*** Official #10 Illinois vs #4 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
We played better 2nd half by not doubling and just playing hard nosed one on one defense. We can learn from this next year when our trap is not working against teams that are consistently breaking it.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Iowa State was 17/21 at the free throw line. That's outstanding. But they only made 6 three pointers.

Gave up 17 offensive rebounds. That needs to be addressed.
We shot FT well tonight, and our made 3 pointers was not horrible because only shot 13 the entire game, but the offensive rebounds that we gave up tonight along with the missed shots right at the rim were the difference.
If ISU wants to move forward, we need a big guy that be a threat to score, love big Rob, but you cannot win at a high level with players like him starting, he is a quality sub that plays 15 minutes a game.

Reactions: agentbear

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
They were extremely beatable. That's for sure.

I think it's probably still a 50/50 in a 5 or 7 game series. The answer to #1 O vs #1 D is that they do kind of neutralize.

We missed enough missed layups and had such a horrible first half on offense that we definitely could have won or could win a rematch, but they are better passing, finishing and shooting as a total team than anybody in B12. Pains me to say that.

It really doesn't bother me compared to our other exits because it was a neutral court with decent officiating and we did play much better in second half at least. I don't think it was like our Purdue loss where it took Prohm forever to make an adjustment against what I think was an inferior team. It wasn't our Ohio State loss where they actually won if not for a stolen 3pt play (Barkley even said we got screwed out of a win in the studio). They just lost a game to good team that was a little better.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I hope so....I really do. Games like tonight take a hit on my optimism that the "legit Final Four material" teams will really happen at Iowa State. But I'll get it back. I trust TJ and love my Cyclones.
Both Arizona and North Carolina are far more legit Final Four material than us. Both went home within hours of us. This tourney is a crapshoot.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I hope so....I really do. Games like tonight take a hit on my optimism that the "legit Final Four material" teams will really happen at Iowa State. But I'll get it back. I trust TJ and love my Cyclones.

We've had a couple teams with that material, but they've always fallen short, whether it was coaching or bad luck. That's the trouble with a huge single elimination tournament, though.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Legit how is Shannon allowed to play, and how do Illinois fans cheer him on?

A court forced them to un-suspend him saying it was unfair to cost him his opportunity at money before he's been found guilty somehow (when schools suspend players for things that aren't even illegal all the time). Stupid logic imo.

That doesn't mean Underwood couldnt let him ride the bench though. Coaches have done it for a lot less.

Reactions: Cyclad

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
3 plays. That fluke tip in by them in the first half, Keshon missing a wide open layup to tie it, and Tre botching one late to cut it to two.

I want to throw up.

Yep...I feel that. But in some weird way that gets mitigated by the missed free throws by Illinois.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
the offensive rebounds just seemed to either go long or ISU did not box very well. illinios seemed to stick a hand in and knock the ball loose at times also. still a good fight.
Especially in first half, it seemed Illinois got EVERY 50/50 ball, either by luck or hustle. We got a few in second half but still 75/25 Illinois instead of 50/50.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Hawkins really hurt us tonight. A guy that tall shouldn’t be so smooth with the ball.

Yeah. They have a lot of long athletic guys who can shoot, pass and finish. A lot of teams talk "positionless basketball" but other than the big guy they really have that.

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
Tj has gotten us better every year. (We lost last year in 1st round... but still better statistically than year 1). I have faith in him as long as that keeps happening!

Reactions: CycloneErik