Offense Philosophy Question?

rd4isu

Apr 11, 2006
As long as we don't see the dreaded run (for 1 yard), run (for -2 yards) and pass (incompletion) 15 times a game, I'll be happy.

St8Grad

Mar 30, 2006
Nashville, TN
I looked at the stats for both ISU and SFA last year.

ISU ran the ball 51% of the time, SFA ran 56%. We had 12.2 yards per pass completion with 12 TDs and 12 Ints. SFA had 11.0 yds per pass comp. with 8 TDs and 5 Ints.

If McFarland uses the same style here I would guess:
1. We will run the ball slightly more than last year
2. We will use more of a shorter, conservative passing game.

I agree with this. McFarland can run the spread offense, but Chizik has already said "we will run the ball first & foremost. we can't establish anything unless the run is established first." So, with that said, I think we'll pound the ball & have short & quick passes because of the inexperienced o-line. The occassional long ball will keep the defense honest, but I think it will be a chip-away-at-it offense. Just get 1st down after 1st down. We don't have the athletes to blow a game out, so we will try to control the flow of the game with our offense, all-the-while keeping the ball out of their offense's hands & resting the defense.

This is a lot easier said than done though, as we've seen in the last 12 years...

dsouth

Nov 24, 2006
Heres one thing i've been tossing around in my head - Is our head coach considered one of the top defensive minds in the game? If so, can that not do anything other then raise our offense, imagine the difference he faces a blitzing from every angle defense he sees this year???....i'm telling you right now, our offense will be our strength....i know thats a reach from last year, but, our offense was like looking at a "Fundamentals of Football" at blockbuster, now i think we have a bit of diversity and complextion to our offense thats needed unless your recruiting class looks like USC, ND or EIU.....

I'm so hyped on how this will evolve, but, not ignorant that this might be our season....to win the big 12 north of course.....

Let's line em up and see where we stand...if were not able to withstand it...so be it....it will come, i love the way this staff recruits and coaches and i think future stars will follow....

SO ready for Aug. 30th....

kind of reminds me of stoops when he took over at ou.

isu_bub

Apr 10, 2006
Ames, Iowa
A shorter passing game can only make the big play down field more catastrophic for an opposing defense. Our coaches know what we have with Blythe, Sumrall, Franklin, and crew. A cat and mouse type passing game can really put the other teams safety duo on islands when their play call is for short zone or single man coverage.

But remember, the play calling is one thing. Bret has to step up as well.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Everybody's talking about passing, but I really hope we see a good running back who can pound the ball and get positive yards. Some of the best football we ever played was back in the Davis Brothers and Enis Haywood days. I still get chills when I remember Seneca Wallace and Enis Haywood working together on the field. We haven't had a decent back or perhaps O line since then.

You run the ball well and it will open all kind of pass opportunities.

Last edited:

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
Everybody's talking about passing, but I really hope we see a good running back who can pound the ball and get postive yards. Some of the best football we ever played was back in the Davis Brothers and Enis Haywood days. I still get chills when I remember Seneca Wallace and Enis Haywood working together on the field. We haven't had a decent back or perhaps O line since then.

You run the ball well and it will open all kind of pass opportunities.

I think, Bob, that part of the problem with the past couple years is that the coaches were so determined to show that Stevie Hicks could run the ball, that they choked off any sort of flow. The pass can be used to help a weak running game be effective, we would look at that, move the ball a bit, and then you could see the coaches look at each other and say, "we have to run the ball." Then the offense bogged down into that rush, rush, incomplete pass, then punt flow that we all loved so much.:no6xn:

It also didn't help that they changed recruiting philosophy all the time.:no6xn::sad9cd:

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I think, Bob, that part of the problem with the past couple years is that the coaches were so determined to show that Stevie Hicks could run the ball, that they choked off any sort of flow. The pass can be used to help a weak running game be effective, we would look at that, move the ball a bit, and then you could see the coaches look at each other and say, "we have to run the ball." Then the offense bogged down into that rush, rush, incomplete pass, then punt flow that we all loved so much.:no6xn:

It also didn't help that they changed recruiting philosophy all the time.:no6xn::sad9cd:

Not to dwell on the past too much, but I never could figure out why the staff liked Stevie so much. Yeah he could block well, but I never thought he was really that fast or powerful. Big upper body, but not really that strong of legs. Perhaps it was the lack of an effective replacement with Jason Scales being beat up so much.

Anyway looking ahead; I'm interested in seeing Bass on the field and if he's a back who can run through people which is what he'll have to do this year with our suspect offensive line.

Last edited:

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
Not to dwell on the past too much, but I never could figure out why the staff liked Stevie so much. Yeah he could block well, but I never thought he was really that fast or powerful. Big upper body, but not really that strong of legs. Perhaps it was the lack of an effective replacement with Jason Scales being beat up so much.

Anyway looking ahead; I'm interested in seeing Bass on the field and if he's a back who can run through people which is what he'll have to do this year with our suspect offensive line.

I can see why you wouldn't want to discuss the past, Bob:no6xn:.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Looking back at last season, we probably should have put Hicks as Fullback/blocking back and Koch at running back.

This year's offensive philosophy: put ball in end zone.