Nicest Golf Course You’ve Played

wisconcyn

Oct 21, 2006
Mequon, WI
Whistling Straits in Kohler, WI with a caddy. That guy saved me a bunch of strokes.

The Ocean Course at Kiawah. I hit my opening drive into the sea grass. The southern starter said to me in his best drawl, "you all paid a lot of money to play here, you deserve a mulligan." Put the next one in the middle of fair way.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I think the group thought it was awesome, it was around $230 -so more than we're usually spending out there -though we do pay ~$130 to play Pauite a couple days each time we go to Vegas. It was in great shape (March 12th ish) and had the most photo ops of any course I've played, for sure, definitely worth it -maybe can get a better rate in the summer?

We played in August (Wolf Creek). It was hot as balls but it was also pretty cheap. I don't remember what we paid but it was under $100. Living in the desert, hot doesn't bother me much but my midwest brethren were not impressed.

Paiute is excellent as well. Coyote Springs is even better, and is surrounded by nothing, similar to Paiute. That's supposed to change (housing) but given the economy, I don't see it happening for quite awhile. They're also adding another 18 holes, though I expect that to get held up as well.

Reactions: BurgundyClone

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
This thread is getting me fired up to go somewhere different and play. I have this nagging feeling that for some reason, I'm not supposed to go anywhere at the moment.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Can’t remember the name but there was one in the Ozarks that was really nice.
Had a sweet trip planned down in Ks/MO last year get cancelled by a family death of a friend.

Shoal Creek
Firekeeper
Swope

Anyone been to these?

There are some pretty good courses in the Ozarks. Old Kinderhook and Porto Cima are probably my two favorite. There was a Payne Stewart course down there that was a blast as well, but I don't remember what it is called. Tons of good golf down there.

I've played most of the courses in the KC area including the three you mentioned. Swope Memorial is a very old course with tons of huge mature trees. The clubhouse is really old (unless that has changed - I haven't lived there in quite awhile). It isn't in the same category as Shoal or Firekeeper.

Shoal Creek is a very good golf course. I would put Firekeeper in the "excellent" category, particularly for tournament golf. They can make that golf course incredibly difficult if they want to, and from the tips it's a beast. Too bad it is so far from...pretty much anything.

I have a great story from Firekeeper. I went back a few years ago for my birthday and four of us played. My friend John made a hole in one on 16, but we didn't see it go in. Still not sure why, the green is below the tee box but none of us saw it. Based on club selection and comparing it to my shot, we guessed John had went long over the green. It was super windy. After wandering around through the weeds for awhile, I walked by the cup to mark my ball. Son of a.....John's ball is sitting at the bottom of the hole. I say nothing. He goes to drop but someone else is hitting so I tell John to get the flag. He walks over and sees it in the bottom of the cup. My other friend figures out what is going on and he starts screaming. The final guy, who is the worst of the group, is way over yonder. He sees the three of us on the green hamming it up and he's yelling at us. We can't hear him over the wind and he can't hear us. It was a cluster.

I was gambling with John at the time, and he just went up two after I made par. We both par 17 (a very short par 4). On 18, I took the bomber route to the right, the other three went left (split fairway). I had 110 yards and I jar it for an eagle. WTF is going on here? Two friends, including John, didn't see it. The crappy golfer in my cart did. I told him not to say anything. The guy in my cart doesn't play often and says "this is why I don't play with you guys."

We get to the green and John asks where my ball is. I told him I made it. He says "from the fairway?" I say yes. He looks in the hole and the ball is sitting there. Lots of laughter. John makes par and we push our bet.

So I hole out for eagle on the last hole and didn't even get shot of the day. But at least I didn't owe him a beer.

We get in the clubhouse and tell the GM about the hole in one. He takes John's picture, gives him a pretty cool ball marker, says he'll send him something else. Crappy golfer says "what do you get for making an eagle on 18?" The GM says "you made eagle on 18?" Crappy golfer says, "no, he did", and points at me. GM says "who the hell are you guys? Do you play on any tours?" I said "none of us broke 80 and chump over here probably shot 150. Tour pros we are not." GM says that's cool but you get nothing. More laughter. The GM bought our first round, and we were the first group off so my friend got off easy on the beverages.

That was a fun day. Even the stop in Lawrence for a beer on the way home was fun.

Reactions: CloneinWDSM

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
That's been on my list to play. Looks really fun, good variety of holes. How did you like it?
I live in the Quad Cites and play Deere Run probably 6-7 times a year. The course is great and love playing there. Have shot a 78 and also a 96 so just depends how you are hitting that particular day. You all know what I mean!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Cabo del Sol - Ocean Course. It's listed as the 70th best course in the world. It's a Jack Nicklaus design. A breathtaking combination of desert and ocean. Let's just say I had no business being on it. The finish is absolutely incredible as 16,17 and 18 are right on the ocean.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
For Minnesota I've played a bunch but only a few really stick out as far nicer or more of a fun track to play.

