Sep 1, 2011
Ames
COVID-19+risk+infographic_withAuthors.jpg

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
In an attempt to get things back on topic...

How long do you think the “decision makers” can hold out before they need to decide:

1) no fans
2) no season

For reference, for the NCAA basketball tournament, decision time was 1) 2 weeks prior 2) 1 week prior. That may not be a good example though as COVID was just becoming a wide-spread problem in the US and there were way more unknowns.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
The GPAC conference...NAIA level schools like Morningside, Hastings, etc. in Nebraska and Iowa announced that fall sports are continuing as scheduled...including football.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That's not encouraging...seems like the modus operandi. Postpone the real decision as long as possible.
People haven't wanted a preseason for a long time honestly. Jimmy Johnson was on The Herd and was talking about how he thinks it'll be cancelled and would be surprised if it came back for another season.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006

How long do you think the “decision makers” can hold out before they need to decide:

1) no fans
2) no season

For reference, for the NCAA basketball tournament, decision time was 1) 2 weeks prior 2) 1 week prior. That may not be a good example though as COVID was just becoming a wide-spread problem in the US and there were way more unknowns.
I still think 01Aug makes the most sense, but it could go as long as 15Aug. I suppose it is possible to start camps, but delay a game decision, but I think that is unwise. This is an extremely difficult decision. It would appear those in charge find the current state of affairs unacceptable, and are hoping things improve. Personally, I see no reason why things will be better in a few weeks.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
No..............it's funny every time it's used.

"When required"? Well.....that was sort of the point. Menards "requires" I do it if I want to enter......but will still do business with me if I don't? They don't care how I conduct business....why should you?

Good for you if those 3 hours of masking a week make you feel more a man. Like Fred said on this very site........I go to the doctor.

I appreciate people like you.

Now when students ask me (middle school science), "Why do we have to learn _____?"

I can respond with "remember how half the us population did not understand how science works, and because of their inability to reason, they prolonged a pandemic and caused hundreds of thousands of needless deaths? That's why we learn science. So that you know how to make informed decisions based on facts, and not grow up to be a selfish tool."

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

1) no fans
2) no season

I'd wonder if they try to get into camp and see how things go first.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA

1) no fans
2) no season

Media days for the Big12 is August 3rd - I think their hoping for a positive trend. If things get better preparation for the season continues but if the trend continues or gets worse fans will be the first to go, next non conference games and then the season.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Just another thread turning from Cyclone sports to national politics. Man, it gets old.

How do you keep national politics out of a thread about how an international pandemic will affect whether there will be fans at games when the decision will be based directly on either action or non action by politicians and government officials?

Real question.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
How do you keep national politics out of a thread about how an international pandemic will affect whether there will be fans at games when the decision will be based directly on either action or non action by politicians and government officials?

Real question.

I would say a good start is to not be focusing on discussing news channels or talking about what other countries think about the US. Has nothing to do with fans in the stands at Cyclone games. Now the pandemic and news of the pandemic are relevant, and even the mitigation efforts or lack there of.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020

Real question.

Give me a break. If you can't keep your political opinions our of this thread that's a "you" problem.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
Give me a break. If you can't keep your political opinions our of this thread that's a "you" problem.
Thank you. It gets so old. There are plenty of threads for politics. Quite frankly don't go on the website nearly as much anymore because of the pervasiveness of the negative politicization of almost every thread.

Reactions: awd4cy

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Special thanks to geniuses like @Raiders70, @CYEATHAWK, @ArgentCy and @Cyrealist we won't all be able to enjoy college football or really any sporting events for the foreseeable future.

A mask for two months and this could've been over already and everything under control but unfortunately Americans allow stupid people to try to make decisions on their own.
These guys will be the biggest whiners when football gets canceled or have no fans

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Media days for the Big12 is August 3rd - I think their hoping for a positive trend. If things get better preparation for the season continues but if the trend continues or gets worse fans will be the first to go, next non conference games and then the season.
I'm thinking maybe non-con will go before fans. We PAY $$ to have the non-con teams come here, and LOSE $$ if the fans are not there.

Plus - gives a few extra weeks to reschedule conferences games if necessary a la the Big 10.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron