NO FANS AT CYCLONE GAMES?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I would say a good start is to not be focusing on discussing news channels or talking about what other countries think about the US. Has nothing to do with fans in the stands at Cyclone games. Now the pandemic and news of the pandemic are relevant, and even the mitigation efforts or lack there of.
:oops:
Guilty of responding to that. Sorry!

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I will say though that proudly waving your non-mask take in a thread about when...or how...or IF...football starts is really not a good look in terms of how much you want the season to happen.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I will say though that proudly waving your non-mask take in a thread about when...or how...or IF...football starts is really not a good look in terms of how much you want the season to happen.
Non-mask takes are also considered political. Are posting Iowa covid graphs political too if I add commentary to it? Without commentary?

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Give me a break. If you can't keep your political opinions our of this thread that's a "you" problem.

I would say that we crossed the line of political opinions to facts a long time ago. Whether or not people on here want to admit it or not is another matter.

Give you a break? One break, coming up.

• Dumb
Reactions: 3rdCoastClone

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
These guys will be the biggest whiners when football gets canceled or have no fans
In Europe where supposedly the virus is under control there are still no fans at games. Quite frankly not sure what response will make that happen when such a high percentage of the population is very risk averse and also very vocal about it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm guessing a whole bunch of people that didn't like masks are going to be changing their tune here pretty soon if they haven't already.

And they'll act like that's been the message all along.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I'm thinking maybe non-con will go before fans. We PAY $$ to have the non-con teams come here, and LOSE $$ if the fans are not there.

Plus - gives a few extra weeks to reschedule conferences games if necessary a la the Big 10.

One complication is the Big 12 non-con schedule is big for selling ESPN+ subscriptions. I'm guessing financially the Big 12 has more on the line with the non-con schedule with this supposed to be the year for the full roll out of Big 12 Now.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
In Europe where supposedly the virus is under control there are still no fans at games. Quite frankly not sure what response will make that happen when such a high percentage of the population is very risk averse and also very vocal about it.
Why I believe games with no fans will be the outcome and universities are delaying the inevitable of not having fans in the stands this year.

no fans has been fine for soccer in Europe. They want to have 25% of fans back in the stands around October last I heard for England.

if the response from the community was similar to those nations, we may have seen a similar outcome to have some fans at games. With where the U.S stands compared to them, it seems unlikely to have fans.

Let me know if this post is too political.

Reactions: Doc and Cyclad

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Why I believe games with no fans will be the outcome and universities are delaying the inevitable of not having fans in the stands this year.

no fans has been fine for soccer in Europe. They want to have 25% of fans back in the stands around October last I heard for England.

if the response from the community was similar to those nations, we may have seen a similar outcome to have some fans at games. With where the U.S stands compared to them, it seems unlikely to have fans.

Nothing political about that post at all however the post directly above yours on the other hand....

CloneJD

May 14, 2020

I believe there have been fans in the stands at racing events in the US (including Newton speedway). Is there a reason that is ok for racing but not college football if the same approach was taken?

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I believe there have been fans in the stands at racing events in the US (including Newton speedway). Is there a reason that is ok for racing but not college football if the same approach was taken?

It might be ok because those are professional racers and college football players are college students.

Last edited:
  • Dumb
Reactions: 3rdCoastClone

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
If you want my opinion, there shouldn't be fans at racing events either.

"Under the guidance of public health officials, medical experts and local, state and federal authorities, INDYCAR and Iowa Speedway will observe safe social distancing and provide enhanced hygiene and safety precautions for all fans in attendance at the event," the release said. "Only a limited number of tickets will be available for the upcoming race weekend, with each group of fans in attendance separated by at least 6 feet of distancing at Iowa Speedway, in order to align with Iowa state COVID-19 guidelines."

compared to this
http://www.storycountyiowa.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/18066?fileID=13807

Health officials are asking for different things from both sporting events.

What you brought up could make the case better that there shouldn't be football period this fall. Racing is an individualized sport involving a pit crew. For the athlete, this is easier to follow social distancing protocols and other necessary measures.

For football, athletes being in close contact with each other and the fact that it's a team sport with 100 people on each side when you account for the staff makes it more of a challenge to following suggestions.

There has been races canceled because of covid in other states. Maybe it's more of a state by state thing? (i'll avoid going deeper into this unless you want this to get political)
https://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2020/06/25/nhra-cancels-seattle-race-due-to-covid-19-restrictions/

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a31433138/motorsports-delayed-coronavirus/

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I would say that we crossed the line of political opinions to facts a long time ago. Whether or not people on here want to admit it or not is another matter.

Give you a break? One break, coming up.

Thread need mo' gifs.

giphy.gif

Dammit, now want a Kit-Kat bar. :oops:

Reactions: Macloney

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015

Just for the record your post seems very apolitical to me. It remains to be seen when and at what level fans will be allowed to attend events around the world. It seems empty stadiums are the new normal for now.