NO FANS AT CYCLONE GAMES?

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
That's just not true at all. Everyone touches the same produce table, everyone grabs a cart from a 16 year old who barely sprays the handle, everyone fills up with gas on a handle hardly ever cleaned.

At JTS, all you'd need to do is wear a mask, open your fly to pee and bring in a wet wipe to clean your hands. Never touching anything. Plus JTC is OUTSIDE, Hy-Vee is recirculated air that could already have the virus

And let's not forget how a virus can remain dormant on a surface like stainless steel for more than 14 days. Oh...........now I've done it. HAZMAT SUITS FOR EVERYONE!

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Fully bankrupt? No. But I'd imagine you don't see anything more than MBB and football going forward. I can't see keeping up non-revenue sports with that big of a financial pitfall.

So you think, after a single year of having no fans, that ISU would violate Title IX and cancel all non-revenue generating sports, which is everything other than MBB and Football?

This is a bit crazy.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Dude, why all the fear mongering? You honestly believe that the athletic department would go bankrupt if they just relied on TV and ad revenue this coming year?

See my earlier post where I used Florida State's athletic revenue as an example. TV money is like 1/3 of the revenue. Keep in mind that athletic departments are run as not-for-profit. They don't have massive cash reserves for a rainy day. Everything they bring in, they have to spend. Do you think expenses like debt service and building maintenance, scholorships, coaches salaries can just enter forbearance contracts?

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I don't think I can fight the urge to hi five everyone in my section after every touchdown. And there's going to be a lot of touchdowns
Just do it with a fake rubber hand tied to a six foot pole with no more than 10 people. You will be fine.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Is this even accurate? Hy Vee is far from socially distant. There's literally no way to go through my local Hy Vee without being within 6 feet of dozens of people. Plus you are all touching the same surfaces repeatedly.

I get the numbers are higher at Jack Trice but you're also dealing with a much, much larger footprint.

I'm not sure one is markedly better or worse than the other...

There's more room to spread out, but you would have to limit the number of people allowed into Jack Trice, but even then, not sure how you'd enforce it. A packed house, definitely less room. But if it's half full, sure, you can spread out.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Ah yes, the state representative who wants to destroy ISU athletics so she can stick it to her own district. How devious!

Nobody on that board is a state rep. Heddens is a county supervisor.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
See my earlier post where I used Florida State's athletic revenue as an example. TV money is like 1/3 of the revenue. Keep in mind that athletic departments are run as not-for-profit. They don't have massive cash reserves for a rainy day. Everything they bring in, they have to spend. Do you think expenses like debt service and building maintenance, scholorships, coaches salaries can just enter forbearance contracts?

Are you on the board? Do you run their finances? Do things like loans not exist? Have organizations all over the U.S. been renegotiating contracts with workers to take pay cuts to keep the organizations afloat?

Do you realize just how many options there are to keep things running on a temporary basis? It isn't as simple as "welp, less money this year, close up shop".

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Coming into contact with it does NOT mean a.) that you contracted the disease or b.) that your body can fight off the infection.

You're suggesting, with no evidence, no data, and no expertise to back it up, that we're just gonna magically have herd immunity by football time. That's not how this works.
BTW - herd immunity requires at lease 70% of the population to be exposed, and recover (or die?). Without a calculator that we’ll be about 230,000,000 in the US.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I completely agree with you. But I think it should also be noted "just don't have fans" is not that cut and dried either. I think the financial impact of that will be much more significant than people think, and there's a good possibility it will make Iowa State athletics not financially tenable going forward.

I'm not saying one consideration is more deserving than the other. It's just not simple either way.

Iowa State could absolutely survive a year of not having gate revenue. Priorities will be reevaluated and certain projects on the horizon will certainly be delayed but it would by no means bury the athletic department. We are lucky to have JP during these times.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
So you think, after a single year of having no fans, that ISU would violate Title IX and cancel all non-revenue generating sports, which is everything other than MBB and Football?

This is a bit crazy.

Keep in mind they've already lost out on the Big 12/ NCAA Tournament money.

The NCAA Board of Governors voted to allot $225 million to member schools, a 62.5% decrease from the expected $600 million. The shortfall is attributable to the cancellation of the NCAA’s biggest money maker, the men’s basketball tournament, plus all other canceled championships in winter and spring sports. . . .

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said on a teleconference Thursday that the NCAA revenue distribution will be a decrease of about $14 million from what his league had expected. . . .

The financial hits will keep coming from other areas for conferences, most notably the loss of league basketball tournament revenue. Bowlsby said his league lost about $6.6 million from the cancellation of its tourney in Kansas City

You have our coaches and AD taking pay cuts all the way back in April.

You have nearly 100 athletic programs already cut, and that's without the loss of football:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/stor...sports-programs-have-been-cut-during-pandemic

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Iowa State could absolutely survive a year of not having gate revenue. Priorities will be reevaluated and certain projects on the horizon will certainly be delayed but it would by no means bury the athletic department. We are lucky to have JP during these times.

"Gate revenue" is overly simplistic. Do you think people will continue to contribute at the level they do without tickets? I think you'll see a huge downturn in donations if there are tickets involved.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Just do it with a fake rubber hand tied to a six foot pole with no more than 10 people. You will be fine.
Excuse me?

13f58137833ce7d6ee12d2abf6a9732b.jpg

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Keep in mind they've already lost out on the Big 12/ NCAA Tournament money.

The NCAA Board of Governors voted to allot $225 million to member schools, a 62.5% decrease from the expected $600 million. The shortfall is attributable to the cancellation of the NCAA’s biggest money maker, the men’s basketball tournament, plus all other canceled championships in winter and spring sports. . . .

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said on a teleconference Thursday that the NCAA revenue distribution will be a decrease of about $14 million from what his league had expected. . . .

The financial hits will keep coming from other areas for conferences, most notably the loss of league basketball tournament revenue. Bowlsby said his league lost about $6.6 million from the cancellation of its tourney in Kansas City

You have our coaches and AD taking pay cuts all the way back in April.

You have nearly 100 athletic programs already cut, and that's without the loss of football:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/stor...sports-programs-have-been-cut-during-pandemic

I'm not saying that the athletic department won't be affected in any way, but people on here are arguing that the whole thing is just gonna come collapsing down, and that's just not true.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Nobody on that board is a state rep. Heddens is a county supervisor.

Yep, my mistake. I forgot that she moved to the county board last year.

But if anything, that makes this recommendation even more politically risky for her.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm not saying that the athletic department won't be affected in any way, but people on here are arguing that the whole thing is just gonna come collapsing down, and that's just not true.

Whole thing, maybe not. But again, I think you see alot of non-revenue sports on the chopping block. I just can't see a situation where you can keep up a program that doesn't at least pay for itself, if you're going to lose on gate, concessions and donations.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
"Gate revenue" is overly simplistic. Do you think people will continue to contribute at the level they do without tickets? I think you'll see a huge downturn in donations if there are tickets involved.

we've all donated for this year. I bet no one gets their money back. We all will donate next year.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Again, priorities will be shifted but Iowa State can get by. I refuse to find it acceptable to prioritize money over the health of thousands and thousands of people. This isn't just about the people who would attend the games. I renewed my tickets but it's looking less and less likely that we will go.

Reactions: Halincandenza