The Legend @ Giant's Ridge - https://www.giantsridge.com/summer-activities/golf/the-legend-2/ (haven't played Quarry but want to)
The Legends Club - https://www.legendsgc.com/
StoneRidge Golf Club - https://www.stoneridgegc.com/
The Wilds - https://www.golfthewilds.com/
Greystone - https://www.greystonemn.com/
Personal favorites becuase they are well kept and play well to my game
Eagle Valley
Logger's Trail

Still have a few on my list that I need to knock off:
The Classic at Maddon's
Breezy Point
The Wilderness at Fortune Bay (not sure when I'll get up there lol)
Edinburgh
Royal Golf Club - now that it's been redone
Victory Links

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
1375717_10100307906245929_1686315819_n.jpg
1234557_10100307906076269_1231227948_n.jpg

Ballybunion in Ireland. Thank god I had a caddy who knew the course otherwise I would have lost 20 golf balls that day.

Others: East Lake, Medinah, Atlanta Athletic, The Quarry at Giants Ridge, Cabo Del Sol Ocean Course

Reactions: srjclone

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
For Minnesota I've played a bunch but only a few really stick out as far nicer or more of a fun track to play.

The Legend @ Giant's Ridge - https://www.giantsridge.com/summer-activities/golf/the-legend-2/ (haven't played Quarry but want to)
The Legends Club - https://www.legendsgc.com/
StoneRidge Golf Club - https://www.stoneridgegc.com/
The Wilds - https://www.golfthewilds.com/
Greystone - https://www.greystonemn.com/
Personal favorites becuase they are well kept and play well to my game
Eagle Valley
Logger's Trail

Still have a few on my list that I need to knock off:
The Classic at Maddon's
Breezy Point
The Wilderness at Fortune Bay (not sure when I'll get up there lol)
Edinburgh
Royal Golf Club - now that it's been redone
Victory Links

Love Breezy Point. Played it again last year for the 2nd time and it's a really fun place to play.

Reactions: srjclone

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Circling Raven in Worley ID. Special course - special experience.
Coeur d'Alene Resort Course - special treatment, immaculate course, some one-of-a-kind holes (floating green) but at its heart it's a resort course with fore caddies.
Tumble Creek - private course in Suncadia - Seattle technology money. No t-times, no divots, no other golfers, great location on the east slopes of the Cascades.
DesMoines G&CC was my home course growing up. Wish I gave more of a crap about golf back then.

I was supposed to play Torre Pines last year and have turned down several offers for Bandon Dunes in OR. Saw Terry Bradshaw and his "niece" at Torre. She was HOT and he was nothing short of delightful. A real crowd pleaser.

Sevey

Jun 16, 2007
Adel
Olde Farm Golf Course in Bristol, Virginia (Son was Superintendent)

Woodmont Golf Club in Rockville, MD (Son is Director of Golf Courses and Grounds)

ISUinOR

Nov 8, 2007
Portland, OR
Pacific Dunes and Bandon Dunes the first year they each opened. Had kids, haven't been back to play either, or the new courses. Hear they're nice, but Pacific is incredible.

tplumm

Mar 3, 2010
Ankeny
Back in my twenties my best friend and I played Butler National In Chicago and Poppy Hills which was a relatively new course between Pebble Beach and Spyglass. Eagle Ridge in Galena and Hawthorne Ridge in Aledo, IL were a couple favorites when I was in high school. Could not believe Aledo had such a nice course given it was a good drive from any city of size.

Reactions: drlove

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Some places warn visitors of the desert. “If your ball goes into the desert, leave it for the rattlesnakes”. At Colfax CC? Corn poison is the killer around that track, per locals.

I had a friend down here in Phoenix, he lives in Kansas City. We played at We-Ko-Pa. He would hit his ball into the rocks/brush and I would tell him to leave it alone. He would go in after it. After the third time he yanked his hand out of the shrub and said "****! Everything out here is trying to hurt me!" I told him to use a club if he's going to do that stuff. "Oh. Good idea."

That same day, the fountain in Fountain Hills, a few miles away, kicked on. Under full power it will shoot a geyser nearly 600 feet into the air. He looks over, sees this tower of water and says "a water main must have broken".

So he already had some struggles to begin with.

Reactions: enisthemenace

CyState85

May 8, 2019
Man...this thread is more depressing than the transfer thread. Some of you have gotten to play the best courses in the world.

True story—-I had a buddy in college that was the most unathletic person I’d ever met. He went to California for a week with his folks and told me he played golf. I didn’t think anything of it and he kept calling the course he played Pebble Creek. I finally asked to see pictures of him on the course and he had played Pebble Beach!!! He showed up to the course wearing jean shorts and a hoodie—-he had to purchase some items before he could play. Worst part—-he and his dad quit after 9 holes because they were hungry.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron