have the nations best running back just sitting on the sidelines infuriated me.
Possibly some back story we may never know. Equipment problem, small injury, just needed a rest.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA

He didn't see it, another player did and rushed in but too late to grab it. Fortunately the receiver wasn't aware or able to coral it either.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I haven't read this entire thread, but has anyone discussed if you think the coaching staff had any thoughts of taking the offsides penalty against UT on Breece's TD run?

I doubt there was any real thought of it because I don't think you can take points off the board there, but it crossed my mind immediately. We would have had 1st and goal from the 1 yd line with 1:25 left and could have forced UT to burn their 2 timeouts and taken a little time off too..... but obviously would have been VERY risky because you never know if you can score or not?

I definitely think you HAVE to take the points though. It was just an interesting scenario.

Texas definitely let Hall score there though IMO.... which is the correct call in that situation.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
I haven't read this entire thread, but has anyone discussed if you think the coaching staff had any thoughts of taking the offsides penalty against UT on Breece's TD run?

I doubt there was any real thought of it because I don't think you can take points off the board there, but it crossed my mind immediately. We would have had 1st and goal from the 1 yd line with 1:25 left and could have forced UT to burn their 2 timeouts and taken a little time off too..... but obviously would have been VERY risky because you never know if you can score or not?

I definitely think you HAVE to take the points though. It was just an interesting scenario.

Texas definitely let Hall score there though IMO.... which is the correct call in that situation.
Risk our O-Line jumping offsides or an illegal formation/ procedure penalty? Take the points.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You gotta take the TD.

Agree.

I wonder what the "analytics" say these days?

I kinda hate to see football starting to look so much at the analytics like baseball does though. I was watching a game several weeks ago where a team was down 14 and scored a TD and went for 2 and I was thinking "what in the world?". But the announcers said that the analytics now show that you should go for 2 in that situation. If you make it, great, now you only need a TD and an extra point to win the game.... and if you miss you still have a chance to tie it up after your next TD if you convert that 2 pt attempt.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

NO! We had been in the red zone several times and had to settle for FGs.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

I had the same concerns with the first "int". Lots of our guys standing around with no whistle having blown.

Help Support Us

Become a patron