Not Fake News. Bob Stoops announcing his retirement.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
You would think with a legitimate chance at winning the first Big 12 championship game in years, that he would wait until after this year to retire. Something definitely seems odd about the timing.
I'm not sure if that's ^^^ sarcasm or not, but Dennis Dodd, in today's column on CBS, alluded to Stoops's concern with cholesterol levels. I'm not sure how that's impacted by coaching. But he could be concluding that life is a day-to-day gift for him now, and he wants it to be with his family not the Joe Mixon's of the world.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
It's all a trick to get Snyder to retire first, then bounce right back in with the oldest man gone.
Who would have guessed Bill would outlast Bobby?

1990_KSU_football_Staff_1_t640.jpg

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Listened to Stoops last night. Surprised to hear him talk about how it just seemed right over the last week and a half. I would have expected him to have a more scripted plan. Sounded like the sort of decision that he might regret and double-back on.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
One has to wonder if a violation or two are heading OU's way. Timing seems strange.
Bobby has high cholesterol as alluded to in Dodd's piece today. Have also heard this has been in the works since Lincoln (forgot his last name) was hired. Feels like Tech with KK to me. But we'll see. OU is loaded. How will he work with Mike Stoops? This first year will be interesting, as the league isn't OU and everyone else this go-around.

• Disagree
Reactions: TheJackWePack5

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Anybody else find it mildly annoying when people refer to people they don't know by nicknames that their friends/family use? Almost like they're implying they're buds or something? :rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: surly

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
One has to wonder if a violation or two are heading OU's way. Timing seems strange.
Regarding timing I don't see it as strange at all. From what I hear Riley was the "coach in waiting" but the OU AD had the sense to keep it a secret. So everyone in high leadership, Bob, and Riley have been preparing accordingly.

Also, Stoops's father dropped dead from a heart attack around his age, iirc. Maybe it's a preventative retirement rather than a reactionary one.

Finally, 18 years is a long time to coach D1. Stoops doesn't need the money and his legacy is solid at OU. Seems like he did it exactly right to me...

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Bobby has high cholesterol as alluded to in Dodd's piece today. Have also heard this has been in the works since Lincoln (forgot his last name) was hired. Feels like Tech with KK to me. But we'll see. OU is loaded. How will he work with Mike Stoops? This first year will be interesting, as the league isn't OU and everyone else this go-around.
It's definitely still OU "and then everyone else" this go around....

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Regarding timing I don't see it as strange at all. From what I hear Riley was the "coach in waiting" but the OU AD had the sense to keep it a secret. So everyone in high leadership, Bob, and Riley have been preparing accordingly.

Also, Stoops's father dropped dead from a heart attack around his age, iirc. Maybe it's a preventative retirement rather than a reactionary one.

Finally, 18 years is a long time to coach D1. Stoops doesn't need the money and his legacy is solid at OU. Seems like he did it exactly right to me...

Buddy that lives in OK but is an OSU grad is saying that's the prevailing thought here. Stoops has wanted Riley to replace him and it's been known within the staff for awhile. The timing of this basically guarantees that he will be the coach. Doing it now means that no booster can try to step in and force a search or force a big name candidate. They are in a position that no search can realistically happen. From what they are hearing in OK the timing was a well thought out piece to all of this as it allows the staff to stay intact and Stoops walks away.

And it does appear that it truly is heart related. Doesn't sound like anything serious just more of a wanting to step away and focus on health due to family history.

Who knows if any of this is true but this is apparently what's floating around in OK.

Reactions: weR138

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Want to take some bets on how many years he sits out? I'll go with two.

Plus, Bob a little cholesterol isn't going to kill you. Polyphenols and eating some dark berries. Learn to love em.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Buddy that lives in OK but is an OSU grad is saying that's the prevailing thought here. Stoops has wanted Riley to replace him and it's been known within the staff for awhile. The timing of this basically guarantees that he will be the coach. Doing it now means that no booster can try to step in and force a search or force a big name candidate. They are in a position that no search can realistically happen. From what they are hearing in OK the timing was a well thought out piece to all of this as it allows the staff to stay intact and Stoops walks away.

And it does appear that it truly is heart related. Doesn't sound like anything serious just more of a wanting to step away and focus on health due to family history.

Who knows if any of this is true but this is apparently what's floating around in OK.
I saw it posted on another site that Stoops gets a $700,000.00 bonus each June 1st which might have a bit to do with the timing.

andyokstate

Mar 5, 2013
This first year will be interesting, as the league isn't OU and everyone else this go-around.

I hate to say it, but I view Big 12 football much like I view Big 12 basketball. I assume one team will win it...until they don't. Yeah, OU doesn't have the total stranglehold in football that KU does in basketball. But they've won it more than anyone else, and it isn't very close.

OSU got lambasted for hiring a 34 year old assistant basketball coach with no head coaching experience. And we are not even a top tier basketball school. OU handed their crown jewel program keys to a 33 year old assistant with no HC experience. I know, not apples to apples, but I find it funny how some of my OU friends are glad (WTH?) that Stoops is gone and that Riley will lead them to the promised land. No pressure, kid.

OSU doesn't get the better of OU much at all. I will say that on the few occasions we have, I have truly enjoyed seeing Bob destroy a perfectly good set of headphones. He is one helluva coach.

r960-76361e579f0f19ba58a1c34c3106e1b2.jpg