*** Official #10 Illinois vs #4 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Seen at Ohare so far this morning (not including me)

Iowa State - 1
Duke - 2
Marquette - 1
UNC - 1
Illinois - 1
Creighton - 2

Wisconsin I've seen the most plus randoms like Florida, Notre Dame, Minnesota etc

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I feel like Tre King is due for a phenomenal game.

I feel like our bigs will make or break this game. Hawkins isn't very physical and Danja is slow. If they go 5 out we need to be able to be physical with them down low. When Dainja is in, you have to make him move.

Last edited:
Reactions: mapnerd

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Man do I wish the Cubs had a day game today. I'm too damn jittery to do anything and I've got a long ways to go.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
So I have to swap out my power supply in my gaming PC, which if you have never done is super tedious and annoying. This is a perfect night to do it considering I'll be chewing on my arm waiting for this to start tonight.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
So what percentage of cyclone fans will be drunk by tipoff?
Don't know about drunk by tipoff, but my new couch just got delivered and I fully expect to fall asleep on it watching the game tonight.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
So I have to swap out my power supply in my gaming PC, which if you have never done is super tedious and annoying. This is a perfect night to do it considering I'll be chewing on my arm waiting for this to start tonight.
Sounds like a great time much like the track meet that I'm going to tonight.

• Funny
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
KenPom has us as a 1 point favorite tonight 76-75.

View attachment 126490
View attachment 126491

game on.
Some initial thoughts on the analytics - I'll write on their players later:

- The bright red box really stands out amongst a bunch of green. Our defense is #2 in forcing turnovers. Their defense is the third worst in the country! On top of that, we've been really REALLY good at taking care of the ball recently - our last 5 games we average only 6 turnovers, which is crazy low.
- For the #1 offense, there really isn't anything they do at an elite level. They aren't Top 15 in any metric that KenPom measures, but they are basically top 100 in everything.
- On offense Illinois is basic right at the average for point distribution (points from 3, 2, FT) and 3pts attempted. They do have a lower than average assist rate, due to the amount of isolations they run
- Our defense allows a lot of 3s (but at a quite low success rate over the last couple months) and is 9th best in limiting scoring on 2pt shots. Their defense is opposite, opponents take a very low percentage of shots from 3 and they give up the 8th most points on 2pt shots - especially in the mid range
- For all the chatter from their fans about "pushing it in transition" and how no one can stop them, they really don't play all that fast on offense, about average. We do tend to cause very long possessions with our defense.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Hope they win, but will not meltdown if they lose.

Not nervous, looking forward to the game

Been a great year hope it continues. Next year barring an exodus of key players they will be preseason top 10. So lots of good things ahead.

It's part of why I'm optimistic about this game. The first 2 games I can see playing a little tense as you don't want the disappointment of an upset. Tonight you can go out and play free.

Reactions: fsanford

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Some initial thoughts on the analytics - I'll write on their players later:

- The bright red box really stands out amongst a bunch of green. Our defense is #2 in forcing turnovers. Their defense is the third worst in the country! On top of that, we've been really REALLY good at taking care of the ball recently - our last 5 games we average only 6 turnovers, which is crazy low.
- For the #1 offense, there really isn't anything they do at an elite level. They aren't Top 15 in any metric that KenPom measures, but they are basically top 100 in everything.
- On offense Illinois is basic right at the average for point distribution (points from 3, 2, FT) and 3pts attempted. They do have a lower than average assist rate, due to the amount of isolations they run
- Our defense allows a lot of 3s (but at a quite low success rate over the last couple months) and is 9th best in limiting scoring on 2pt shots. Their defense is opposite, opponents take a very low percentage of shots from 3 and they give up the 8th most points on 2pt shots - especially in the mid range
- For all the chatter from their fans about "pushing it in transition" and how no one can stop them, they really don't play all that fast on offense, about average. We do tend to cause very long possessions with our defense.
I think end of day it comes down to how it's officiated.

If they are whistle happy ISU will be challenged to pull it off

Reactions: Cyclonsin