Notebook: Rhoads will evaluate "everything" after the season

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
We actually couldn't afford him either, we got Thurman Leach from Garner High School in NC.
--High School OT.com - Clayton and Garner welcome new head football coaches

Look! His team went 8-3 and they only scored under 35 once this year!

---Garner Magnet High School (Garner, NC) Football Schedule - MaxPreps.com

Thurman Leach is the right man for the job
:pwink:

I'd hire him on the name alone.

Although, the name Thurman Leach sounds like a guy who's fully invested in the "three yards and a cloud of dust" theory.

On the other hand, the name Courtney Messingham sounds like a guy who's more into the "dainty horizontal toss, frolic around for a gain of 1, and a puff of sparkles" theory.

And yes, I'm just piling on..

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
Even though I admitted that I stood corrected I still don't see anything about him as a QB coach can you point it out for me please:
At Nevada, as offensive coordinator he was at the helm of the "Pistol" offense that was prolifically productive, featuring a powerful running game led by the offensive line and, from 2007-09, current San Francisco 49er quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

Klenakis was the first coordinator in NCAA Division I history to coach an offense that led the nation in rushing (2009) and passing (1997) during his career.

There you go. :wink:

Edit: I have to admit, these two excerpts are hard to see as they're buried within the text of the bio. I also noticed that the bio mentions leading an offense #1 in passing in 1997, but doesn't mention where -- I think it's a typo. Perhaps 2007 at Nevada?

Last edited:

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
At Nevada, as offensive coordinator he was at the helm of the "Pistol" offense that was prolifically productive, featuring a powerful running game led by the offensive line and, from 2007-09, current San Francisco 49er quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

Klenakis was the first coordinator in NCAA Division I history to coach an offense that led the nation in rushing (2009) and passing (1997) during his career.

There you go.

That says NOTHING about him being a QB coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It says he lead the offense not coached QB's.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am

There you go. :wink:

Edit: I have to admit, these two excerpts are hard to see as they're buried within the text of the bio. I also noticed that the bio mentions leading an offense #1 in passing in 1997, but doesn't mention where -- I think it's a typo. Perhaps 2007 at Nevada?

You did specifically say that you were okay with CK being QB coach because of his prior experience and success there. The contention is not whether he was an OC, because we all know he was, its whether he was a QB coach at Nevada, or anywhere for that matter.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Who would replace Messingham as OC/QB coach. There are two good candidates on staff as everyone on this site knows. After reading their resumes, my pick would be to promote Klenakis over Sturdy. One, Coach Klenakis has been coaching for 20+ years, and had great success at not only at Nevada, but Arkansas as well. Any coach who can win in the SEC tells me he knows how to his job at the highest level. In addition, CPR seems to be committed to running the Pistol, and CK is the most logical choice as OC for that offense.

I am not disputing that CK was an OC, I know he was and a good one at that. I am disputing that he has prior experience coaching QB's. So I wouldn't feel comfortable with him taking over as QB coach.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I see lots of teams pro/college going away from running the quarterbacks. Its just too dangerous having the quarterback run the ball. There is no way any quarterback will stay heathly here if they are running the way we do.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
I am not disputing that CK was an OC, I know he was and a good one at that. I am disputing that he has prior experience coaching QB's. So I wouldn't feel comfortable with him taking over as QB coach.

No disrespect intended toward Coach K (and I would defer to people like you Curt in judging his abilities) but Chris Ault was the brains behind that Nevada offense. Not sure what Coach K could do as an OC in a situation like ours. Of the incumbent staff members, I still say Coach Sturdy has the most potential as an OC hire from within. He led a pretty decent offense at WSU pre Leach.