NIU, obvious top 25 team....

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
I wouldn't consider 2008 to be a competitive appearance. The game was not as close as the score indicated.....it was a sloppy field and a sloppy game by ISU to add to it. 2006 was closer to being competitive, but that one still felt like Iowa was going to keep ISU at bay no matter what. Each of those games ended with 2 score deficits. I think 2004 was the last time we were truly competitive there, and both teams ended up being fairly solid that year.

I don't think you remember that game very well.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
^^arguing with this guy is a waste of time.

Hey, I need to make that a shirt!

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I wouldn't consider 2008 to be a competitive appearance. The game was not as close as the score indicated.....it was a sloppy field and a sloppy game by ISU to add to it. 2006 was closer to being competitive, but that one still felt like Iowa was going to keep ISU at bay no matter what. Each of those games ended with 2 score deficits. I think 2004 was the last time we were truly competitive there, and both teams ended up being fairly solid that year.

Really? It was 3-3 at the end of 3 quarters. I don't think you remember that game as well as you think you do.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I don't think you remember that game very well.

Oh, I remember it pretty well. I recall a stupid penalty being called against LJ for helmet-to-helmet contact with Tony Moeaki, and that was definitely a turning point in the game. The other being the punt return for a TD. Even without those plays going against us, that was a team that couldn't finish and didn't know how to win with Chizik hosing things up. I remember we outgained Iowa by quite a bit, but moving them up and down the field doesn't matter much if you can't score.

sqfuzzy

Sep 1, 2012
I just watched Hawkeye highlights of the game... And my observation is that yes, we are speedier than them. I also think for the first time in a long time we won't be noticeably smaller than them across the board. Yes, we will be in some spots like CB and WR, but we're getting there

You guys also have fire and enthusiasm going for ya, I'd love to see Iowa come out and look like they are breathing some fire and taking names!

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
Iowa hadn't driven the field and punched one in all day. why does NIU not take a safety instead of trying to punt from the one, then take the drop kick and have Iowa starting at there own 40 on the ensuing drive (or possibly deeper)?

obviously hindsight is 20/20

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
I wouldn't consider 2008 to be a competitive appearance. The game was not as close as the score indicated.....it was a sloppy field and a sloppy game by ISU to add to it.

Huh?

ISU was a bad team, yet it was 3-3 going into THE FOURTH QUARTER @ Kinnick

ISU never recovered from that horsh#t call on our safety Leonard Johnson, who destroyed Moeaki on a screen, causing a fumble where ISU recovered.

Moeaki lowered his head last, and the ref threw a helmet-to-helmet flag on Johnson. Instead of ISU's ball at midfield, Iowa got 15 more yards and a 1st down

Last edited:

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
This game scares me.
Anyone remember 2009? Yeah.. Iowa barely beat UNI. Then proceeded to pi$$ pound us.

I don't see that happening this year. I actually seeing us to put up a lot if points.

I think our D will be okay. Iowa isn't fast. Whatsoever. Tulsa had more speedlol IMO. Plus fans are already tired of the wide receiver screens (sound familiar?)I think we pick up where we left off Saturday.
Clones-31
Iowa-17

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
Huh?

ISU was a bad team, yet it was 7-7 going into THE FOURTH QUARTER @ Kinnick

ISU never recovered from that horsh#t call on our safety Leonard Johnson, who destroyed Moeaki on a screen, causing a fumble where ISU recovered.

Moeaki lowered his head last, and the ref threw a helmet-to-helmet flag on Johnson. Instead of ISU's ball at midfield, Iowa got 15 more yards and a 1st down

that really seemed to be the momentum swing in that game.

but ISU had plenty of other opportunities that they missed on. such as allowing a punt return for TD

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
This game scares me.
Anyone remember 2009? Yeah.. Iowa barely beat UNI. Then proceeded to pi$$ pound us.

I don't see that happening this year. I actually seeing us to put up a lot if points.

I think our D will be okay. Iowa isn't fast. Whatsoever. Tulsa had more speedlol IMO. Plus fans are already tired of the wide receiver screens (sound familiar?)I think we pick up where we left off Saturday.
Clones-31
Iowa-17

iowa will not score 17 if their offense doesn't look drastically different then it did on saturday.

sqfuzzy

Sep 1, 2012
iowa will not score 17 if their offense doesn't look drastically different then it did on saturday.

Vandenburg usually plays much better at home for some reason so I'm hopeful but I still think you guys get us maybe 31-21.

Last edited:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm not sure which is more foolish. The guys claiming NiU is such a great team. Or the people talking about how dumb Hawk fans are for saying such.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
If I was a hawk fan I would be more worried about the UNI game. They were more impressive in the loss to WI that ISU was in the win over Tulsa and there is nothing worse than a loss to UNI. That is why I wish ISU would drop the series. If you beat them, so what, if you loose you are the laughing stock of the country because you lost to a lower level team.

As far as NIU have the best defense that Iowa will see all year, boy are they in for a surprise if they actually believe that. BTW, NIU might be the worst offense they see all year. Of course there are some pretty bad teams in the Big 10.

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
If I was a hawk fan I would be more worried about the UNI game. They were more impressive in the loss to WI that ISU was in the win over Tulsa and there is nothing worse than a loss to UNI. That is why I wish ISU would drop the series. If you beat them, so what, if you loose you are the laughing stock of the country because you lost to a lower level team.

As far as NIU have the best defense that Iowa will see all year, boy are they in for a surprise if they actually believe that. BTW, NIU might be the worst offense they see all year. Of course there are some pretty bad teams in the Big 10.

IDK, 17 offensive points = extremely potent by big 10 standards.