Northern Ill. 0-2 after loosing to Hawks and

Splendid

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
Southern Illinois, a 1AA team from the same Mid American conference as Northern Iowa. Thats right folks, these bad *** Hawks you're so afraid of may be paper tigers with an unrealistic view of their own accomplishments. Do you remember that Syracuse got smoked by a Washington team that was picked 9th in the Pac 10? Iowa beats Syracuse so they are 0-2 now as well.

Iowa deserves to be the favorite because they have taken care of business and we have not. If we want to be in this ball game, quit turning the ball over and cut out the stupid mistakes.

Last edited:

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Splendid - Well said, however i for one is not writting this team off in any way....

I think Iowa has a very formidable front 7, but, their secondary is weak and rip for the passing game we bring (see my other posts about opening up the play book a bit) and we stand a very good chance to not only be in this game, but win.....

Our defense will be tested - especially up front, they will run the ball - for sure. I think they will not put too much on the qb's shoulders as there's enough pressure anyway, but, to make a young guy, in Ames, try to carry the load could be a ugly day for him. I really like our secondary's chances against a depleted Iowa WR group....

Watch out for the TE - he is big and fast, we cannot let him get started as he did against Syracuse......

Please let this be our first win, if we're not bowling which i would say were not as our schedule simply gets tougher unlike Iowas, then let this be our Bowl game and kick their egotistical asses back to Stinky city.....

Go Chiz - make us proud......

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
To be fair, Washington looks a lot better than how they were picked this year, beating a good Boise State team at home. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them beat Ohio State this weekend.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
If BM shows up .... anything is possible. If he doesn't and stays the course as the last two weeks.... it could be worse than how SU had it last week.

- keep

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I pick Washington to beat OSU. I think people are underestimating the Huskies and what Ty is doing over there.

That being said, Northern Illinois was up by 20 points in the 4th quarter against SIU, but for some reason they fell. Such is life. But although Iowa hasn't beaten any "huge" opponent, that doesn't mean the stats are inflated. I don't care who you are, if you hold an opponent to 1 total yard of offense for half a game, that's impressive.

Especially since Syracuse runs the spread offense.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Honestly, every game plays out differently. We make a couple more plays and who knows, we could be looking at a better record right now. But, to think that Iowa isn't the superior team right now because of their competition losing some games, is probably not a good way to look at things. No matter how pretty or ugly they have done it, Iowa took care of business, we have not yet shown that we can do that. I think this is a very winnable game by ISU as this is not the greatest Iowa team to ever be on a football field, but, it will be a challenge for our team. We will have to play a very good game to pull this one off. No matter how anyone wants to downplay this game, it's still a rivalry and I think that helps us more than them. If our boys can't get up and really show some enthusiasm this game, I'm not sure we'll see it at all the rest of the year.

Splendid

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
I pick Washington to beat OSU. I think people are underestimating the Huskies and what Ty is doing over there.

Your kidding right? You think the same OSU that played for a national championship last year is going to get beat by a lower division Pac 10 team. I doubt it but anything can happen.

Some are saying the Big 10 is down this year with Michigan getting beat 2x and Wisconsin barely getting by UNLV. OSU losing to Washington would prove they are right. Well at least there would be no phony discussion about 2 Big 10 teams playing for the national championship like last year.

Last edited:

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota

Your kidding right? You think the same OSU that played for a national championship last year is going to get beat by a lower division Pac 10 team. I doubt it but anything can happen.

Some are saying the Big 10 is down this year with Michigan getting beat 2x and Wisconsin barely getting by UNLV. OSU loosing to Washington would prove they are right. Well at least there would be no phony discussion about 2 Big 10 teams playing for the national championship like last year.

Not necessarily. You are basing whether or not the BigTen is up or down on name recognition. If OSU and UM don't win all of their OOC games, then the BT must be down. However, if Purdue, Iowa, MSU, and UW all do, then how do we know until the post-season?

Last edited by a moderator:

Splendid

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
Not necessarily. You are basing whether or not the BigTen is up or down on name recognition. If OSU and UM don't win all of their OOC games, then the BT must be down. However, if Purdue, Iowa, MSU, and UW all do, then how do we know until the post-season?

You might be right, MU is the only one so far that has let down the conference, if OSU gets beat by Wash like you say it's another turd in the big 10 punch bowl. Iowa fans think they deserve to waltz by ISU because we are just a nat on your schedule and the real game is WU. Gosh, win the Wisky game and it is smooth sailing to the Rose Bowl. Or maybe not.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Ya'll got your quotes WAY messed up in this thread - my head's spinning trying to figure it out! :biglaugh:

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
You might be right, MU is the only one so far that has let down the conference, if OSU gets beat by Wash like you say it's another turd in the big 10 punch bowl. Iowa fans think they deserve to waltz by ISU because we are just a nat on your schedule and the real game is WU. Gosh, win the Wisky game and it is smooth sailing to the Rose Bowl. Or maybe not.

Nope, Iowa would have to beat PSU first before it's smooth sailing :wink:

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

The Big 10 is hyped regionally as much as the UofI is hyped in Des Moines. If a team makes it through unscathed, they'll be the next World Beaters, that's for sure. But, it's not uncommon. Look what happened to us in 2002. Nebraska was definitely on the downslide and speeding up. Yet our win over them was the launching point that eventually took us to #9 in the country. In football especially, the focus is Name recognition. Most team in the country could be at least as good as OSU or Michigan, but, at the start of the season, all things being equal, OSU and Michigan are going to get the higher rankings. Hell look at Michigan this year. Top 10 for what? A completely unproven defense. The media is as guilty as the fans in assuming year after year, it's just reload and reshoot for the big name programs.

It's all good though really. Honestly, what fun would college football be without all the hype.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I fixed all the bad quotes. One person messed it up and then it was a domino affect, as the same quotes were quoted and then the bad quoted quotes were quoted, and then the bad quoted quotes of the quoted quotes were quoted....:swoon:

*sigh*

I'm better now.

Last edited:

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
The Big 10 is hyped regionally as much as the UofI is hyped in Des Moines. If a team makes it through unscathed, they'll be the next World Beaters, that's for sure. But, it's not uncommon. Look what happened to us in 2002. Nebraska was definitely on the downslide and speeding up. Yet our win over them was the launching point that eventually took us to #9 in the country. In football especially, the focus is Name recognition. Most team in the country could be at least as good as OSU or Michigan, but, at the start of the season, all things being equal, OSU and Michigan are going to get the higher rankings. Hell look at Michigan this year. Top 10 for what? A completely unproven defense. The media is as guilty as the fans in assuming year after year, it's just reload and reshoot for the big name programs.

It's all good though really. Honestly, what fun would college football be without all the hype.
This is exactly my thinking. What would college football be without the hype, arguing, and bragging? It would be college baseball...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron