*** Official #10 Illinois vs #4 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Not happy with the outcome, but think it’s important to keep it in perspective. ISU’s coaching staff and this team exceeded most everyone’s expectations. Illinois had a much bigger and athletic lineup. Shannon was a breast and ISU didn’t have anyone who was as remotely good. Still, this team fought and the three guard tandem of Lipsey, Gilbert, and Jones are likely to return. Consequently, next year is likely to be even better.

Tournament records are worse than anybody realizes since everybody finishes with a loss.

There are probably not a lot of teams that are better than 4-3 in the past 3 years. Maybe 10 max if I had to guess.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Teams like FAU, VCU, Loyola and George Mason have made the final four. There’s absolutely no reason we can’t get there.
I'm telling you guys. If tj gets another big man and a shooter. Nobody is beating us. Next year could be our best team ever.

Need a shooter, and either a real post or a stretch 4. I get it, but if it's dine right we can do this.

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
Especially in first half, it seemed Illinois got EVERY 50/50 ball, either by luck or hustle. We got a few in second half but still 75/25 Illinois instead of 50/50.
When we won that 50 50 ball with 3 mins left with diving onthe floor...that was the time I was most hopeful we'd win.

Reactions: Lafester and CyNews

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Seeing teams like Clemson, NC State, FAU, Loyola Chicago etc make these deep runs and us just never getting that high just doesn’t make sense. You’d figure a deep run would happen SOMETIME

Deep runs are relative to the team. For us, Sweet 16 feels like a glass ceiling. For your team, a Sweet 16 would be a deep run because you haven’t done it in 25 years.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Teams like FAU, VCU, Loyola and George Mason have made the final four. There’s absolutely no reason we can’t get there.

That’s why just making the tourney a 6 seed or better is so key. Eventually the stars align and you either get a favorable region or a bunch of upsets. It’s all about the path.

Our region was not favorable this year and the whole tourney has been pretty chalky.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
I'm telling you guys. If tj gets another big man and a shooter. Nobody is beating us. Next year could be our best team ever.

Need a shooter, and either a real post or a stretch 4. I get it, but if it's dine right we can do this.

I'll bite....need that sort of perspective.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Tournament records are worse than anybody realizes since everybody finishes with a loss.

There are probably not a lot of teams that are better than 4-3 in the past 3 years. Maybe 10 max if I had to guess.
Exhibit A: Mad Fran

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
By that account, we missed more bunnies than they did FTs.
I’ve posted before, but I honestly can only think of two obvious plays that should have been points. Gilbert’s layup after the steal and King missed bunny towards end of the game when he had time to catch it and go go back up.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Man. If hasn’t been given yet I’ll do it. Shoutout to Curtis Jones with a Hogue style game trying to will us to win. If you’d have told me we’d get 26 from him I would have predicted a 15 point win.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
I’m out gang. Heck of a season. We could have won tonight, but overall the opponent earned the W by responding to our runs. Maybe a slightly better first half and we would be in the elite eight. Either way, proud of this group and the future is bright.