Office vs. OpenOffice

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
This is obviously computer Sunday. Has anyone tried Open Office and how does it compare to Micro Office?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I like Microsoft Office better but Open Office is nearly as good and is free. I guess it depends on what you're using. To me the Excel and Word applications are just as good. I use thunderbird for my email application and I don't use Powerpoint at home.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I have Micro Office pro, so I don't need OpenOffice, but was curious if it was better or worse than Office. If it better, I might think of downloading it to see what it's like.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
OpenOffice is a bit different than Office, but not too bad (especially considering how different each version of MS Office is from its predecessor), but takes some getting used to.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
A word of warning, if you are using the Windows 7 beta, Open Office has some issues with saving. Whenever I tried to save any file the program crashed. Maybe they have it fixed now, but make sure you try it out before working several hours on a file.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I put Open Office on computers that don't have any office software (i.e. the wife's) and it works just fine.

There are some niggling compatability issues between the two, but it's no big deal for most things.

I'd say where Oo_Org falls down is when it comes to creating complex documents and then sharing with MS Office users.

If you're just creating word documents and editing them and whatnot it's fine. If there's any major doubts about sharing something, and the other party doesn't really need to edit a document, just see it, use pdfcreator and print the document out as a PDF and send that.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
I use Microsoft Office at home and Open Office at work and am equally happy with both. I doubt that I will ever pay for Microsoft Office again however. Free programs that work are always a big plus with me. I use Firefox and Thunderbird at home and at work. Someone will have to give me a very good reason or I will never download IE 7.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
A word of warning, if you are using the Windows 7 beta, Open Office has some issues with saving. Whenever I tried to save any file the program crashed. Maybe they have it fixed now, but make sure you try it out before working several hours on a file.

It wasn't just an openoffice issue. I'd heard that one of the builds of Windows 7 beta had that "feature"

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I use Microsoft Office at home and Open Office at work and am equally happy with both. I doubt that I will ever pay for Microsoft Office again however. Free programs that work are always a big plus with me. I use Firefox and Thunderbird at home and at work. Someone will have to give me a very good reason or I will never download IE 7.
Security is reason to download IE7.
IE6 and older are abysmal. The latest version of IE7 is much better in that regard.

IE 8, on the other hand.....

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron