Not Fake News. Bob Stoops announcing his retirement.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Obviously he has to prove it but I think OU will be in good hands with Lincoln Riley. Considered one of the top young coaches out there right now.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
JEREMY WOO
11 minutes ago
Oklahoma’s Bob Stoops will retire after 18 seasons as head football coach, Berry Tramel of The Oklahoman reports.

Stoops, 56, will be replaced by 33-year-old offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley.

Stoops will reportedly inform his players of his decision on Wednesday.

After taking over the program in 1999, Stoops went 190–48 at Oklahoma, winning the national title in 2000 in addition to 10 Big 12 championships (nine outright).

I got a chuckle about the bolded comment. Are we all supposed to keep this quiet until he tells them today?
giphy.gif

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Obviously he has to prove it but I think OU will be in good hands with Lincoln Riley. Considered one of the top young coaches out there right now.
I think it's a huge risk. Obviously Stoops thinks he's the right guy though.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
This timing isn't weird from the program's standpoint. They had their guy already on staff, by waiting until now they don't open the door up for recruits and players to leave on them, and it's a seamless transition over to Riley. Obviously a little shady to the incoming recruits because I am assuming they weren't real forthright with this, but it's part of the deal I guess.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
This timing isn't weird from the program's standpoint. They had their guy already on staff, by waiting until now they don't open the door up for recruits and players to leave on them, and it's a seamless transition over to Riley. Obviously a little shady to the incoming recruits because I am assuming they weren't real forthright with this, but it's part of the deal I guess.

Is it? Even though it sucks for the athlete, I can at least understand a coach telling the player he'll be there but then leaves for a better job (or gets fired, which is out of the coaches control)

You'd have to be a real piece of **** to straight up lie to those players faces knowing full well you wouldn't even coach them year 1.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Timing makes perfect sense to me because he could not handle the pressure of trying to keep up with the national titles the softball coach is winning at OU. She won her 3rd in the last 5 years last night!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I heard there is video of his star running back knocking a woman the **** out and then casually leaving the scene. He could be getting out before....oh.

I think he needs to wait a few years after the incident, say he would have removed the player from the program if he had known what had happened, and then go on to play the kid in the bowl game before anything gets released.

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
My sources are telling me that David Boren is taking over the coaching duty because Stoops did want to move the SEC.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Said nothing wrong with health, just wants to "go out and live life."

Hopefully that is all it is, and if so, good for him!

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
Isn't Mike Stoops the assistant head coach? Does he not want the HC job?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Said nothing wrong with health, just wants to "go out and live life."

Hopefully that is all it is, and if so, good for him!

Maybe just a case of burnout. When it's national championship or bust every season the stress must be unbelievable after a while.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron